r u into asian films? (1 Viewer)

fantasia

HSC
yes oldboy is a movie definately worth catching.

but if you're into like extreme violence... catch some takashi miike films like audition, or ichi the killer. you'd be watching with a cold sweat :)

IceBreaker

HSC
miss_b said:
Japanese people look down upon chinese and korean people? :confused:
mainly japanese and koreans. they had past wars with japanese trying to conquer their land coz they needed more...land

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
If anyone watches Filipino movies, then I recommend Feng Shui
It's really scary

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Oh there was another one acted out by Zhang ZiYe as one of SBS's foreign films...she played a chinese peasant girl...Loved the cinematography there - very romantic..

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
x_symmetry said:
Oh there was another one acted out by Zhang ZiYe as one of SBS's foreign films...she played a chinese peasant girl...Loved the cinematography there - very romantic..
The Road Home.. I liked Zhang Yimou much more before he tried his hand at empty and pretentious martial art films.

x_symmetry said:
2046 - wong kar wai
That makes 2 of us.. 2 of us versus about a million people who hated it.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
So many weird Jap moviez on recently.

Chingu, shown like 2 weekz ago on SBS, waz also pretty decent.

Also a lot of Chinese blockbusterz recently, all worth checkin out.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Benny_ said:
The Road Home.. I liked Zhang Yimou much more before he tried his hand at empty and pretentious martial art films.
I didn't really like The Road Home that much... saw it on World Movies a while back and thought it was a somewhat pointless film- at leas the empty martial arts films look alright- but nothing comes close to the good ol' Wong Fei Hong flicks.

SiReN

HSC
i watch SBS movies occasionally lol and i usually stick around for the asian thriller/horror most of them are good

ps im not asian

supercharged

HSC
N/A
studynoob said:
looked japanese to me!
You obviously have no clue. The Eye was a HK film with some parts done in Thailand.

The Eye 2 was a way better film than the first one. Other good movies I've seen would be 2002, Moving Targets, Hero, Initial D, Korma, One armed boxer(very old skool), Infernal Affairs (only the first one was good) , Princess Blade and Road Home.

I usually prefer the azn films to American ones anyway, much more entertaining :)

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
seremify007 said:
I didn't really like The Road Home that much... saw it on World Movies a while back and thought it was a somewhat pointless film- at leas the empty martial arts films look alright- but nothing comes close to the good ol' Wong Fei Hong flicks.
Not that your post didn't speak for itself, but I think The Road Home is also one of those movies that requires some understanding of Chinese history to fully appreciate. The Hark Tsui Huang Fei Hong movies (Once Upon A Time in China etc.) were good fun though.

fantasia

HSC
Komaticom said:
I have JSA (Joint Security Area). It's a good Korean movie.
yeh thats a good movie... also catch oldboy (from the same director)

i just watched 'A tale of two sisters' a korean horror/mystery. The best horror movie i've seen since ringu. keeps you guessing and thinking all the way.

HSC
fantasia said:
yeh thats a good movie... also catch oldboy (from the same director)

i just watched 'A tale of two sisters' a korean horror/mystery. The best horror movie i've seen since ringu. keeps you guessing and thinking all the way.
ATOTS was reeaallly good, i almost cried at the end when we finally understand what happened.
i donno if it has been mentioned, but has anyone seen Versus(jap)? wooweee that movie.
well to something different, Il Mare(korean) was such a sweet romantic movie, so sad and beautiful , sigh. Pity its being remade.

fantasia

HSC
i've seen versus. it's good but i liked azumi more.

there's so many asian movies being remade recently that it's starting to become frustrating.

il mare with sandra bullock and keanu reeves
the departed (infernal affairs) with matt damon, leonardo dicaprio
oldboy
and the recently released dark water.

i also hate the fact that every asian movie that seems to become released in america always has to have the quentin tarantino seal of approval. he takes so much from asian cinema its not funny, and people go round saying that he's a genius and he's clever. like wtf?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I have every confidence that Scorsese's remake of Infernal Affairs will be superior to the original. Different, but superior. You just can't go wrong with that cast and that director. Il mare though, will be shite.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe I should watch that road home movie again- I did see it quite a while ago (few years maybe?)... bit older now. But then I also found that Hero movie to be not that interesting; yes I understood the cultural aspects of it, but I still felt it wasn't really that good a movie. I still prefer my good ol' Wong Fei Hong movies^^

Btw guys, going back to Singapore/M'sia after HSC.. any recommendations for movies to buy back? I tend to prefer light hearted movies nowadays... I still laugh when watching Jut Sai Hao Bra!

HSC
fantasia said:
i've seen versus. it's good but i liked azumi more.

there's so many asian movies being remade recently that it's starting to become frustrating.

il mare with sandra bullock and keanu reeves
the departed (infernal affairs) with matt damon, leonardo dicaprio
oldboy
and the recently released dark water.

i also hate the fact that every asian movie that seems to become released in america always has to have the quentin tarantino seal of approval. he takes so much from asian cinema its not funny, and people go round saying that he's a genius and he's clever. like wtf?
Azumi rocked, Azumi 2 sucked
Rumours are flying that ATOTS will be remade, as My Wife Is a Gangsta. I swear I'll hurt someone if Battle Royale ever gets remade.
Yeh and that Quentin thing--- its really annoying but its one of the things that will get audiences watching the movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)