Questions from a prospective student! (please help) (1 Viewer)

purplemonkey

HSC
Hi, could anyone here tell me a bit about nursing at UTS? I would like to know as much as possible about it, I have read the prospectus but I feel like that never gives you a realistic impression. What are the lectures like? Clinicals? Work load - can I still manage a part-time job? Roughly how much time you spend in class and working on assignments, etc? I would like to keep working while at uni if possible. Also, do you have to do a prac at a nursing home? I am not particuarly interested in going into geriatrics. This may seem a little vain but what are the clinical uniforms like? Are they comfy?? What are the assignments like? Obviously with the science you can't really sway one way or the other on what is the answer, so is it hard to make your essays etc stand out? (I come from a political science/international relations background so its very subjective in terms of writing pieces). One last thing, if anyone travels from out near Camden, how do yu find it? Thanks so much guys, I appreciate it!!

P.S. how do find the surgical pracs?

HSC
Hey there purplemonkey! Im nearly at the end of my 2nd yr nursing at UTS and its been great so far!

I understand what you mean by wanting to get an inside look at what its really like. Lectures are diff for each subject. In first yr it was usually 2hr lecs for the nrusing subs whcih there are 2 of and a 3hr lec for pathophysiology. The total hours i spend at uni this yr/week is about 14-15hrs.

You can definately still keep up a casual/part-time job, just make sure you keep on top of everything and are prepared for all the assignments. In first yr i must say the assignment didn't seem as heavy as 2nd yr, but i guess thats just the way it is, everything progressively gets a little bit more intense. The assignments are based around things such as case studies and nursing diagnosis, treatment and nursing care of patient. Also there are regular quizes in the subject called fundamentals of pathophysiology, which is about disease processes, treatments, pharamacology etc

About clinical! We started very early in semester one in the first yr, it was week 4-5, but u might want to check if that has changed to a few more weeks down the track now (still very early compared to most uni's, so its good in helping ppl decide if they really want to do nursing incase they are a bit worried)... But yea we had 2 clinical rotations each semester in first yr, 1 week for each nursing subject e.g. cardiovascular and respiratory. In 2nd yr its a similar case but the nursing subs run at the same time (unlike in first yr where during the semester u do the first 7 weeks as cardio and the rest as respiratory) but clinical is a similar situation.

UTS is also really good with using a range of diff hospitals aruond sydney and placing you close at ur local hosp if your lucky lol for all my placements ive been at my local hosp which is only a 10min drive. All placements have been really interesting and ive had the opportunity of being on wards such as resp, orthopaedics, ENT, peri-op, renal and resp again (next week when i go on clinical again). Oh and we do normal shifts in the hosps whether it be a 7am start till 3.30or an arvo shift from 1pm. We also have a facilitator who comes around to us while we're on the ward and helps us do things and we have certain objectives we have to achieve by the end of the 5 days.

I have not seen any nursing homes used, only hospitals, however there are rehab, aged care and palliative care wards you maybe placed on which have a high portion of elderly patients, its just part of the learning experience for now. However for mental health nursing some students are going into community health centres however still part of NSW health, whislt some are going to hospitals with mental health specialities. Oh and for childrens nursing sub in 2nd yr (not actually the sub major in which you do hosp clinical in 3rd yr if you choose it) you either go to a childcare or disability centre with children.

The uniforms have changed this yr so im not sure what the new ones look like but im sure its similar to mine which is pants/skirt and polo shirt and black shoes as per normal.

Oh and about getting good marks, as long as you apply yourself, research your essays and provide an array of sources you will do fine. Same goes for patho, study all the lecs and tuts and you will do great. I have managed to get all D's and HDs to date bar 1 Credit last yr, so its definately possible.

Hope this helps!!! Sorry for it being so long, but there is alot to say lol
Goodluck :)

Last edited:

purplemonkey

HSC
Wow, thanks lil georgie gal! You say you had a clinical in peri-op, what was that like? Also, how far is the city campus from Central station? (I have seen it in the distance waiting for the UNSW bus ;) ) Could you walk there easily?

HSC
peri-op was great, preparing pts before surgery then picking them up after from recovery :). Yeps the broadway campus is literally at central its 5-10 mins around the corner (depending how fast slow u want to walk lol)

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
Just to add, the uniforms did change and they are a teal blue shirt because apparently the polo tops were a little too see-through and people could see the girls bras under the tops. i hate the new uniform because the stitching does not allow any good free movement of the arms and everyone complained but i guess we're stuck with it.

hey georgie =)

HSC
Hey shanti :) how are you finding the nursing course? have you guys been out on prac yet? I just finished another week for adult nursing, 2 weeks of mental health coming up.......

Yea ive heard the new uniforms are not so good, and yea the reason is because you can see the bra's through the polo tops which are very comfy though :p

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
Eh, its ok. I just hate the 9am lecs soooo much. and the patho lec was a borrre today.

We're going out on prac in about 4 weeks i think. ive alrdy seen some of the 2nd or 3rd year nursing students out on clinical.

Awesome. Im keen in mental health.

And yeah, the polos look really nice comfy.

HSC
yea prob the 3rd yrs out and about, oh im dreading mental health this semester lol i just want to get through the next 2 weeks :D maybe ill have a diff opinion of it after that.

Yea i know what u mean i have all 9am starts this semester :O = horrible

absolutepureobl

manic monday
HSC
lil_georgie_gal said:
yea prob the 3rd yrs out and about, oh im dreading mental health this semester lol i just want to get through the next 2 weeks :D maybe ill have a diff opinion of it after that.

Yea i know what u mean i have all 9am starts this semester :O = horrible
Georgie, I'm a 2nd year too and I'm halfway through my mental health placement and I'm absolutely loving it! I was terrified going in and didn't want to do it either but it's nothing like you expect.

HSC
wow really lol yea ive heard from another friend that she's loving it too, i think im just going to have to go into it with an open mind haha i guess we dont have to do much either since we only had 1 week of classes to prepare us before hand so it shouldnt be too bad :p

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
Ooooooo i liked the polo shirts lol
just wear a singlet undearneath hahha
good to see you guys are enjoying it.
ask tonnes of questions whilst on prac and get yourself into everything you can..
best place to learn are one the wards! :)

purplemonkey

HSC
Hey guys, I have a few more questions if thats ok :) I went to your open day today and WOW your labs are FANTASIC! My sister and I got a bit lost coming from Central (its a lot further away than it looks)...but we got there eventually.

- How far away is the library? Is there a shuttle or something that goes there from the City campus? Why is it not there anyway?

- What do the new shirts feel like? I saw those white polos today, gee they looked comfy...

- How many days did you spend on campus in first year? (Its about a 2hr trip in for me so if possible I would like to only have 3 days at uni)

Thanks!!

HSC
To get to the library is easy its down near china town so its like 5 mins from central, no buses required. If you go there from the UTS building its roughly the same.

In first yr i was at uni 4 days a week but if u miss the lectures on one day u can make it a 3 day week.

The labs are pretty cool, with the manicans when u turn them on and they start coughing etc :p

purplemonkey

HSC
Thanks georgie...if I miss a day of lectures, is it easy to follow the material? Are the lectures/slides available on the net? I don't think I would mind 4 days so much if they were 2 full days and 2 half days...is that what it is like? (I am going to miss the laissez-faire lifestyle of being an arts student :p ) Also, is it really hard to get books around assessment time? For one of the best nursing unis you would think they would have heaps of resources...

HSC
Yea some days can be a few hours, whilst some can be full days depending on breaks etc. Lec slides are usually available online ive only had one subject where they were sort of slack with putting them up but that wasnt first yr and they eventually ended up online anyways. I find it fine if i miss a lec or 2 i dont try to do too many in a row cause reading back on them i feel like there are too many gaps but thats just me, id rather go and learn in that set time as id prob bludge anyways lol Also with patho i would recommend u go to the lecs however painful 3hrs might be its worth it in the end.

Umm yea books are pretty good to get but yea def try and get in early, but having said that if u get them early they do get recalled once the due date is up and u cant renew because another student has put a hold on it once it gets back.

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
This year I've been able to squeeze all my classes onto 3 days a week. Only a few unlucky ones would have tut and lab on separate days so they'd have to come 4 days a week.

I think 2007 was the last year they'd let us wear the polos. Sucks really.

I have clinical in 1 week! I hate wearing that stupid uniform! its uncomfortable.

HSC
Yea our yr was the last to buy the polo top uniform. Damn u guys are lucky this yr last yr we had our labs over 2 days on thurs and fri so unless u didnt come for the lecs on weds it was a 4 day week :p

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
ah that would have sucked.
I cant be bothered coming in for the wed. lecs so its practically 2 days a week!

bah i should get some sleep if i wana get the stupid early train to stupid uni for the stupid 9am lab followed by the boring 3 hr break and an excruciating 3 hr path lec! and then catch the train home at peak time.... ughh mondays are the worst.

purplemonkey

HSC
Hey guys...I have put in my UAC application and hopefully I will be getting into UTS City!! Anyone who was a non-yr 12 applicant in the past, can you give me any pointers on the Personal Statement? Also, this enrolment day we go to next year...do we have to buy clinical uniforms then or just try them on? And what is in the equipment pack we need to get? I know its not for another 3 months or so but I'm so excited because this is so different to my past uni degree :D

HSC
At the enrolment day u can purchase the uniforms but as i didnt know this before hand as u need a credit card to do so, i took a form and sent it into the company and still got my uniforms at the same time as everyone else.

With the pack ull get info on the day like a piece of paper that states what u need. I just got the essentials stethoscope, scissors, fob watch, cpr mask and a retractable name badge thing, and theres also the textbook pack which is about 4 books which u continue to use throughout the nursing course so its a good idea to buy those books sometime during sem 1 as they are always used.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)