Questions from a prospective student! (please help) (1 Viewer)

purplemonkey

HSC
Hey, we aren't expected to bring our textbooks to class every week are we? They are so bulky!

Also, I was looking at this: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/nmh/area/tables/nmh_b_hdbk.html so do we not have a clinical for cardiovascular? Do we go to both weeks, or do they split the people in the course in half due to number of vacancies in the hospitals? I heard they go by postcode but can you request a specific hospital?

Last edited:
HSC
I think they have changed clinical this yr for first yrs... so maybe a first yr on here could answer that, but yea u do 1 week either the 1st or the 2nd, its split cause of the no. of places.

They try to place u as close to your home as possible but you can't specify a hospital. Once the placements are released you can try and find someone to swap with and then request that, but otherwise its take what your given.

HSC
I had mine at KG, and i think majority were there. Really annoying since im a city student. But now im heading out to KG for the 3rd yr :(

Peteage

HSC
Hey

I also am hoping to study nursing next year at UTS. This thread has been a really awesome and encouraging read!

I was just interested (being a guy) what the Male : Female ratio was at UTS. Also, I was reading through the syllabus, and what exactly is pathophysiology? I am guessing it is the study of diseases and the body’s systems (but this was just by breaking down the prefix and suffix (providing patho refers to pathogens)).

Thanks in advance

purplemonkey

HSC
Hi Peteage! Glad you found some good info from my endless questions, everyone's been great in answering them all :)

I saw this stat in another thread, it may have changed though
upright said:
In a lab/tutorial of roughly 24 students, there are roughly 1-3 males.

Peteage

HSC
Thanks a lot. That is really a much higher then I would have anticipated; I did a Nursing course this year (in year 12) and there was 6 guys in a class of 30.

Also, I read on the UTS web site (http://datasearch.uts.edu.au/study/hscbonus-cal.cfm) that UTS was giving up to 5 bonus UAI points for nursing for people who perform well in certain HSC subject, but the ones for Nursing seem extremely generous (certainly most people would receive these extra points). I was just wondering if UTS was doing this last year as well, it perhaps might explain the UAI drop?

Thanks for your speedy response. By the way I like your signature!

HSC
Yea theres about a handful of guys in each lab/tut, just depends i guess.

In regards to the bonus UAI points i think that was introduced last yr (for the group that started this yr in 2008). When i was doing the HSC in 2006 im pretty sure it wasnt around but dont count me on that as i didnt put anything in for bonus points at the time.

Also pathophysiology is just the physiology of the body and the pathology (diseases) that occur to that particular part of the body. Each of the 4 pathophysiology subjects is based around the specific nursing subject u are studying that semester. E.g. respiratory, neuro-endocrine etc

Goodluck with getting in guys

HSC
Mantoux tests are usually done by specific centres or pathology places, your dr will prob refer you to one. It does take a while to get into these places, so once u get your vaccine card at the orientation day, start getting the stuff ticked off, itll make it easier once clinical comes around.

purplemonkey

HSC
Thanks georgie! Does it hurt, or is it just like a normal needle?

Also, I've been reading up on orientation for next year and it says we have to attend all the "core" sessions. I was wondering whether you guys went to these or not, and if you didn't are you at any particular disadvantage? Here's the site:
UTS: Orientation February 2009 - University of Technology, Sydney

HSC
Yea it doesnt overly hurt.

Umm gosh i can't even remember orientation that well. Pretty sure i went to most days, i met a few ppl from the course on those days, but the orientation days werent that helpful, one was a complete waste of time i left after the first few hrs cause it entailed all the new UTS students sitting in the great hall for hours and listening to ppl talk = waste of time

The most important day was the compulsory nusing enrolment etc

Goodluck!!!

Peteage

HSC
I am tossing up alot between studying my B of nursing at UTS or at Notre Dame and I am currently swayed towards UTS because I can choose a sub-major in third year. Do you think this is a definate advantage i.e. will it make me more employable in my sub-major or make getting a major in that field any easier?

HSC
Peteage said:
I am tossing up alot between studying my B of nursing at UTS or at Notre Dame and I am currently swayed towards UTS because I can choose a sub-major in third year. Do you think this is a definate advantage i.e. will it make me more employable in my sub-major or make getting a major in that field any easier?
Well ive heard about notre dame's course and it doesnt sound as upto UTS that and they do clinical during the holidays, but thats just my biased opinion :p

In terms of the sub-majors this was what swayed me to UTS and not USYD. In my opinion, in the first 2 yrs u get ample time to dabble in all sorts of nursing fields from mental health to respiratory to renal etc I think the final yr being given that choice of what you feel you would liek to expand your knowledge on is definately is an advantage for future practice. If you feel really strongly about paediatrics then being able to do that for a semester or two in final yr could be a great advantage over someone who may have done only 1 subject in it. Likewise with mental health, aged care or medical-surgical. I think it also allows you more time to hone in your skills in a particular area that interests you.

Thats my 2 cents, goodluck choosing! :)

purplemonkey

HSC
Hey guys, I am off to do my stationary shopping for uni tomorrow (I love Officeworks :D ) and I'm just wondering if I will need a calculator, standard or scientific? I'm assuming with stuff like pharmacology you would need to work out drip rates / med doses etc. Or do I not need to worry about it at all?

Thanks!! 18 days til offers!

cxlxoxk

HSC
i was under the impression it was 17 days till offers, correct me if i'm wrong.

Peteage

HSC
lil_georgie_gal said:
Well ive heard about notre dame's course and it doesnt sound as upto UTS that and they do clinical during the holidays, but thats just my biased opinion :p

In terms of the sub-majors this was what swayed me to UTS and not USYD. In my opinion, in the first 2 yrs u get ample time to dabble in all sorts of nursing fields from mental health to respiratory to renal etc I think the final yr being given that choice of what you feel you would liek to expand your knowledge on is definately is an advantage for future practice. If you feel really strongly about paediatrics then being able to do that for a semester or two in final yr could be a great advantage over someone who may have done only 1 subject in it. Likewise with mental health, aged care or medical-surgical. I think it also allows you more time to hone in your skills in a particular area that interests you.

Thats my 2 cents, goodluck choosing!
Thanks a lot for putting in an effort to respond. I think I will leave UTS as my first preference, I was just kind of taken back by their really flashy campus they had in Darlinghurst for Medicine and Nursing. And you are right, they do have some clinicals in their holidays (but they do 11 weeks each year) so I wouldn't expect otherwise. Can I ask; how many weeks does UTS devote to clinicals? I am not sure if the lady at the open day I spoke to said 7 or 9.

cxlxoxk said:
Yea main rounds are 21st (9pm). I suppose now is a good of a time as any to begin the countdown. As an undergraduate applicant I am just hoping the UAI for the city campus doesn’t have a sudden spike. I certainly hope you guys make the course as well; you certainly seem dedicate/devoted enough.

purplemonkey

HSC
cxlxoxk said:
Well I was couting the 21st as well since the offers don't come out til 9pm, its a whole day extra

Peteage said:
I certainly hope you guys make the course as well; you certainly seem dedicate/devoted enough.
Lets hope so! I want to get into this course so badly!! *fingers crossed*

HSC
Ummm about the calculator thing, we dont get to use them its all freehand mathematics like fractions etc but u can use one to practice to check etc all u need is a cheap simple one.

Ummm about Notre Dame Peteage... what the 11 weeks clinical? Im pretty sure its not that much per year. Cause they would do about 2-3 weeks at the end of each semester so ends up being around 5-6 weeks all up. I know that even USYD dont do 11 weeks, esp in first yr. Maybe in the final yr they might do 11??

In regards to UTS in first yr you do 4 weeks all up and 5 weeks in 2nd yr u do 5 weeks all up. 3rd yr not entirely sure but its def alot more, ill find out soon when uni comes back...

And goodluck with offers guys :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)