Questions Regarding English Techniques (1 Viewer)

bella4edward

HSC
1. Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthral me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.
What literary device is John Donne using here?

a. malapropism

b. litotes

c. paradox

d. antimetabole

2. Which of the following lines contains a metaphor? (You may choose more than one option.)

a. She uttered a piercing cry.

b. My mistres eyes are nothing like the Sunne. (Shakespeare)

c. The day of his death was a dark cold day. (W.H. Auden)

d. Swift as a weaver’s shuttle fleet our years. (Robert Browning)

3. An omniscient narrative is one which:

a. Is written in the third-person.

b. Is written from the first-person point of view.

c. Is devoted to religious themes.

d. Employs an unreliable narrator.

4. Which of the following examples does not link the quotation grammatically with the introductory phrasing?

a. The happiness and gaiety of both children and old people are missing in William Blake’s poem ‘London’, and in their place:

And mark in every face I meet
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

b. The happiness and gaiety of both children and old people are missing in William Blake’s poem ‘London’, in which he finds in every face he meets
Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

c. The happiness and gaiety of both children and old people are missing in William Blake’s poem ‘London’: I wander through every chartered street…
And mark in every face I meet
Marks of weakness, marks of woe

5. Which of the following pairs of words rhyme?

a. flow and grew

b. snow and sew

c. dough and tough

d. flow and flew

6.Which of the following statements do you believe to be most accurate?

a. Tone refers to the mood or atmosphere of a passage.

b. Tone refers to the attitude of the writer towards the reader or the audience or the subject matter of a literary work.

c. Tone refers to the musicality of the sounds of words in a passage.

7. Which of the following is an example of onomatopoeia?

a. And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man’s smudge and shares man’s smell.

b. Love in these Labyrinths his Slaves detains,
And mighty Hearts are held in slender Chains

c. And mid-May’s eldest child,
The coming musk-rose, full of dewy wine,
The murmurous haunt of flies on summer eves.

Thanks in advance!

ac91

HSC
These appear to me to be rather difficult.....
I'd say the first one is a melapropism...
For the 2nd one I would probably go with the last option however I'm not 100% sure. Maybe someone could clarify this? or correct me?
For the 3rd one I would go with a. As this form of narrative is written in 3rd person by someone who is impartial....
For 4 I would say B.
5-B.
6. A
7- I find rather difficult. I would probably go with B as the chains may refer to noise? But I am rather unsure of that one...

I would just like to say this is what I Think are the answers. I am not 100% sure. Maybe someone could clarify or correct if they find them in some way wrong....

;)

Last edited:

bella4edward

HSC
thanx 4 ur help

heres ur rep

p.s. even if more ppl answer, i will still +rep them;)

bella4edward

HSC
free rep+ again

Match the pairs:

Irony:
1. A use of language that exposes and derides humanity's vices and foibles through through humour or ridicule.

2. The relationship between stressed and unstressed syllables in a line of verse.

3. A use of language that invites us to understand something other than the 'surface' meaning of the words.

4. A figure of speech that bestows human characteristics upon anything nonhuman.

Satire:
1. A use of language that exposes and derides humanity's vices and foibles through through humour or ridicule.

2. The relationship between stressed and unstressed syllables in a line of verse.

3. A use of language that invites us to understand something other than the 'surface' meaning of the words.

4. A figure of speech that bestows human characteristics upon anything nonhuman.

Personification:

Rhythm:

Thanks in advance!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Re: free rep+ again

Try wikipedia next time. The definitions given are almost exactly taken from there.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
For the first thing, here's what I think:
1C
3A
5B
6A

Not sure about the rest.

WOA

HSC
lol ENGL101 eh?
most of these answers are easily googled without resorting to public posts on messageboards!

...especially with a twilight nickname! ;)

I have all those answers except the metaphor one - I am starting to think UNE actually fucked that question up - but the last thing i need is UNE booting me out of the unit for handing out answers. send me a PM if you need a hint or two :)

chopin

HSC
This is pretty sad. Not only is this extremely lazy but it is also an act of cheating and a serious breach of UNE confidentiality on teaching material.

I suggest you work these out for yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)