Questions about japanese speaking and writing exams (continuers) (1 Viewer)

Rennycoffee

HSC
1. Is it okay to use plain form in a speaking and writing exam (for both school and HSC)? and how about a little japanese slang? (eg. daijoubudayo) especially for speaking I would like to know if I would get marked down for using slang...

2. In both tests, is it good to use some さくらは「blahblahblah」 といった’ to use extra language structures (and some slang) or not at all? or is it better to incorporate them into your normal answers completely? (if you understand what I mean... sorry >_<)

MzSandikalz

HSC
i guess for writing, it would depend ~

Im guessing that for the writing section, a scenario would be given to us. and depending on who the person were suppose to write a letter to (or any other text type), we then decide to use plain form or masu form ~

Whereas speaking, the marker is obviously gonna be older and i suppose a "teacher", so polite form is needed =)

rmtz

HSC
I'm pretty sure that we aren't expected to use plain form in continuers, but it's okay to use it if you're writing a letter to a friend or something...but if in doubt, stick with masu form...

For speaking, yeah, i think polite form is good.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Dunno about what goes on with HSC Japanese, but in Japan, one generally writes in the plain form. It would be quite odd to use 'masu' form in writing except for directly quoted speech.

lizajane91

HSC
Do not use plain form in the speaking exam!! its seen as impolite because they are teachers and also it is the first time you have met....in written exams, depending on the text type you may be able to use plain form...diary/ letter to friend etc. But in general its better to use polite form.
I hated not using plain form but i got used to it because every time i used it my teacher got me in trouble lol..

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
You're going to need to use plain form for sentences like those with relative clauses anyway.
In speaking examinations or scenarios where polite form MUST be used, you'll need to END your sentences in polite form.
In writing tasks (never speaking exams), scenarios such as diary entries, letters to friends, etc require ENDING sentences in plain form.

I hope that clarified things a bit ^_^

cerys

because i can.
HSC
Speaking? Hasta be spoken in polite form.

Writing? It depends. Assume formal (letter to host family, article etc), unless it is a letter or email sent to a (close) friend, diary entry or the like.

Generally, I would advise against using slang unless the text you are writing calls for it (email etc.). Remember - don't put emoticons like: (^A^) as well!

For speaking, I would not speak in plain form or use slang at all. Well, not unless I was quoting what someone was saying like: I try to help out around the house but my mum often says "Don't worry! Its okay!" (「心配しないでよ!大丈夫だ」と言います」 or something like that, but I don't think the examiner will ask many questions that has opportunities for you to demonstrate that.

Also for point #2, I'm not very sure what you mean?

Hmm... Keep it sweet and simple and understandable. Don't use tons of structures (that you are unfamiliar with or aren't confident in using) just to sound 'smart'.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)