R v. King (1 Viewer)

SituationNoir

HSC
Hello!
I have a legal studies assessment and I've chosen a case, that being R v. Knight, which is heavily connected to Byron's law. It was this case that pushed everything over the edge and had the grievous bodily harm charge expanded to include the death of a foetus.
If anyone's done anything on this or Byron law and has any information that would be fantastic!
Thankyou!!

frieda

Premium Member
HSC
Why I'm doing this case too :). An oral and a report right?

OKay first suggestion, Go to the LIAC > for students > crime library, and there is a pdf, within this pdf there is a couple of pages on Byron's law (one on RvKing and the other one with renee shields who's miscarried foetus was Byron). It gives you links to discussions of the law in parliament and also to the court decisions in the NSW Court of Criminal Appeal (there were 2 appeals).

It would also be good to search through some news websites - ABC and SMH, there are a few articles over 2002-2004 which report about the case and give extra 'juicy' information to the case. However, i would rely more on the info in the court decisions - I've found that some of the things reported in the articles are not completely accurate - i.e. one of them said that King pleaded guilty, however he had pleaded guilty to a different charge than the one which was laid by the Prosecution and therefore the case was still a trial.

Lastly, if you are a member of State Library, try searching through their databases (which i'm yet to do :p).

But yes, I'm finding this a very interesting case indeed :) Good Luck to you!!

g0dfather

HSC
N/A
This subject should not have been allowed to exist. Society has misinterpreted the mafia as criminals.

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
OK i am doing Byron's law as well as oral report. Best way to do this is i think to do both cases due to the fact we dont have all info on court case R v Harrigan due to being district court also if u start with that one u can roll onto how this case used as precedent in R v King case. Alot more info within it using both cases. but i could use some help on how to actually write it all down because i have all info just dont know how to present it

sweetcandeeh

HSC
I was thinking of doing these cases. Mine too is an oral presentation, what would be the "criminal justice issue" though? What would you call this issue?
I need to "assess the efficiency and effectiveness of various forms of legal measures in achieving justice through researching a current criminal justice issue"
can i possibly relate this topic to my question?? help!!

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
sweetcandeeh said:
I was thinking of doing these cases. Mine too is an oral presentation, what would be the "criminal justice issue" though? What would you call this issue?
I need to "assess the efficiency and effectiveness of various forms of legal measures in achieving justice through researching a current criminal justice issue"
can i possibly relate this topic to my question?? help!!

ok first i need to know what time frame u r restricted 2. The criminal justice issuse involved in these cases is the fact no legislation was in place to protect the unborn children

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i'm doing this case this year for a report/oral task and the advice on here helped me too! thanks alot all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)