Random Car Chat (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
Just picking up from discussion that started in other thread.

011 said:
I'm probably in the minority but i cannot stand the WRX (or impreza in general) interior. The radio looks like it's been lifted from the very early 90s (and mind you that's pretty much the only piece of interior kit), and the plastic moulding especially around the glovebox is totally 80s.

The gauges are completely uninspired, the bucket seats really dont 'bucket' (in the new one they don't, anyway). You try to ignore it with the rocket-like performance but it just comes back into your head continually. Pretty much turned me off it, because it's like driving a 2006 car in 1995.
No I do agree to an extent - the WRX dash shits all over the TE50. Ever seen an AUIII Falcon dash? Probably one of the most incoherent, ugliest dashes around. It worked, at least. In the pic below, it's hard to see it but you get the idea. Can anyone say, "taxi"? I guess it was OK, but still a contrast to the BA dash.

But that's what happens when you build a pretty awesome car for $40k (WRX) - there has to be compromises. The seats are great for a production car of its price, IMHO. They hold you well, considering that they've been made also to suit people far taller (and wider) than me. The seats in other WRXs I've driven (older ones) were just as good. Otherwise I quite like the WRX, when compared fairly to other cars in its category, such as the XR6T.

addymac said:
Couldn't convince him on an STi then?

Whats your top speed in it? Personally my top speed thus far is 240km/h v-max in a stock lancer no traction, steering, etc definantly not a speed the car was designed for. Max speeds mentioned and all I don't think they define hyow hard someone drives, IMHO if for instance you manage to boil brake fluid that would indicate a very demanding, very hard driver....

Back on the Subie though what are peoples opinions as far as the new one versus the superseeded? For my money my fav front end is like slip's dad's (MYO3/MY04 ???), not a huge fan of the aeroplane 'thing'.
lol, nah after we sold the TE50 for just $45k in new condition with about 15 000 kays (12 months after buying it new for $63k!!), my dad has been disillusioned by the $55k-$70k performance car category and he doesn't see the point in spending that much money on a car. Maybe one day, if he manages to do well on the lucrative property investment bandwagon.

I've had it at 160 - through corners - which I was surprised my dad let me wind it out to. Being a performance car, it's set up for speed, so it wasn't like the car was jumping about or anything - just sat comfortably, firm and predictable. I agree with you that extreme speed is not a factor in the life of a genuinely good road driver - when I hear peers bragging about how they took their EA Falcon, Lancers or whatever to 200 down a main (and public) road, I ask them where they're hiding their cape. I don't consider an individual to be a good driver because they can hang onto a steering wheel at insane speeds - save it for the track. A good driver on public roads knows about car control, defensive manoeuvres, and how to brake properly. Otherwise, the fastest I've ever sat behind a steering wheel is somewhere around 250km/h - Wakefield Park, driving a racing car. I was farken scary, that's for sure - especially in something that's only a couple of centimetres off the ground. Otherwise, I never get the urge to take my 3-cylinder Charade to 200 or whatever - you're just asking to die.

With the new WRX, I thought I'd like it, but it looks weird rather than good (or bad). I'll need to give it room to grow on me, as with the current 'preza, which I like the look of the front. Don't mind ol' bug eyes, either. ;)

PS: This thread can just be discussion about anything, cos we tend to drift off topic in most other threads so you can drift your heart out in this thread. Just please don't start arguing!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yeah the wrx might grow on me, right now its just weird.

That was a pretty disasterous depreciation on the TE50, I suppose that was largely bought on by the appearance of the BA and the disappearance of tickford.....

SlipStream

HSC
addymac said:
Yeah the wrx might grow on me, right now its just weird.

That was a pretty disasterous depreciation on the TE50, I suppose that was largely bought on by the appearance of the BA and the disappearance of tickford.....
You hit the nail right on the proverbial head, mate. Also, the fact that everyone's heard of a Clubsport and no-one knows what a "TE50" is also had something to do with losing $20k-odd in a year from depreciation. ;)

Hey addymac, do you have msn? Feel free to add me if you want: bespoke_magazine@hotmail.com. I'm pretty easy to get along with; DaddyK used to "hate me with a passion" but now we're good mates.

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:
A dash is a dash, who cares. I think that TE50 interior is hot. We have an AU and its dash isn't bad.
Yeh we had a galaxy-blue manual AU XR8 (at one stage an AU XR8 and the TE50 at the same time) and I reckon the dash was nicer. But overall I reckon the TE50's interior is nicer, with T-Series floor mats, emblems and leather seats (that were shit)... overall it just felt more special. And dad got Premium Sound, so the experience was even better. But by God, the quality of the interior in the XR8 was so shoddy; a lot of the car had trim falling off, stitching coming undone, etc. It went through 2 diffs (!!) in the time we had it. Although it did do a lot of driving; by the time we sold it, it had 140 000 kays on the odo. All from driving from Gosford to Sydney and back everyday...

transcendent

HSC
N/A
ya know, i drive way too fast sometimes. it's worse when i see a ricer, i tend to try and compete with them. kinda realised after speeding with one on Sunday that... i don't like those guys. actually i HATE those kinda guys but POT KETTLE BLACK. thing is, i hate holding up traffic, so i justify my speeding with that reason. i get the shits with slow drivers, i'm impatient, and fuck are there alot of shit house drivers in my suburb. but yeah, fuel prices have dropped a bit but since i've been paying for it it's hit me hard in my wallet. i enjoy the adrenaline as much as any other of you guys, but i might give up the racing dream. good bye modified 240Z, hello BMW 3 series... or just my reliable Camry :p

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Don't sell the camry short they can be pushed pretty hard.....

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
front wheel handbrake burnouts.
whats why i love my little 4 banger.

drive in reverse, drop the clutch in first, handbrake for a bit. hahha i thrash the balls off my little car.

SlipStream

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I am mearly pointing out that high speeds can be reached in pos cars, so really, who cares?
So, you're trying to say that a WRX is shit because it can only pull 40km/h faster v-max than a VN Bommodore? Please make clear what you're trying to say if I'm wrong.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
So, you're trying to say that a WRX is shit because it can only pull 40km/h faster v-max than a VN Bommodore? Please make clear what you're trying to say if I'm wrong.
what'd v-max? max velocity?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes, I am trying to say that your cock is not any bigger, and your car isn't any cooler by going at high top speeds.

So what does exactly make the WRX so great? It has a shit interior, it can apparently only go 40km/h faster than a $3000 car (which is stupid anyway), and there's no rally's around so i dunno what makes the car so cool.

Oh I know... It's the stigma the marketers attached to the car.

SlipStream

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yes, I am trying to say that your cock is not any bigger, and your car isn't any cooler by going at high top speeds.

So what does exactly make the WRX so great? It has a shit interior, it can apparently only go 40km/h faster than a $3000 car (which is stupid anyway), and there's no rally's around so i dunno what makes the car so cool.

Oh I know... It's the stigma the marketers attached to the car.
Shows why perhaps you should preach your opinions on cars elsewhere, because your point of view is pretty narrowminded and naive. While I'm not labelling you as mainstream in your thinking - one who judges the performance of a car on the basis of the largest number on its speedo - it is however pretty careless to argue why a WRX is better than a $3k car using top speed as the only basis of your conclusion.

Not-That-Bright said:
and there's no rally's around so i dunno what makes the car so cool.
So - don't mind if I borrow your philosophy - Ferraris are only cool come March, when the F1 circus is in Melbourne? May this statement be the basis for me to resist further arguing with you. Oh my...

EDIT, braad: yeh, v-max is the new jargon for top speed. Some boffin just shortened Velocity-Max. You were close, but no cigar. :p

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Shows why perhaps you should preach your opinions on cars elsewhere, because your point of view is pretty narrowminded and naive. While I'm not labelling you as mainstream in your thinking - one who judges the performance of a car on the basis of the largest number on its speedo - it is however pretty careless to argue why a WRX is better than a $3k car using top speed as the only basis of your conclusion.
Ok then, tell me what makes it so good? My suggestion was that it's the stigma attached to the car, you care to give me any offers?

So - don't mind if I borrow your philosophy - Ferraris are only cool come March, when the F1 circus is in Melbourne? May this statement be the basis for me to resist further arguing with you. Oh my...
Again, I gave my reason... I think it's just the stigma attached. Really there's nothing amazing about a ferrari ever, other than that it looks cool and has a prestige to it.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Ntb you really should have read slip's first post, may I draw your attention to a small bit:

Slipstream said:
I've had it at 160 - through corners - which I was surprised my dad let me wind it out to. Being a performance car, it's set up for speed, so it wasn't like the car was jumping about or anything - just sat comfortably, firm and predictable. I agree with you that extreme speed is not a factor in the life of a genuinely good road driver - when I hear peers bragging about how they took their EA Falcon, Lancers or whatever to 200 down a main (and public) road, I ask them where they're hiding their cape. I don't consider an individual to be a good driver because they can hang onto a steering wheel at insane speeds - save it for the track. A good driver on public roads knows about car control, defensive manoeuvres, and how to brake properly. Otherwise, the fastest I've ever sat behind a steering wheel is somewhere around 250km/h - Wakefield Park, driving a racing car. I was farken scary, that's for sure - especially in something that's only a couple of centimetres off the ground. Otherwise, I never get the urge to take my 3-cylinder Charade to 200 or whatever - you're just asking to die.
Clearly slip does not believe v-max to be the be all and end all (Note to braad, yes v-max is maximum velocity or top speed). In fact as alluded to in countless other places he is more of the belief that a good car is defined in the corners not down the straight, eg by handling not v-max.

Oh and finally nobody should buy a VN for $3K when they can get a Volvo for $500 that is only 30km/h slower v-max.....

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes, I am just asking what makes it so great, i'm not saying maximum speed makes it great but you guys seemed to be talking about maximum speed.

You're still not telling me what makes these cars so awesome, just telling me that you don't care about the maximum speed. So what about cornering? What's so great about going around a corner?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well... you haven't driven a ferrari either, and you're trying to tell me it is something amazing? I'm sure the engineering is rather impressive, and it does look quite nice, but really in the end it's just a car.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I've been in a ferrari. What makes them amazing is the build quality and the level of engineering involved.

Insofar as what is great about going around a corner. A corner is the ultimate measure of a car, it tests the handling in ways nothing else does. It is the most complex thing a car does and second only to the engine itself I would say that the steering/suspension system of a car is the most complex part.

In short it is easy to make a car go fast in a straight line, however very difficult to make it corner fast. This is as much true of the engineering required to handle well as the skill of a driver to corner well. V-max is about holding on to the wheel and keeping your right foot planted cornering requires you to be thinking a million different things and co-ordinating far more actions.

Cornering well is tougher on both the car and its driver than anything else, therefore those that do it well are respected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)