Radians and degrees (2 Viewers)

aleks9797

HSC
Are we allowed to convert a radian question to degrees so we can understand it better but then convert it back to radians when needed. E.g. converting it back for the final answer or when doing a formula working with radians.

aleks9797

HSC
The three circle equations. Degrees would just be used to help when doing stuff like "supplementary angles" and those stuff. But the first formulas for sector, arc length and section would all be done in radians. No forumulas using degrees, just rough working out. 190 degrees - 70 degrees etc

Jashua_Long

Banned
HSC
N/A
Are we allowed to convert a radian question to degrees so we can understand it better but then convert it back to radians when needed. E.g. converting it back for the final answer or when doing a formula working with radians.
Can do whatever you want as long as you give your FINAL answer in the format they want.

If they give the range as 0<=x<=360 , you give your answer in degrees

If they give the range as 0<=x<=2pi , you give your answer in radians.

I always like to work in degrees when doing trig equations. Then, if they gave the question with the range in terms of pi, I just convert the degree answers into radians.

Last edited:

bladeys

HSC
N/A
yea just do it on a scrap piece of paper and do it properly on your exam paper i guess

Eduard_Khil

CASIO fx-82ES PLUS
HSC
N/A
yeah it's perfectly fine, as long as you put it back as required,but basically, if you're doing the sector questions, you want to almost always be doing it in radians, unless they specify it for some reason, of course. Also keep in mind whether or not they want it in exact form or what not LOL

rsagar

HSC
Uni Grad
+ if it helps...

Have your degree values and then convert them to radian values underneath the degree value
FOR E.g.

45 - 90 - 135 - 180...
pi/4 - pi/2 - 3pi/2 - pi...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)