Questions about MHIS115 and Modern History in general. Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
hello all so I'm enrolled into MHIS 115 and I'll be taking MHIS units til at least 200 level cause MHIS makes up for the credit points I need and also cause I'm majoring in Politics for Social Science so MHIS units are a requirement.

Introduction to World History seems failry straightforward, making it seem imo like Prelim Modern History. But Just wondering what the course is all about and whether Modern History at Macquarie is good. They're be regular assessments right? If so then how are they?

And just out of curiosity, I know Macq U is quite reputable for its Dept of Ancient History so does this have a positive carry-over effect? How does MHistory stack up against Ancient?

Snooty

HSC
I havn't done MHIS115 but I have done a few 200 and 300 level MHIS units. I found Modern History in Macquarie to be great. Actually enjoyed it more than Ancient History which was surprising. All the lecturers know their stuff and most of them are reputable in their respective fields. They even found a way to make Australian History (which I hated in High School) to be interesting and enlightening. MHIS assessments generally consist of essays, class participation and the odd presentation. All depends on the unit you're doing.

Slafoo

HSC
N/A
Hey.

Did this course last year. Basically covers everything from the Big bang theory to the Silk roads and up until now, "The Modern era".

Doesn't really linger too much on any one topic and you can more or less pick and choose what you want to learn about.

Havn't done any other history courses, so can't really make a comparison, but as you said, it's fairly straightforward.

Theres only 3 essays to be done during the course plus tutorial participation. Again, you can pick and choose with the essays and its pretty easy to get decent grades (leniant markers).

Definately one of the more interesting electives I've done and David Christian is a great lecturer.

Do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)