Question (1 Viewer)

ZaraKu

HSC
This maybe a dumb question but no harm in asking.

Approx. a month ago I was called to do a Trial at a restaurant in Newcastle, I said yes, did the trial, all went well, was practically given the job (waitress/bar staff) got asked to do friday/saturday the week after. Went in the Friday, I get told I won't be needed on Saturday, which was fine. Brought in my bank and tax deets as asked then get told I am not working there anymore because they just realised they alrady had enough people. Kinda cut up about it. They said I will be paid for my trial + the Friday I worked the following Tuesday. checked bank account on the Tuesday - no money went in. It's been over a month now and I still haven't been paid for the work that they explicitly told me they would pay me for.

Should I be chasing them for said pay or should I let it go?

HSC
you have the right to ask for and get that pay owed to you. weather you follow up with it though is up to you.

ZaraKu

HSC
cool thanks, just wasn't sure if they had to pay me or if it was their choice.

HSC
Yea, if you want the money go for it and ask them.

Or if you don't really care, just let it go. :)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yes, they have to pay you, whether you think it's worth the hassle though, is another question.

ZaraKu

HSC
Well it was only around 100 bucks, but because its their legal obligation I'll chase it but I need the money. So off to Darby St. I go!

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
yeah don't just let it go. it may take a bit of effort but you are entitled to that money.

write them a polite email/letter/telegram. mention the exact hours you worked and request payment within x days. if they don't pay, report them to industrial relations. they are targeting this type of stuff atm. Young People at Work: Got the job: Trial work

aussie-boy

HSC
send a proper invoice and letter containing your demand/request
dont email/communicate informally

ZaraKu

HSC
I couldn't email them even if I wanted to - they don't have an email (bit suss if you ask me)

akrinis

HSC
What I've learnt from my previous employment workplace was that no matter the amount, if your employer isn't paying you correctly, you need to make sure they do, by any means possible. Never think, "It's only... $.." Every dollar counts, especially if you have worked hard for your keep.

It's your god-given right to pursue this to the end, so do what you feel is right. Does your ex-workplace part of a franchise? If it is, you might want to find out if there is a "HEAD OFFICE" or a higher authority you can go to to sort this out.

ZaraKu

HSC
No, it's a privately owned restaurant, I've typed up a formal letter, I'll ask my bf if it is written properly

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
My brother had a similar experience a year or so ago. He went for a trial shift with at a cafe/restaurant in town (can't say where as I don't remember). He got the trial from a friend as a kitchen hand he did two night trial shifts as far as I know he never got paid for it. My parents were of course sceptical when he mentioned what it was and from the sounds of things it's their way of getting free help when they are short staffed with the promise of a possible job that never eventuates.

akrinis

HSC
What the private restaurant has done is ILLEGAL and you can sue them for this. I'd take this matter to the Workplace Ombudsman or Fair Trading NSW, either is fine but you should get to this ASAP! The place sounds dodgy and they might not even acknowledge your letter let alone respond it.

You HAVE to be PAID for ALL HOURS WORKED; the restaurant has broken the law.

Unpaid trial work

moneystuff.com.au said:
Unpaid trial work

When you are offered a job you may be put on a trial or probation period to see if you can do the job. You must be paid for any work you do. Unpaid trial work is an illegal way of exploiting young people who are trying to gain work experience. Wages must be paid for all hours worked at the appropriate award rate.

You must also be paid for any training your employer requires you to do and the employers must pay for the cost of the training course.

Unpaid trial work should not be confused with school work experience programs. The purpose of work experience is for students to observe other workers and gain experience in the workplace. Work experience programs, including those conducted by schools and TAFE, do not require the participant to perform work. Often these courses are integrated with vocational training courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)