• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

r we becoming more and more stupid?? (2 Viewers)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
MФëỹ™ said:
honestly guys, r we dumber than our parenst and teachers?? ...personally i dont think so, how bout you guys?
No, my theory is that in the old times not all people stayed on through to year 12. Not everyone wanted to go to uni and a lot of people dropped out in year 10 or lower. The people who stuck on were the smarter kids.

Now though, the vast majority of students stick around to do their HSC so a lot of students who in the past would have dropped out, continue with their studies. These kids find the courses too hard and so they all get marks around the same because the tests are too hard. So the syllabus has to be made so that those kids can be differentiated from each other and hence be given an appropriate uai rank.

An easier test differentiates the lower end better.

Last edited:

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
Economics is a boring overrated unrealistic pretentious subject anyway. Be thankful you got to watch 16-18 year old girls dance in leotards in the auditorium for 6 months before they left to have their "meth babies". I'd prefer that.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
IronMaiden said:
Economics is a boring overrated unrealistic pretentious subject anyway.
overrated. In what way? if you mean in importance, then no, Without sound knowledge of the way the economy works we would be like zimbabwe

unrealistic. how in god's name is it unrealistic? The economy principles we learn are evident right now. The policies we learn about are being implemented at this very time.

pretentious. um, what?

u-borat

Banned
HSC
I think the English course at least is quite pretentious and dumbed down.
They also dumbed down physics completely.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
u-borat said:
Yeah, i agree on both points here.
Physics especially. It's almost a social science now. With all those 'assess the impacts on society' and 'evaluate the impacts x has on the environment'

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Physics especially. It's almost a social science now. With all those 'assess the impacts on society' and 'evaluate the impacts x has on the environment'
What percentage of school students are going to become professional scientists? <1%

What percentage of students need to know about the impacts of scientific developments on society & the environment? 100%

That's why it's there. We'll never go back to pure rigorous maths-based mechanics for the entire syllabus. There's not enough people taking physics as it is and it'd only drop a whole lot more if that happened.

Felix Jones

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
lol..true....also there are allot of material they pulled out...i get some of my notes from
http://webs.mn.catholic.edu.au/physics/emery/
and they actually include some of the materials that have been pulled out...and its allot.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
What percentage of school students are going to become professional scientists? <1%

What percentage of students need to know about the impacts of scientific developments on society & the environment? 100%

That's why it's there. We'll never go back to pure rigorous maths-based mechanics for the entire syllabus. There's not enough people taking physics as it is and it'd only drop a whole lot more if that happened.
I don't want to become a professional scientist but I would still like to learn about real pure physics purely because it's interesting. I think all this 'impacts of scientific developments on society & the environment' should be part of senior science or something of the sort.

lsam said:
To simply put, yes.
do you mean:

'to put it simply - yes'
'simply put, yes'
or
'to simply put it,yes'?

Please, just stop.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Tbh I'm not suprised. BOS tries to make it so that everyone has a chance of passing.

And tbh I like the idea. Go equality.
What's equality?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Tbh I'm not suprised. BOS tries to make it so that everyone has a chance of passing.

And tbh I like the idea. Go equality.
You Communist!

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
overrated. In what way? if you mean in importance, then no, Without sound knowledge of the way the economy works we would be like zimbabwe

unrealistic. how in god's name is it unrealistic? The economy principles we learn are evident right now. The policies we learn about are being implemented at this very time.

pretentious. um, what?
Overrated and pretentious in that people assume (and people take the subject hoping to have this presumption made about them) that Economics is a subject of some importance or requires intelligence or it holds some prestige. It is actually unrealistic as most examples are confined to a textbook scenario, statistics are constanly changing and could never possibly be correct or even slightly accurate (World GDP) due to the methods in obtaining such statistics, human error, lies etc and the overrall "policies implemented at this very time" issue is very wishy washy, in fact, the whole subject is wishy washy and as aforementioned, extremely circumstancial and text book scenario restrictive.

Leave it to the big boys buddy, noone thinks big of you for completing high school economics. Go to university and see how "smart" you are.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
u-borat said:
It shouldn't be called HSC Physics anymore.
It should be called HSC Physics in Society or HSC Contextual Physics.

They even removed Hooke's Law earlier, another good Physics topic.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
IronMaiden said:
Overrated and pretentious in that people assume (and people take the subject hoping to have this presumption made about them) that Economics is a subject of some importance or requires intelligence or it holds some prestige.
Well isn't it important? If more of us knew more about the way the economy worked, even in the most simple form, governments could actually implement policies that would be good for the economy and people could see it for it's actual merits or flaws.

And yes, it requires intelligence. Just as any other subject does. Economics is considered one of the 'harder' subjects and a lot of people struggle with it. So yes, it would require intelligence.

It is actually unrealistic as most examples are confined to a textbook scenario, statistics are constantly changing and could never possibly be correct or even slightly accurate (World GDP) due to the methods in obtaining such statistics, human error, lies etc and the overrall "policies implemented at this very time" issue is very wishy washy, in fact, the whole subject is wishy washy and as aforementioned, extremely circumstancial and text book scenario restrictive.
Statistics normally change because variables change. But I get what you are saying, although I disagree. There will always be errors when collecting data, not just for economics. But that does not mean it is unrealistic. Just not 100% accurate. Compare it to a pure science. Say, Physics. Look at how theories are proposed and how they are accepted after time. Then flaws are seen in the current model and it is refined. How is economics any different? New data collection techniques are formed, new schools of thoughts are developed.

Leave it to the big boys buddy, noone thinks big of you for completing high school economics. Go to university and see how "smart" you are.
haha. And you think people take economics because they think people will think big of them?

I will go to university and I guess that will show how 'smart' I am. What were you trying to achieve with that last line?

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
And you think people take economics because they think people will think big of them?
Yes, yes I do. Example: piece of shit wall of text above. Too long, did not read. Give up, you fail.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
IronMaiden said:
Yes, yes I do. Example: piece of shit wall of text above. Too long, did not read. Give up, you fail.
Haha! So you didn't bother to read yet you quoted something in the middle of what I wrote.

Learn to develop an argument instead of pretending you can't be bothered to when you read something you can't break down.

Lol you fail, how far do you expect to get when you just shit your arguments out of your mouth without any indepth thought.

Take a moment to think....

....yeah, see how shit you are...

EDIT: How old are you? If you're in year 10 or under then I take back what I said, you've still got a long way to go. If not, good luck with the HSC.

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
Haha! So you didn't bother to read yet you quoted something in the middle of what I wrote.

Learn to develop an argument instead of pretending you can't be bothered to when you read something you can't break down.

Lol you fail, how far do you expect to get when you just shit your arguments out of your mouth without any indepth thought.

Take a moment to think....

....yeah, see how shit you are...

EDIT: How old are you? If you're in year 10 or under then I take back what I said, you've still got a long way to go. If not, good luck with the HSC.
You missed the point completely in the first place you turd, so I decided to let it slip. In that, dare I say it, typical pretentious wannabe smart guy display in your previous post one would have to presume I was saying "economics is..pointless, boring.. and of no worth to society" ad nauseam. However, without the god complex, one would realise I was in fact stating, HIGH SCHOOL economics is boring and pointless, hence the "go to university" statement.

Instead of responding to the total douchebag display I decided to fail you, but in future if you expect me or anyone to read anything you say include cliffs in your posts, at the moment they are too long winded, exaggerated and you really do fail at life. You're in high school kid, you aren't going to save anyone with your "super economics skills", don't take it so seriously.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
MФëỹ™ said:
honestly they keep pulling materials from the syllabus out, e.g. conics in maths, some stuff from physics etc. . and i also heard that they are planning to include the formulas in the mass hsc exam three years from now??? wtf???

give me your thoughts...personally i think we are becoming dumber by the day... even my maths teacher ( who has been teaching for over 25 years) says that the workload is decreasing and the materials have become easier.
yeah. i know. my maths teacher said that in a few years, the HSc syllabus is gonna change, so that some stuff in extension 1 maths will be covered in extension 2 maths, and stuff from 2 unit mathematics will go into 3 unit. basically, they are making the syllabus easier. and its sad to think that it will occur just afrer my year does the HSC :mad1:

i think they are doing this because they are realising that some material is not exactly neccessary to our life. but i do agree people are getting dumber.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)