R18+ movie as related text? (1 Viewer)

sing4absolution

HSC
I'm doing crime fiction for my core topic, and as it is a genre i dont generally like, i havent got much knowledge for possible related texts.
The movie se7en seems to fit. it follows a man killing according to the seven sins and i can use it to represent the depravity of society etc easily.
problem is the movie is R18+. will that caus a problem even if i keep it strictly to its conventions, themes and symbolism?

boris

Banned
HSC
I don't see why not.

The teacher doesn't have to watch it, your other classmates don't have to. There are plenty of books I read for the HSC EXT1 course that could easily have been graded at 18+ if they were movies.

amybaker1990

HSC
yeah its fine to do
you just have tp do it it tactfully. and also u just arent supposed to watch it in the same room as your teacher for some reason
but its a good idea to get ur teacher to watch it as it helps you

7oas7y

HSC
Put it this way, by the time you end up doing your HSC, most people will be 18. Also, I know people who have used the movie se7en as an additional piece of material and nothing was said against it. So yes, you may.

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Don't do Se7en. It get's done to death almost to the point that it's Cliche and it instigates eye-rolling at the marking centre. This was advice from an HSC marker, and i have every reason to believe them. So really, avoid it. But hey, they're your texts, not mine.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
I'm glad to know that you can use R18+ movies as a related text, that is awesome. I would also go with Se7en, mainly because it is broad. Although, when you have to quote things, are you allowed to swear?

dp624

HSC
i dont think you should do it, just to stay safe incase you get a retarded marker

dp624

HSC
babikakez said:
AFAIK, yes.
Yes you are, but don't, the markers will instantly dislike it. Please be safe and dont compromise your marks

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Markers won't mark you down if it is a valid quote, and one of high importance to your argument. Example: The use of the quote "AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME" to emphasise the descrimination and public vilification of the protagonists in Priscilla Queen Of The Desert.

However, if the swear word if merely just part of sentence structure, without altering the meaning or intensity, then your more than welcome to leave it out.

sirfeathers

HSC
I think it's alright to use R18+ texts so long as you don't use R18+quotes or discuss anything that could be viewed as offensive or distressing.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Do you have a English HSC marker at your school? Ask them to get the most reliable answers, people on BoS can only make educated assumptions :)

jacko_corry

HSC
I'm pretty sure you are allowed to use it if it is a valid point in your arguement. For example we did Blade Runner in our half yearly and there were no cpmlaints about the use of "i want more life fucker" which is a vital part of the movie

dp624

HSC
I'm pretty sure you are allowed to use it if it is a valid point in your arguement. For example we did Blade Runner in our half yearly and there were no cpmlaints about the use of "i want more life fucker" which is a vital part of the movie
yeah, but i'd avoid that
just in case
you get a conservative marker
etc

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Yeah I'd cut out the fucker part and just say "I want more life". There's nothing stopping you doing R18+ texts, Fight Club is actually encouraged as a good supplementary text by my English teacher, who is a marker AFAIK, just that it needs to be done tastefully and not purposely have offensive laguage everywhere for the sake of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)