• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Quitting Smoking (1 Viewer)

HSC

And congratulations Tulipa, that's awesome. Good luck, although I'm sure you'll do splendidly. Same goes to Riet.

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
i dont really mind either way.
but i do think that threads like this are exactly the type that Lifestyle forums are made for.
The benefits to be gained from quitting smoking are too great to have the effort derailed by the location of a thread.
it'd seem hypocritical of me to tell members that they should help other members with their questions in the lifestyle forum and then not help a member when i have the opportunity to.

So, if it helps riet quit then i'll move it back with a permanent redirect.
let me know.

Last edited:

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I don't care where it is.

Just remind me that smoking is ucky and I smell bad and that quitting is the best thing for me.
Smoking is ucky and you smell bad and quitting is the best thing for you.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
you know why they sent you out of the office to reception, dont you?
hahahaha damn.

They're all sceptical actually :( My boss is like "we've all heard that before" and I felt like stamping my foot and being like "No! Fo serious!". But I didn't because I work in a professional environment... Not really. My boss just promised to bring in those candy cigarettes for me :eek: That's going to be awesome.

Also, I did this smoking cost calculator thing and on average I've been spending just over a grand on cigarettes every year. More incentive!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
lol my dad spent like 5k on cigarettes a year before he quit (pack a day @ 14ish a pack)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
:confused:

nah i dont do it around nick. it's mainly a stress mechanism thing. working full time + full time uni = dead and it's the only stress releasing outlet ive got atm

but now that soccer is back on ill probably replace it with exercise to try and get more fit

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
The magnitude of epidemiologic risk posed by third-hand smoke is currently unknown.
I think for it to be statistically significant in any case, I'd have to smoke within minutes of having contact with him.

I smoke in the morning after he has gone to school and at lunch at work, and I've had a shower and change of clothes before I have too much physical contact with him (also on account of working with diseased people).

More chance of him being exposed to the shit when I take him for a walk down the main street.

Meh.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I think for it to be statistically significant in any case, I'd have to smoke within minutes of having contact with him.

I smoke in the morning after he has gone to school and at lunch at work, and I've had a shower and change of clothes before I have too much physical contact with him (also on account of working with diseased people).

More chance of him being exposed to the shit when I take him for a walk down the main street.

Meh.
Can you justify taking that risk though?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Can you justify taking that risk though?
No because I just read the study it's based on.

Infants of smoking parents are at a particular risk of secondhand smoke exposure through contaminated house dust and surfaces. During their first year of life, infants spend much time indoors, are in close proximity to contaminated dust and objects (for example, blankets, carpets, floors), and are in close physical contact with their smoking parents.
I didn't smoke while Nick was an infant.

Nicotine was detected in the living room air and the bedroom air in all smoker households and 97% of non-smoker households.
:rolleyes:

For this to be a significant worry to me, I'd have to
a. Smoke when Nick is at home (even if it is outside)
b. Smoke a considerable amount of cigarettes per day (2-3 max, and not on a daily basis, imo does not contribute any statistical threat)
c.
There is yet much to be learned before we know how to comprehensively assess the risks of ETS exposure and effectively protect non-smokers from ETS.

P.S. Stop trying to make me feel guilty.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I think the question you should be posing is whether I feel bad about potentially cutting my life short and leaving a kid. In any event, I understand my problem and I understand what is required to quit.

I'm just lazy.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
And stressed :(

Making a concerted effort to stop though. Soccer season is upon me, AND I want to get into the Army and there is no way I can maintain the fitness required while smoking.

And, exercise to me is a much better feeling than smokes anyway. So give me a week and I'll be with you Riet.

And then we can skip in meadows of kittens and puppies together.

Laika_

Banned
HSC
hey katie stop smoking or i will ask you for a durry infront of everyone on sunday

Edit: try and sabotage me and ill ask u for some pot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)