ranking and UAI marks (1 Viewer)

burger125

HSC
Ok we recently got a maths test back, me and some friends got talking and they mentioned something about scale / ranking . Friend X topped his advanced class with 70/83 where as i got 76/83 in the 3 unit maths test and placed 3rd in my class.

so what i wanted to know what is the deal with ranking in your class and does doing 3u maths get "scaled /ranked " better than say the 2u class does because on average the students are working on a higher level?

i have no idea could you please enlighten me, sorry if i sound totally ignorant ;)

LordPc

HSC
i dont know what you are asking exactly but extension maths scales better than 2u maths. your mark of 76 in 3u is much better then his mark of 70 in 2u, however 3u is only one unit

burger125

HSC
i was just wondering about the whole ranking in your class thing ?

i always see people with like 1/20 and so on what does that mean exactly

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
i was just wondering about the whole ranking in your class thing ?

i always see people with like 1/20 and so on what does that mean exactly
If someone is ranked above you internally and you perform better than them in the HSC Exam, then the BOS will swap your marks.

rolror88

HSC
N/A
^ I'm pretty sure its the UAC that does the aligning and scaling process.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
^ I'm pretty sure its the UAC that does the aligning and scaling process.

BOS does the aligning of raw HSC exam marks and the moderation of the school's assessment marks.

UAC does the scaling of the marks for the UAI.

Aligning - is the process of matching raw exam marks to the Bands by adjusting the raw marks upwards so that the responses match the descriptions of the capability of the students in each band. This is done by a group of the HSC markers for each course during the marking process.

Moderation - is the process of adjusting the school's marks to the range of marks earned by the school's cohort in the external exams so that they can be compared across the state e.g. one school might have a range of marks of 30 - 70 and another might have a range of 50 - 90 but the exam marks for both might be 40 - 80 so the two school's school based marks would both be adjuested to that range. The BOS does this so that all the internal marks can be compared using a common criteria - otherwise schools would inflate all students marks.

Scaling - is the process used by UAC to compare all the results of all the students in all the subjects to determine the state based ranks for the UAI.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
BOS does the aligning of raw HSC exam marks and the moderation of the school's assessment marks.

UAC does the scaling of the marks for the UAI.

Aligning - is the process of matching raw exam marks to the Bands by adjusting the raw marks upwards so that the responses match the descriptions of the capability of the students in each band. This is done by a group of the HSC markers for each course during the marking process.

Moderation - is the process of adjusting the school's marks to the range of marks earned by the school's cohort in the external exams so that they can be compared across the state e.g. one school might have a range of marks of 30 - 70 and another might have a range of 50 - 90 but the exam marks for both might be 40 - 80 so the two school's school based marks would both be adjuested to that range. The BOS does this so that all the internal marks can be compared using a common criteria - otherwise schools would inflate all students marks.

Scaling - is the process used by UAC to compare all the results of all the students in all the subjects to determine the state based ranks for the UAI.
You know how in the committee, the panel of judges make cut-offs for band marks for each question; just how do they make cut-offs for multiple choice?

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
one school might have a range of marks of 30 - 70 and another might have a range of 50 - 90 but the exam marks for both might be 40 - 80 so the two school's school based marks would both be adjuested to that range. The BOS does this so that all the internal marks can be compared using a common criteria - otherwise schools would inflate all students marks.
This is crap!

If i got 100% in the yearly trial mathematics examination, does that mean that it would come out as say 95% because i go to a crap school????

dp624

HSC
This is crap!

If i got 100% in the yearly trial mathematics examination, does that mean that it would come out as say 95% because i go to a crap school????
yeah it might.
however, let's assume this
A and B go to wildly differently ranked schools (say, 600th and 5th).

A, B get 100% in their trial and end up 1st of their grade.

A, B also both get 100% in their externals. This means that they'll both get 100/100 = 1st in state.

However, if A gets 95%, then his/her mark will be 95/95 = 95 overall.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You know how in the committee, the panel of judges make cut-offs for band marks for each question; just how do they make cut-offs for multiple choice?

Multiple choice is done differently to written responses and I have never done multiple choice judging - sorry.

lindax

HSC
yer someone please explain everything im so confused, as you can tell my subjects are not the best academically, but i am above average in all of them............ and i got told that i can not get over 90 even if i do really well in all my subjuects!!!!

is that true

pillar

HSC
Let's say I ranked 1st in a subject yet all the other people doing the same subject at my school were absolutely shit throughout the year, not doing much work at all and when they do it's pretty bad.

If I went and got like 95 external in the HSC, does that mark get brought down because everyone else in my class got like 70?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This is crap!

No.

It means that if you go to a school which sent to the BOS a top mark of 90 and another school sends in a top mark of 60 but both schools top exam mark is 70 then the top students at both schools will be 70. However if the top mark at both schools on the external exam was 100 then that would be the top mark for both schools. The school's top exam mark becomes the school's top assessment mark (unless there are equal firsts in which case they average the top two or three marks depending on how many students were tied).

Your trial mark only contributes part of the mark sent to the BOS and that percentage will differ from school to school.

To get some form of parity between schools with their different assessment tasks and weightings then the BOS has to come up with a way of equating those marks.

They do this by using the range of marks earnt by the cohort in the HSC exam. It is the range of marks from the exam that allows the BOS to put a range of marks on the school's assessment marks. Some schools set much harder tasks than others so the BOS wants to be fair.

The moderation means that if the school sends in a range of marks from 30 - 90 and the exam marks are 50 - 95 then the moderated assessment mark's range will also be 50 - 95. The total number of marks for the school will also be the same so if the school's total exam marks was 1499 then 1499 marks will be allocated to the school for the moderated assessment marks. Finally the top and bottom moderated assessment marks are set by the exam (but the other assessment marks won't NOT necessarily match any other students' exam marks).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Let's say I ranked 1st in a subject yet all the other people doing the same subject at my school were absolutely shit throughout the year, not doing much work at all and when they do it's pretty bad.

If I went and got like 95 external in the HSC, does that mark get brought down because everyone else in my class got like 70?

NO.

If you come first on the school's assessment then you moderated assessment mark will be the top exam mark from the HSC.

Take this scenario: The school gives you a mark of 90 and a rank of 1/20. You then get 98 on the HSC itself then your exam mark will remain at 98 and your moderated assessment mark will be 98 so your final mark will be 98 but imagine that you got 95 and the second ranked student managed 96 then your exam mark will be 95 but your moderated assessment mark would be 96 as you were the top ranked student from your school.

kkyle

HSC
NO.

If you come first on the school's assessment then you moderated assessment mark will be the top exam mark from the HSC.

Take this scenario: The school gives you a mark of 90 and a rank of 1/20. You then get 98 on the HSC itself then your exam mark will remain at 98 and your moderated assessment mark will be 98 so your final mark will be 98 but imagine that you got 95 and the second ranked student managed 96 then your exam mark will be 95 but your moderated assessment mark would be 96 as you were the top ranked student from your school.
Thanks, that has been a great help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)