Quick case note question (1 Viewer)

murphyad

HSC
Hey folks,

Just wondering when exactly it is necessary to write up case notes? Is it necessary for every case you encounter in your reading, or just for the ones you think you need to write a case note for, or simply the ones that your lecturer/tutor suggests require case notes?

Cheers

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I only written 1 case note in me life for an assessment. It's not really necessary, unless you want HDs and such...

Camleigh

HSC
Hey folks,

Just wondering when exactly it is necessary to write up case notes? Is it necessary for every case you encounter in your reading, or just for the ones you think you need to write a case note for, or simply the ones that your lecturer/tutor suggests require case notes?

Cheers
Yeah, if you want good marks, you need to know the case authorities. I have been working on many of the LEADING cases in contracts (a subject I'm studying at the moment) and I'm writing out a paragraph of ratio and obiter per case. It is not only helpful for being able to refer to the case law in exams, it helps you develop legal reasoning skills (which are again impressive in an exam).

I would start as early as possible and do the cases each week (even if you find it boring) because the work load will be manageable. I'm regretting not managing my time more effectively in first year because I averaged about 70% and I know I can do better.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I find it worthess to write out a specific case note, but reading the most vital cases in full and drawing out all the useful principles, examples, exceptions etc from them and stuffing those into your notes under the topic heading is very useful when they inevitably crop up in an essay question on an exam.

If that's writing a case note, then... the important ones. The others just grab the principle and a fact or two from and leave them.

Camleigh

HSC
I find it worthess to write out a specific case note, but reading the most vital cases in full and drawing out all the useful principles, examples, exceptions etc from them and stuffing those into your notes under the topic heading is very useful when they inevitably crop up in an essay question on an exam.

If that's writing a case note, then... the important ones. The others just grab the principle and a fact or two from and leave them.
Yep, doing all that is terrific for knowing how to argue for the plaintiff/defendent in the exams, but I always have a summary of the main cases (not so much the material facts, but the principles held) as you refer to them in the exam. ie. "In _____, it was held that you must take reasonable care.....etc". It's best to prove that you know your cases.

Camleigh

HSC
And there's usually not ONE principle, but several. Hence, a lot of reading and analysing.

HSC
Read or borrow "Connecting with law" Michelle Sanson it has a guide on how to structure n what to include on page 51-58.

Camleigh

HSC
I have a little book called Mastering Law Studies and Law Exam Techniques by Richard Krever.

It's really, really good but a bit expensive :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)