Question of University (1 Viewer)

interati

I'm a oversea student, I just accept my offer of B Business in UNCLE, for I'm just come Australia for 1 yr, I don't know is it a great Uni, in the homepage of UNCLE it says it was ranked 8th in whole Australia, but why the Uai cut-off for this uni is lower than some Uni ranked lower than it( like UWS)in same course? or does it mean the UNI is great, but the business course is not good?

Ribbon

The main reason is location. Newcastle, although its the largest non-capital city in Australia, is not as popular a location as Western Sydney. It works the same with the top universities, for example ANU (in Canberra) vs USyd, UTS, UNSW (all sydney unis). The UAI cutoff is all about supply and demand... more people allready live in sydney and want to go to sydney than newcastle, and so the UAIs in syd universities are generally higher... You can see this within the same business courses at UWS that are held a 3 different campuses... parramatta campus always has a higher cutoff for the same courses as the othetr UWS campuses because it is in a more desireable location...

As for a comparison of the business courses... I don't know which would be considered better, I havn't heard anything bad about newcastle business, if thats any consolation?

santaslayer

HSC
but like seriously, how many unis are there in aus?.....being 8th isnt really that good

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
well lets see, in NSW alone there is:
sydney
nsw
western sydney
newcastle
new england
southern cross
woolongong

umm...i think thats it

then theres all the ones in act, vic, sa, wa, nt, tas and qld

8th is pretty good

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
but like seriously, how many unis are there in aus?.....being 8th isnt really that good
Actually it's very good, Australia has many more universities than you think. Sydney alone has four, plus satellite campuses from at least three others.

Though the claim of "eighth" seems suspect to me, as Newcastle isn't among the Group of Eight. Perhaps it refers to studies in graduate employability or satisfaction. Could you please give more information?

Last edited:

interati

Originally posted by Lexicographer
Actually it's very good, Australia has many more universities than you think. Sydney alone has four, plus satellite campuses from at least three others.

Though the claim of "eighth" seems suspect to me, as Newcastle isn't among the Group of Eight. Perhaps it refers to studies in graduate employability or satisfaction. Could you please give more information?
I forget the web address I have seen it, But I'm sure it is on UNCLE's offical website, it says:8th of total 38 unis in Australia, But according to http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ranking.htm it should be 9th in total 39 unis

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
i don't know much about ANU. Like i keep hearing about it, but i don't understand the great ranking. does anyone have a list of the UAI's (or whatever is its equivalent) for it? its not in the NSW UAC book (the uni of canberra is)

qkrtjdxo

HSC
Originally posted by Cyan_phoeniX
i don't know much about ANU. Like i keep hearing about it, but i don't understand the great ranking. does anyone have a list of the UAI's (or whatever is its equivalent) for it? its not in the NSW UAC book (the uni of canberra is)
Check page 66.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Look at the world rankings, America has eight of the top ten Universities in the world:eek:!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by qkrtjdxo
Check page 66.
Ah, i see! Out of the millions of times i opened that book i'm surprised i never noticed that. Thanks qkrtjdxo :)

Originally posted by Merethrond
Look at the world rankings, America has eight of the top ten Universities in the world:eek:!
Yeah, if you go by those statistics. But i bet they probably have the worst universities in the world aswell. American's think they are the king of the world... dam them. (I'm not anti-American. They just shit me sometimes :/).

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But any student who goes to one will be paying off their loans until the end of the world.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
Well here is my list of every uni

Tas:
University of Tasmania
You forgot the Australian Maritime College:).

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah- bcoz i think everyones a full fee paying student there!

also isn't sydney uni. ahead of UNSW on that ranking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)