• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Questions from interested 08ers. (3 Viewers)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Ok guys,
here are my options:

Economics

Econ/science

econ/arts

econ/science(psych)

econ/comm.

they all sound good.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
New question;
If Johns is the only college that interviews people, what do the other colleges base their decision on?

Evilo

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
New question;
If Johns is the only college that interviews people, what do the other colleges base their decision on?
they are just assigned people from the UAS. See the first year guarantee has to accept all the students who applied, so they have to take what they get given.
Because johns and burgmann are not owned by anu, the 1st year guarantee does not apply - but for obvious reasons they still take a significant number of first years.

Evilo

HSC
So does anyone have pics of the showers/bathrooms and the colleges?
i lol-ed again. I sware i emailed you about this.

All the hallways/blocks have a seperate shower/toilet facilites - meaning you dont have to walk further than about 20m. There are 5 "cubicle' showers in a row, and 5 'cubicle' toilets in a row. They've all got nice doors with locks on them. Showering together (with the opposite sex) is encorgaed for environmental reasons (jk).

Myths - Don't believe Anything you see on any american "frat house" movie. There are no windows where boys can watch you shower, girls + boys dont walk around naked, there are no showers with just 'heads' along a wall, you're not going to have a drug addict unconscious on the bathroom floor etc etc (any more myths i need to squash?). Tbh come to open day - its really worth it. Plus i'll be a tour guide :D

Last edited:

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Evilo said:
they are just assigned people from the UAS. See the first year guarantee has to accept all the students who applied, so they have to take what they get given.
Because johns and burgmann are not owned by anu, the 1st year guarantee does not apply - but for obvious reasons they still take a significant number of first years.
Heads of halls choose who goes to each college, not UAS. at bruce this year there were 7 applicants for each available place. our head was the one who chose which of those applicants got in (based on whatever criteria she felt like, i guess). obviously most of those were first years.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Evilo said:
So if i apply for b&G i'll get in for sure because of the 1st year garantee?

falcon07

HSC
B&G will be at 3/4 capacity next year due to renovations, so there probably won't be enough rooms for everyone applying.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
So if i apply for b&G i'll get in for sure because of the 1st year garantee?
The first year gurantee means you get a place somewhere. It may or may not be where you wanted, don't stress about it most people I've asked got in where they wanted. Just don't leave it until the last minute.

Also, who the f&$^ likes B&G? :p

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
Econ/Comm or Econ/Arts.
not too interested in eco/comm

but econ/arts sounds good.
I can do politics or int. relations.

psychology sounds fun too though.
So i don't know. Still deciding...

Evilo

HSC
humphdogg said:
Heads of halls choose who goes to each college, not UAS. at bruce this year there were 7 applicants for each available place. our head was the one who chose which of those applicants got in (based on whatever criteria she felt like, i guess). obviously most of those were first years.
wow news to me.
I can't see that as 100% true. i mean they have to put everyone somewhere. It would be kind of silly if every person who fell below the cut of each hall was just sent to rex/fenner.

Speaking of which, fenner is doing pretty well, and bruce is doing pretty shit in the sports shield atm. :p

Sammy-Blue said:
The first year gurantee means you get a place somewhere. It may or may not be where you wanted, don't stress about it most people I've asked got in where they wanted. Just don't leave it until the last minute.
Quoted for truth.

BackCountrySnow said:
psychology sounds fun too though.
So i don't know. Still deciding...
psyc was good, i did it in first year for "kicks". :)

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Are you doing a B science Evilo?
yeah bachelor science (geology) :)

[double major geology] - but i 'dabbled' in quite a number of first year courses - psyc, comp sci, and sres etc :)

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
Evilo said:
wow news to me.
I can't see that as 100% true. i mean they have to put everyone somewhere. It would be kind of silly if every person who fell below the cut of each hall was just sent to rex/fenner.

Speaking of which, fenner is doing pretty well, and bruce is doing pretty shit in the sports shield atm. :p
well yeah, they do have to take a certain amount of first years so that the first year guarantee goes ahead. but the heads to get to pick who.

and yeah, fenner's doing pretty incredibly this year. bruce's first years aren't great, unfortunately...

Evilo

HSC
humphdogg said:
well yeah, they do have to take a certain amount of first years so that the first year guarantee goes ahead. but the heads to get to pick who.

and yeah, fenner's doing pretty incredibly this year. bruce's first years aren't great, unfortunately...
hmm i spoke to a bloke at fenner, apparently their sports rep is top notch and its pulling everyone to events.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
humphdogg said:
Because the inter-hall sports shield is the only worthwhile way of assessing the quality of the first year intake, right? That doesn't surprise me coming from a Johns boy. TBH the first years look fine.

blacksunset

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Fenner's isn't on campus though is it?
bit far off..
yeh its like 2.5 k off i think
yeah b&g are cuttin down ressies, but they will stillhave new people coming. there are lots of people finishing their degree and leaving, so u would stil have a good chance to get in.
i think some of the ressies will be going to the new college being built too.. i cant remember what the e-mail said...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)