Random facts about your stories. (1 Viewer)

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Esqarial said:
Some of the other projects appear to be very well conceived. I should really get onto drafting.

[/SIZE]

Bahahahaha No NO NO NO...
Mine's well...definately not well conceived.
It has Birth Defects!

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
We all live in a in yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, that smells like my spleen.

2) That cat is pregnant, but why and when and how? OMG CAN WE TAKE THE FETUS OUT AND EAT IT

Oh god, that cracked me up for a solid minute. You sir, have earned an A.

Anyways, this thread angers me with its lack of submarines, so shortly, meaning sometime, I will create a thread called 'The Extension 2 English Submarine: HMAS Wonder and Enchantment'. It will be the greatest Extension English 2 Submarine thread ever made.

What the hell are you on about pansy, I hear you say. Well, you'll find out soon enough.

And to answer the above question. No, none of the characters who die in my story reflect an experience in my life

Trillium

HSC
"If your story involves death, does their death involve any of your own experiences with death?"
No. I have never been attacked by winged beings brandishing flaming swords while waiting for the bus driver to rid himslef oforange juice.

Unfortunately.

~Trill

Emph

HSC
"If your story involves death, does their death involve any of your own experiences with death?"

Bah no not really. I am not completely a suicidal manic-depressive.

HSC
T.S Eliot is great. 'And this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but with a whimper' - best ending to a poem.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Re: We all live in a in yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, that smells like my spl

ScottyG said:
2) That cat is pregnant, but why and when and how? OMG CAN WE TAKE THE FETUS OUT AND EAT IT

Oh god, that cracked me up for a solid minute. You sir, have earned an A.

Anyways, this thread angers me with its lack of submarines, so shortly, meaning sometime, I will create a thread called 'The Extension 2 English Submarine: HMAS Wonder and Enchantment'. It will be the greatest Extension English 2 Submarine thread ever made.

What the hell are you on about pansy, I hear you say. Well, you'll find out soon enough.

And to answer the above question. No, none of the characters who die in my story reflect an experience in my life

YOU ARE THE SUBMARINE
ALL YOUR SUBMARINE ARE BELONG TO US
ALL YOUR SUBMARINE ARE BELONG TO ME
ALL YOUR SUBMARINE ARE BELONG TO YOU
..uh yeah anyway...
you make me angry...
not really...
you werent at James Ruse today were you? for EE2 workshop?

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
The Card Cheat said:
T.S Eliot is great. 'And this is the way the world ends, not with a bang but with a whimper' - best ending to a poem.
I love you Card Cheat, you know who he is..AND YOU CAN QUOTE HIM

Cookies for you.

iain_12345

HSC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What's the title of your story? never liked your poetry
2. What's the name of one of the main characters? Adam Smith - adam&eve + very common surname = celebrated capitalist

3.Is/are they guys/girls? both and prostitutes (which are 'its')

4. What is one setting/location? a shithole called Downtown because i dont have a name yet - but thinking about calling it Nadir.

5. If you could pick a genre in which your story would be most suited, which genre would you pick? fkn weird luv story

6. Whats the time period? now and 1940s

7. Did you use any of these five completely random words in your story (random dictionary poke): stoic, vivacious, audacious, brazen, lacklustre.
only wankers use words like that.

NEXT LOT

1) Is your story written in first person, second person, or third person? To whoever has used second person, I shall give them my appreciation ($US 10000.00 value). Third person and first person - a nice mix of the two

2) What is the general tone of your story? humourous, serious, sarcastic etc.
Very dark, cynical and serious.

3) Over how many years does your story span?
not many

4) How many characters die?
all characters that my main character fks and him.

5) What was the previous name for your story?
none always had the same apparently 'cryptic' title

6) How many main characters have you utilised?
like 6 but only really two main characters.

7) How many sub characters have you utilised?
4 or 5

8) What is the first plant/animal you mention in the story?
kim beazley... nah um probably a dog.. not much of a difference but.

9) Does your story take place in both night and day?
Pfft no what idiot would do that - night time is the only intersting part of the day.

10) Have you used any of the five following words in your story: subtle, invisible, gigantic, stubble, morbid.

no wanker words in my story

NEXT LOT

1) Why does my printer smell like effluent?
becoz ur printer is shit get a real one.

2) That cat is pregnant, but why and when and how?
u know why - a cat isnt a woman - may feel like one to the lil fella... but u shud know better.

3) Dairy cows are planning to kill us all. Discuss this statement drawing on your knowledge of TWO of your prescribed texts, and ONE of your own choosing. You should allow 45 minutes for this section.
il just get sammy kekovich to come over for a bbq.

NEXT LOT

What triggered the inspiration for the storyline of your short story?
predictable fkn lov stories which r full of commercial-orientated crap and my view that sex is love... most ppl r just to soft to realise it yet.

Would you ever consider doing a short film or screenplay of your short story?
nope

Does anyone like T.S. Elliot? beautiful writing... not much a fan of him though

Last edited:

renton

HSC
bit off the topic, but what does everyone think of the major works from 04 and 05. Personally i've read a few and most of them are rubbish. It seems to me that everyone is trying a little to hard to impress the markers with these 'majestically composed literary flourishes' all throughout there major work. I hope you can identify with what i'm talking about. I've seen very few people take a more simple approach, its all a bit melodramatic for me.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
It's because the 'literary flourish' approach works hell of good with the markers. I can definitely identify with what you're describing; sometimes it works well and sometimes it's painful to read.

renton

HSC
sweet i understand that markers will be looking for an ability to compose, but I just get the vibe from a lot of the works that the characters are in some over-the-top, deep existential abyss from which their is no redemption. Does everyones work dip into these grossly artificial slumps? Ultimately i reckon the difference between a good work and a shit one is credibility, empathy and integrity, so in my work i'll definately be avoiding these moments

HSC
renton said:
bit off the topic, but what does everyone think of the major works from 04 and 05. Personally i've read a few and most of them are rubbish. It seems to me that everyone is trying a little to hard to impress the markers with these 'majestically composed literary flourishes' all throughout there major work. I hope you can identify with what i'm talking about. I've seen very few people take a more simple approach, its all a bit melodramatic for me.
I completely agree. When researching short stories I did not read a single one written that way. Many people that attempt to do that just come across as fools, there are a few that get through because their story was actually well structured, written etc, but a good short story is simple, and thats how i'm keeping mine.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
renton said:
bit off the topic
You can always start a new thread you know. :p

renton said:
but what does everyone think of the major works from 04 and 05. Personally i've read a few and most of them are rubbish. It seems to me that everyone is trying a little to hard to impress the markers with these 'majestically composed literary flourishes' all throughout there major work. I hope you can identify with what i'm talking about. I've seen very few people take a more simple approach, its all a bit melodramatic for me.
<RANT>
I think this is probably because for the most part, this is the first "proper" writting people have done. Yet we have spent years at school studying the best poet's and writers, and the deep analysis makes people believe that they need to include those sort of things in their work to make it good. They then try and put these things in, but because they don't truly understand them, or what they are trying to achieve, they just try to make their writing be superficially good.

Were in fact a much more simpistic looking approach where the writer fully understands what they are doing, can be much more elegant and effective.

I just made all that up on the spot, I'm not saying everybody or anybody has actually done this. You must keep in mind that mostly everyone doing this will have had little or no real writing experience. And that (most probably) includes you. I'm sure the MWs you've read were brilliant in the minds of those that wrote them, as I'm sure yours will be to you. But maybe not to the '07er that reads it next year and doesn't understand what you're doing.
</RANT>

-Possibly a little excessive, sorry

--Jef

bigwillz

Bigwillz
HSC
N/A
I think the fact my Major work wasn't in showcase but is now being considered for publishing by Penguin shows that at the end of the day you are being marked via a criteria. If tis criteria is not filled, you will not get marks. My story was a good 'ol narritive, nothing *too* tricky or fancy, it had no social commantary and no political voicing, my story was about people, culture and how humans interact. (it was a historical novella, looking at pre meiji japan).

renton

HSC
yo,

hows everyones work goin in terms of swearing. I'm dropping f's everywhere but trying my best to keep it all tasteful. personally a vulgarity here and there is definately a good thing, was wondering if ppl think the same?

bigwillz

Bigwillz
HSC
N/A
I don't think swearing is a good idea. You never know what kind of marker you get, i wouldn't gamble. Remember it is an english assesment, no matter how creative you want to be, it's a critique of your english ability, swearing basically says, "im lazy and vulgar, DEDUCT MARKS FORM ME!" You see swearing in heaps of books, but they arn't being marked by teachers.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
It depends on the way you do it. like if it's just part of the third person narration I think it'd be a no no, like "Graham sat reading a book under a fucking big tree". But then again it depends on the voice of the narrator, like The Catcher in the Rye if that book was set today, there would be heaps of swearing. But I can't see anything wrong with it if swearing comes from a character, and it makes sense for that character to say it, because people do swear, and some people swear a lot.

Also I think that mostly the markers won't be too offended by it, as they are teachers they would be more exposed to swearing than many other people. But definatly don't go over the top, as with anything you should only do it if there is a purpose.

bigwillz

Bigwillz
HSC
N/A
as long as you dont swear for the *tee hee* value and that the profanity is absolutly vital to the development and flow of the story and the possibility it would be a lesser work if you didn't swear, yeah maybe.

J

jhakka

bigwillz said:
I think the fact my Major work wasn't in showcase but is now being considered for publishing by Penguin shows that at the end of the day you are being marked via a criteria. If tis criteria is not filled, you will not get marks. My story was a good 'ol narritive, nothing *too* tricky or fancy, it had no social commantary and no political voicing, my story was about people, culture and how humans interact. (it was a historical novella, looking at pre meiji japan).
There are also limited numbers for the Showcase. Maybe the ones that got in there were better than yours, even though yours is still worth publishing.

bigwillz said:
I don't think swearing is a good idea. You never know what kind of marker you get, i wouldn't gamble. Remember it is an english assesment, no matter how creative you want to be, it's a critique of your english ability, swearing basically says, "im lazy and vulgar, DEDUCT MARKS FORM ME!" You see swearing in heaps of books, but they arn't being marked by teachers.
I disagree. It depends on the context of the story and the characters. Seen Shawshank Redemption? In a hardcore prison film, (more than) a few fucks and shits are absolutely necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)