Random Car Chat (1 Viewer)

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
hahahahah *Laughs heartily at not-that-bright*.....lol, sort of ironic isn't it? Nothing amazing about a farrari? Ok, well when you go and drive a farrari then please please please come and see me and tell me the same thing.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea for sure, but i'm pretty sure it has alot more to do with the image than anything else. Same with a WRX, a FPV, a HSV, or whatever. Can't people customise cars that look/handle/are more powerful than these branded cars?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I've never been in a very expensive car, but I have been on a private multi-million dollar boat, and it wasn't really that amazing or anything, it was just a big boat that had a fancy interior as far as I could tell.

Yea, corners probably are the most difficult part of driving a car, I would contend the "thinking a hundred things at once", but it's still difficult. But a car having greater cornering ability doesn't impress me because it is useless.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
No, but i'm sure if you spent 500,000 bucks on a fararri, you'd expect it to perform a little better than your average car. Its the over-all experience, the handling, the power, the interior , the image. Take the best car you've ever driven and times the performance by 100, then you might start to understand the hyp about them.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Of course there is an image attatched to certain brands, but what does the image attatch to? Invariably there is a basis of some sort be it the insane engineering levels, rally/race success, build quality etc.

As far as thinking about a hundred things try:
Line
Revs
Speed
Gear
Brakes
Pitch
Yaw
Traffic/pedestrians
Next corner
Traction
Planning
Loss of traction
Loose material on the road
Camber of the corner
Suspension of the car
Angle of the corner
What your feet are doing
What your hands are doing
Staying in the seat
Passengers
Weight distribution
Tyre pressure

More than twenty without even trying and many of those can be broken down further

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Invariably there is a basis of some sort be it the insane engineering levels, rally/race success, build quality etc.
Probably slightly, but alot of it's probably just like different brand shirts.

Line
Revs
Speed
Gear
Brakes
Pitch
Yaw
Traffic/pedestrians
Next corner
Traction
Planning
Loss of traction
Loose material on the road
Camber of the corner
Suspension of the car
Angle of the corner
What your feet are doing
What your hands are doing
Staying in the seat
Passengers
Weight distribution
Tyre pressure
People are not thinking about all those things and I'd like you to make the broken down list so we can see just how anal someone can get about proving a point too.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Someone who is cornering well is thinking them and more. Anyone driving should be thinking about at least half of those.

I'm too lazy to make a full list but I think I have proven that there are quite alot of things to think about. Oh and as a quick note a rally driver is thinking an insane ammount more eg the navigator is calling the corners three ahead from where they're at. So the driver is planning corner 3, remembering what to do for corner 2 all whilst actually doing corner 1. Add to this that they are thinking of the corners as a continuous piece of driving and you can start to see the thinking involved in drawing an optimum line through three sequential corners as a whole....

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
EDIT, braad: yeh, v-max is the new jargon for top speed. Some boffin just shortened Velocity-Max. You were close, but no cigar. :p
hahaha...you read way too many english car magazines

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
lol, I haven't read Autocar for years. :p
lol...well in australia we dont tend to care about v-max (or top speed as real ppl call it :p)

the europeans do (sorta like their emission fetish...hahaha)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I'd argue that they care about v-max more stateside (eg USA) and less continentally (eg Europe). Europeans in general placing more emphasis on less tangible things like handling as opposed to the yank preponderance to numbers - bigger the better.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
addymac said:
I'd argue that they care about v-max more stateside (eg USA) and less continentally (eg Europe). Europeans in general placing more emphasis on less tangible things like handling as opposed to the yank preponderance to numbers - bigger the better.
yehh...just whenevr i read a british car mag, they always make a big deal out of its top speed (sorry, 'v-max')

transcendent

HSC
N/A
got me into a tuner scene, The Fast And The Furious, and interested in cars. it also got shitty little gangstars in my area into Civics and ricers. so as light entertain it's alright but everything else it's done is shit.

SlipStream

HSC
shortygb said:
whoa, ive seen some bad crashes before, but that has to be the worst ive seen...was he ok in the end?
Yeh apparently the guy in the car that got t-boned only walked away with some minor scratches and bruising - a testament to the safety of motorsport!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)