r u into asian films? (1 Viewer)

LiLeah04

HSC
has anyone seen that korean war/thriller movie, J.S.A, it was directed by park chan-wook. it just came out on dvd in the states. it suppose to be about a incident that happens at the border of north and south korea, which raises tensions at the borderanyone one know what i'm talking about?

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
someitmes watch one or two on world movies if the trailer looks good.

old martial art movies are always great aswwell

studynoob

HSC
N/A
i always watch japanese horror flims (does that count towards asian films? *sarcastic*)

- ju-on the grudge 1 and 2
- the ring (japanese)
- phone (korean)
- one missed call (japanese)
- the eye (japanese)
- dark water (japanese)
and many more personally i find most originals better than the american remakes but the remakes are enjoyable to watch!!!

asian flims rocks!!!!

scoby_2000

HSC
i hated any asian film coz i hate the way asians act and stuff like full quick and way to over-emotional (e.g. jackie chan or the guy in Battle Royal)

however much i hated the guys acting in it Battle Royal was def. one of the coolest films i hav ever seen....i just loved the idea

so yea i suppose i liked asian films after that

never been into asian horror tho

recommend?

nwatts

HSC
I quite like a variety of asian films. I love the animated work of Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki, as well as select work from Hong Kong director Wong Kar-Wai. And I love the work of Zhang Yimou (bar House of Flying Daggers).

I enjoyed the Infernal Affairs series as well.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
nwatts said:
I enjoyed the Infernal Affairs series as well.
I don't understand what was so great about infernal affairs; it was pretty boring imo...

Especially the 2nd and 3rd ones...

I like the classics. The gambling god ones and y&d...:p

nwatts

HSC
miss_b said:
I don't understand what was so great about infernal affairs; it was pretty boring imo...

Especially the 2nd and 3rd ones...

I like the classics. The gambling god ones and y&d...:p
I thought they were fantastically stylish, had a great energy to them. I didn't like the 2nd one much, but I thought 1 and 3 were great.

On that note too, I can't wait for Martin Scorsese's remake of Infernal Affairs due for release next year.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
nwatts said:
I thought they were fantastically stylish, had a great energy to them. I didn't like the 2nd one much, but I thought 1 and 3 were great.

On that note too, I can't wait for Martin Scorsese's remake of Infernal Affairs due for release next year.
Oh i heard about that...

Who's playing who? All i remember is that leonardo dicaprio and matt damon are in it, i think...

nwatts

HSC
miss_b said:
Oh i heard about that...

Who's playing who? All i remember is that leonardo dicaprio and matt damon are in it, i think...
Yeah, he's changing the setting from whatever asian city Infernal Affairs was set in to urban America (Boston I believe). With Irish gangs instead of the triads in Infernal Affairs. There's quite a big lineup of actors. Have a browse - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407887/

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Ah...

So andy lau's character is played by matt damon and tony leung's character is played by leonardo dicaprio...

But meh, not really a fan of dramas...

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yes.. the Scorcese remake of Infernal Affairs looks super promising. DiCaprio's possibly the best under 35 actor around right now, while Matt Damon has always been solid if not spectacular. Good choices by Marty I think, because Leung's character requires a tad more flair than Lau's I'd think.

miss_b- That tv series in your sig is one of my favourites :). Gotta love the leading couple.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Benny_ said:
miss_b- That tv series in your sig is one of my favourites :). Gotta love the leading couple.
And the incredibly unrealistic bird...:p

I was 7 or 8 when i first watched and when i watched it again, i still remembered the entire story line lol...

Oh, my favourite asian film of all time is love undercover!

funniboi

HSC
Infernal Affairs part 1 was pretty cool; the only one i've seen in the series tho.

Battle Royale was alright as well..

i love asian films, expecially the old school ones,
storm riders was the best, young and dangerous series was awesome, legend of speed, legend of zu, once upon a time in china (wong fei hong) *gotta love oldschool jet li*, old school jackie chan, drunkenmaster, iron monkey, etc etc!!

funniboi

HSC
oh yeah, and god of gamblers, that was a mad series,

asian comedies are cool too, god of cookery, men are from mars, ummm..

other great ones, gen-x cops, gen-y cops, my school mate the barbarian, fly me to polaris (cecilia is in it), para para sakura, there's heaps more, i can't remember them cause i havnt seen most of them for so long, but it'd be great for everyone to list old favourites, that we can go hire and kick back for a nice night at home watchign movies.

dza

Large Member
HSC
LiLeah04 said:
has anyone seen that korean war/thriller movie, J.S.A, it was directed by park chan-wook. it just came out on dvd in the states. it suppose to be about a incident that happens at the border of north and south korea, which raises tensions at the borderanyone one know what i'm talking about?
Yeah I've seen it - one of the better Korean films out there. The "incident" the story is based around is 2 South Korean soldiers befriend 2 North Korean soldiers, who cross the border to hang out with each other, but one day get caught. Definitely worth a watch. Don't know about it being a "new release" though - I bought it at the beginning of 2003 and you can get it from any Video Ezy / Blockbuster with a semi-decent Asian film section.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
scoby_2000 said:
i hated any asian film coz i hate the way asians act and stuff like full quick and way to over-emotional (e.g. jackie chan or the guy in Battle Royal)

however much i hated the guys acting in it Battle Royal was def. one of the coolest films i hav ever seen....i just loved the idea

so yea i suppose i liked asian films after that

never been into asian horror tho

recommend?
Do you hate the way all asians act or do you just notice the ones who can't act. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen many horror genra based films but I have seen the original The Ring series in Japanese.

Kung-Fu Hustle is actually being released in cinemas right now and it's hilarious. (Comedy) on par if not better than Shaolin Soccer a few years back.

There are occasionally a few on SBS. I remember one where this town was infested with zombies and there were these guys in a rock band who had to save the world. And there was another about a skinny male trying to become a professional wrestler and to get away from his boring office job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)