Random facts about your stories. (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
jhakka said:
I disagree. It depends on the context of the story and the characters. Seen Shawshank Redemption? In a hardcore prison film, (more than) a few fucks and shits are absolutely necessary.
Agreed.

You should let your writing be guided by what you are trying to write. Its not that different from say Steinbecks decision to use very colloquial contractions to depict his characters' dialogue - frowned upon at first for being 'improper' but now that work is a piece of literary gold. The same applies to swearing, if its paired with the right environment/context then its use is important and shows you have considered how to create a more natural and authentic dialogue. For a nice exercise read Tarantino's script for Pulp Fiction then remove every swear word and try to read it out loud - it changes the nature of the dialogue dramatically.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
orange_blob said:
It depends on the way you do it. like if it's just part of the third person narration I think it'd be a no no, like "Graham sat reading a book under a fucking big tree".
That made me laugh for quite a while :p It'd be interesting, though. What about if you put it in a post-modern story as a sort of irony thing; showing how the writer's biases and personality will always show up in a story? You know:

'Graham sat reading a book under a fucking big tree.

What? This is how I write. If you're offended you can take your borgeousie sympathies and Western cultural biases and fuck off somewhere else. I'm writing this story, Goddammit, and don't you forget it.

Psh. Responders these days.'

It'd probably work, seeing as how the Board gives 24/7 oral sex to anyone who panders to postmodernist thought.

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
Come to think of it, an entire story written like that would sound kinda cool.

It's strange though, how there are these words that aren't acceptable to use like that, and there isn't really a proper reason for it either. "Fucking" just adds so much more meaning to a statment, it multiplies the superlitiveness (?) by ten. If you say 'It was the biggest tree you'd ever seen', you think, 'yeah, sounds like a big tree', but by simply adding one word 'It was the biggest fucking tree you'd ever seen' makes you think 'wow, that's really a huge tree'.

Such magical words, that can convey such magnificent meanings, it's a shame they aren't socially accepted like that. But I s'pose if they were then they wouldn't have such an immense effect.

This world makes little sense.

Ellie_Belly

HSC
1) Is your story written in first person, second person, or third person? To whoever has used second person, I shall give them my appreciation ($US 10000.00 value).

First person.

2) What is the general tone of your story? humourous, serious, sarcastic etc.

Serious.

3) Over how many years does your story span?

A few months.

4) How many characters die?

Over ten.

5) What was the previous name for your story?

"The Gypsy Stage" (now Zigeuner)

6) How many main characters have you utilised?

Three.

7) How many sub characters have you utilised?

Over 10.

8) What is the first plant/animal you mention in the story?

Maple Tree.

9) Does your story take place in both night and day?

Yes.

10) Have you used any of the five following words in your story: subtle, invisible, gigantic, stubble, morbid.

Not yet!

HSC
) Is your story written in first person, second person, or third person?
First

2) What is the general tone of your story?
sombre, drama. lol.

4 years

4) How many characters die? lots of minor characters, one main.

'Untitled'

6) How many main characters have you utilised? 2

7) How many sub characters have you utilised? 4

8) What is the first plant/animal you mention in the story? sparrows

9) Does your story take place in both night and day? Yes

10) Have you used any of the five following words in your story: subtle, invisible, gigantic, stubble, morbid. subtle and morbid.

and just to use the origianl questions

1. What's the title of your story? Like a Ghost Cries

2. What's the name of one of the main characters? Erich

3.Is/are they guys/girls? guys

4. What is one setting/location? Marburg Germany

5. If you could pick a genre in which your story would be most suited, which genre would you pick? historical fiction

6. Whats the time period? 1942-46

7. Did you use any of these five completely random words in your story (random dictionary poke): stoic, vivacious, audacious, brazen, lacklustre
No.

commonwealth

Premium Member
HSC
1) Why does my printer smell like effluent?
scuse the blondness; but what is effluent, and is it such a bad thing that your printer smells this way...

2) That cat is pregnant, but why and when and how?

well, when a mummy cat and a daddy cat love each other very much...do i really need to finish this sentence? surely you've already figured it out and if not, ask your mum/dad/guardian to explain

3) Dairy cows are planning to kill us all. Discuss this statement drawing on your knowledge of TWO of your prescribed texts, and ONE of your own choosing. You should allow 45 minutes for this section.
not again...anything but this....

4)What triggered the inspiration for the storyline of your short story?
lots of fairytales and the like, the german ones tend to be particularly gory.

5)Would you ever consider doing a short film or screenplay of your short story?
i honeslty don't think that it would work on film, or at least i wouldn't be able to re-write it into a screenplay. scratch that - i could not be bothered to write a screenplay

Does anyone like T.S. Elliot?
i like his poems about cats...i was given a book of them when i was little and it made me laugh

Imagine you are your main character. What flavour of ice cream would you choose and why?
rum raisin, (i have no idea why, it just seems like something he would like)

What social group at school would your main chatacer fit into?
A very confused one that sort of drifted. He would be the guy that you didn't notice in the group, the quiet loner type

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Sexual. Got a before-refining estimate mark of 46/50 rounded from Jones. I hope you are all in the refining stage by now. New questions by the way, their logicality and appropriateness are wholeheartedly not guaranteed, and may be subject to significant incomprehensibility.

1) What stage are you at? Writing/Refining

2) Estimate the % of your story that has changed since its inception.

3) What is your in-class assessment mark? xx/50.

4) State the point your story is trying to make in a single sentence.

5) Name the experimental or unconventional techniques and structures you have utilised in your story. i.e. thought convergence, dual narrative, flashbacks.

6) Sex.

7) Give a quick summary of your story if everything were made completely opposite and polarised.

8) Setting: Northern hemisphere/Southern hemisphere/Both

9) Do you have intertextuality? What real world allusions did you make?

10) Did you use any of these five words in your story: Transcend, sojourn, melancholy, conjugal, insipid.

11) <3 or </3

---

1) Refining

2) Approx. 50%

3) 48/50

4) That we are an intrinsically flawed race eternally seeking improvement upon such flaws.

5) Thought convergence, dual narrative, flashbacks, interior monologue, others

6) Yahtzee.

7) Two women don't comandeer submarines on a divergent path leading to the deconstruction of a non-atomic flower.

8) Northern Hemisphere.

9) None. I had a reference to an old 1940's jazz record, which I should really put back in. Intertextuality adds authenticity and builds cultural atmosphere. Don't underestimate it!

10) Nup.

11) Definitely <3

Last edited:

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC

Refining, though I'm still below the word limit - haven't done any for a while.

80%

Currently 32/40

People don't make sense, but some are nice.

5) Name the experimental or unconventional techniques and structures you have utilised in your story. i.e. thought convergence, dual narrative, flashbacks.

Almost parrallel stories.

6) Sex.

Not now, I'm busy.

7) Give a quick summary of your story if everything were made completely opposite and polarised.

An old man spends the day at home with his family, talks a lot and pisses people off - while a teenager also stays at home and is really nice to everybody present, causing them to really respect him and do whatever he wants.

Southern.

Maybe, only real world allusions are too cityrail being unreliable, does that count?

10) Did you use any of these five words in your story: Transcend, sojourn, melancholy, conjugal, insipid.

Definatly not.

11) <3 or </3

<3

Cat_Orange

HSC
1) What stage are you at?
Refining and writing. I keep changing my mind on things.

99%

Pffft, no idea. Pretty low, though.

That the hardboiled subgenre sucks balls and should never be taken seriously.

Heh heh... I used first person? Nah, my story is pretty simple in structure and all that.

6) Sex.
Mmmkay, just give me a minute or so.

Death is takes a holiday on a nice little beach with lots of nice little cocktails and pretty women.

Northern, I suppose.

Bwahahaha... yeah, I have intertextuality. I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, but it's there.

No, no, no, no and no.

11) <3 or </3
<3

darkdamsel

HSC
1. What's the title of your story?
The Faceless Model (although may change in the next few weeks)

2. What's the name of one of the main characters?
All the main characters are nameless, and only a one supporting character has an identifyable name - Frost

3.Is/are they guys/girls?
The main characters/the one whose perspective its from is always female, but some stories focus on the male characters

4. What is one setting/location?
My favourite starts in a cafe, second favourite starts in the rain walking down the street.

5. If you could pick a genre in which your story would be most suited, which genre would you pick?
Fiction, Drama, collections... i'm really not sure, its more like realistic/real life fiction... so i'll just make a new genre :p

6. Whats the time period?
Modern day, "Player: times being as they are and all. Guil: And whats that? Player: Indifferent" - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7. Did you use any of these five completely random words in your story (random dictionary poke): stoic, vivacious, audacious, brazen, lacklustre.
Not yet, although i do like them, and i'm sure i can sqeeze them in somewhere :p

Last edited:

darkdamsel

HSC
) Is your story written in first person, second person, or third person? To whoever has used second person, I shall give them my appreciation ($US 10000.00 value).

Second person, excluding the frist story. Butthe epigraphs are also in second person...

2) What is the general tone of your story? humourous, serious, sarcastic etc.

Serious, and it could possibly be read as satirical at some points.

Its not specified, the stories could be consecutive, in which case it would be over a lifetime, or they could be concurrent, in which case it could be a matter of days...

4) How many characters die?

only one.

it went with no title for a while, but now its "The Faceless Model"

6) How many main characters have you utilised?

umm.... 10 at the moment, by completion... possibly 13-14

7) How many sub characters have you utilised?

i think about 13 at present.

8) What is the first plant/animal you mention in the story?

i quite honestly don't think i do mention any plants or animals... i compare a man's teeth to that of a predator ie lion or something but yeh....

9) Does your story take place in both night and day?

Yes

10) Have you used any of the five following words in your story: subtle, invisible, gigantic, stubble, morbid.

one or two, i can't quite recall clearly...

darkdamsel

HSC

Both, but i'm at the end of writing, and part way through refining

100% seeing as i changed my idea/text type after my proposal. but since this idea.... 50%

i don't know, but its really bad...

Human instinct, rebellion, and different perspectives drive people to do the things that society frowns more frequently than realised despite the consequences

the text is mostly second person. Maintaining the protagonists anomnity...
not really thatmuch is special about it...

6) Sex.

yes, and if i could i would do more about it, but i'm scared of the markers thinking of me as a nymphomaiac :p

overall, the stories show the progression through different areas of the modeling world form a models perspective. It shows the sex lies and deciet of the modeling industry, but also shows how it can develope healthy role models confidence, and happy relationships.

Both, but never entirely specified

lots of real world allusions, however never to specific events, people, places or things, and therefore i don't think that thats intertextuality.

i have a felling i have used melancholy, although i;m not sure, i haven't looked at my work in a while.

11) <3 or </3

both....

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
1) What stage are you at? Refining verily

About 40% ish. I'm not good at maths. :S

3) What is your in-class assessment mark?
Haven't done one. I think. Wait. Um. So far...oh, gah, can't work it out. I don't do maths for a reason.

Umm. At what point does what we perceive in our mind become reality. [Read: the opposite of Lord Pheasant's ^_^;]

Very disjointed narrartives, different planes of reality, sexual innuendo to the max (with both formatting and wording), annoyingly narrative, stream-of-counciousness stuff... er... I experimented a lot. ^_^

6) Sex.
Well, what are ou waiting for? Get your clothes off and get on the bed already. *gets out the whip*

Angelic teenaged girl drives in circle with boy while a popular jock screws everyone in town and a non-Asian Asian guy decides his life is all dandy and poppy flowers.

8) Setting: Northern hemishpere/nowhere/unknown, probably an old suburban British town

Yes, I do. I mention an anime (FURI KURI!!!! KURI, KURI, KURI!!) and a little girl quotes Othello.

10) Did you use any of these five words in your story: Transcend, sojourn, melancholy, conjugal, insipid. No, no, no, no, no. Never did like big words like them.

iain_12345

HSC
orange_blob said:
Come to think of it, an entire story written like that would sound kinda cool.

It's strange though, how there are these words that aren't acceptable to use like that, and there isn't really a proper reason for it either. "Fucking" just adds so much more meaning to a statment, it multiplies the superlitiveness (?) by ten. If you say 'It was the biggest tree you'd ever seen', you think, 'yeah, sounds like a big tree', but by simply adding one word 'It was the biggest fucking tree you'd ever seen' makes you think 'wow, that's really a huge tree'.

Such magical words, that can convey such magnificent meanings, it's a shame they aren't socially accepted like that. But I s'pose if they were then they wouldn't have such an immense effect.

This world makes little sense.

I agree 100% i luv to swear, i do it constantly, and when you come from a pommie family all we do is swear, i can't understand that if swearing i accepted in my culture why is it deamed unacceptable by BOS. Like if your writing a very dark story, swearing is the perfect diction, it encompasses the frustration, comedy and dark nature of the characters, i mean not many words can do that . I think swear words hold a very special place in society because the words have become almost as ambiguous as a shakespeare play... saying fuck can have so many connotations that if someone said fuck to me right now id think 'wots he talking about? fuck in what context? is it sex,violence,shock, horror... comedy?'

In conclusion, i luv fuckin swear words and i thnk more swearing should be encourage as i view it as a nice relaxation method. It makes me feel so... grounded and simple and let it be known that simplicity of character is no hindrance to the subtlety of intellect... some of the greatest stories ever written were by complete illiterates.

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
Preparing for the all-nighter

70%? Elements are the same, but almost every scene has been re-written. Continuity nightmare.

Capitalism is evil, but better than communism.

A memorandum at the start. A couple of footnotes. Dystopia.

6) Sex.
Please.
No, it doesn't. It's too awkward to write.

A powerful man would be hired by some clock-watching wiener, only to be screwed out a business deal.

8) Setting:
Sydney, in the forseeable future.

Real world allusions are to geograpical features, such as Windsor and Goulburn (urban sprawl extends to there). Also alludes to Silicon Valley culture.
Intertextuality to 'Jennifer Government', 'Company', '1984', 'Fahrenheit 451', 'Brave New World', 'Bladerunner'

No, wtf, no, why?, no.

some of the greatest stories ever written were by complete illiterates.
Such as?

Last edited:

Emph

HSC
basically finished MW but for minor adjustments. Now just have to write a damn good reflections statement

Inception... big word. Um 100% since proposal.... maybe 80% from first draft.

99% (no report yet)

Famous people have lives too!

Intertextuality of quotes, second person, multiple character viewpoints

6) Sex.
Nah

Manic Depressives would be the happiest people on Earth and Virginia Woolf would still be alive.

8) Setting:
March 18th, 1941

Yes... quotes from Virginia Woolf and have adapted her techniques as my own eg water motif

Yes, no, yes, no, no.

iain_12345

HSC
dasphoebus said:
The Aboriginal dreaming stories...

just thought id add:
Shakespeare had no PROVEN education u can attribute a lot of the literary success of his works to a man called Henry Neville.... a man fkn well-versed in mathematics, classical literature and astronomy. Shakespeare's parents and children were totally illiterate as were many of the english people in his day.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
1) What stage are you at? Refining verily

80%

I'm unsure as yet. Proposal 9/10. Viva 17/20. Report ? (All together thats 26/30 so far)

To tell a tale of a true interracial romance with the sweet delight brought about by romanticised embellishment.

I'll get back to you on that one.

6) Sex.
Is kinky. None of that in my story.

I'll get back on that.

8) Setting: From North Shore suburbs (Ku Ring Gai ish) to Pre WW2 Britain and with a little intake of 1920s Shanghai CHINA

I think I use TS Elliot.

10) Did you use any of these five words in your story: Transcend, sojourn, melancholy, conjugal, insipid. Nope. I used British vernacular though?

dasphoebus

Pastamancer
HSC
iain_12345 said:
The Aboriginal dreaming stories...

just thought id add:
Shakespeare had no PROVEN education u can attribute a lot of the literary success of his works to a man called Henry Neville.... a man fkn well-versed in mathematics, classical literature and astronomy. Shakespeare's parents and children were totally illiterate as were many of the english people in his day.
Doesn't illiterate mean you cannot read or write?

Yes, I know I'm a pedant.

iain_12345

HSC
dasphoebus said:
Doesn't illiterate mean you cannot read or write?

Yes, I know I'm a pedant.

Nah i think in todays context it just means u cant read or write at a certain level, not point-blank - "no pens or books needed"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)