Question on Creative writing (1 Viewer)

Ben Schimschal

HSC
So i was doing my creative writing piece and i was wondering if we are allowed to include a famous quote at the beginning of it? i want to do it to set the mood of the piece.

umbreller

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends how you're doing it. It's not uncommon for authors to tuck one in under the chapter number to give a hint of the mood or foreshadowing of what's following as you said. But of course you're "allowed" to, and if the rest of it's good quality it's not as if you'd get marked down for it. Just don't choose a super cheesy or obvious quote I guess.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You can include more than one famous quotes if you want to in your story-it may break your story up into sections with each section related to each other yet related also to the quote, although that might be too complex. You are allowed to include a famous quote to begin a creative if you want, because after all, you are suppose to be 'creative' in creative writing-however you need to make sure that the quote either explicitly explores belonging or has some significant standing in your story that enhances its exploration of the difference facets of belonging. So don't just include it as a part of the plot-you should ideally include it so that the idea explored in the quote are interweaved into the thematic concerns of the story as a whole, and if you like, when you finish your creative piece-feel free to pm me-I will be happy to have a look over it:)-hope this helps, by the way

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You can. But chances are you're not using it well in such a short piece of writing.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
A lot of people do this and many of them tend to over do it. I recommend writing your creative piece first then once you've finished, read over it and see if it still needs it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)