Ranking of your school (1 Viewer)

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Does the ranking of your school play a role in your HSC?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

maomaobrowncow

HSC
yes it does. your school assessment constitutes half of your hsc mark..and thus your school rank will be considered in order to moderate your hsc marks accordingly

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No - the rank of your school in 2008 will be determined after all the results for the 2008 cohort from your school have been determined.

Your results, as a cohort, determine the rank not the other way round.

So your school's rank, as last published, will have no impact on your results as that rank was the rank of the 2007 cohort after they had done their HSC.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
but what if their is like three people in your class
Well then you better hope they do well, otherwise you're fucked - especially if they beat you.

Your school rank does play a role - I'm not saying it fully impacts your results... you can do well anywhere - whether you go to James Ruse or to a school ranked in the 600s. Also the only rank that impacts you is YOUR COHORT'S rank, so regardless if your school did shit last year (I know mine did compared to other years) that rank won't affect you - however it does set a trend on what you should expect.

Jack Burton

ninja of the world
HSC
our teacher told us that ranking wouldn't count and that we'd need at least five people for it to. he also said that our assessment tasks would not matter, he said it would only matter if we had a "misadventure" during the hsc. then they would use the assessment task results to estimate our hsc mark.

when he explained it to us it kinda made sense, is this true?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
our teacher told us that ranking wouldn't count and that we'd need at least five people for it to. he also said that our assessment tasks would not matter, he said it would only matter if we had a "misadventure" during the hsc. then they would use the assessment task results to estimate our hsc mark.

when he explained it to us it kinda made sense, is this true?
Well when they moderate your internal mark, they consider how your school went - so I'm pretty sure unless you're the only person in your class, the performance of your cohort does matter.

Also with the "misadventure" - that's true; however they don't use your direct assessment task results, they would moderate it with respect to your class' performance in the HSC Externals first.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Well when they moderate your internal mark, they consider how your school went - so I'm pretty sure unless you're the only person in your class, the performance of your cohort does matter.

Also with the "misadventure" - that's true; however they don't use your direct assessment task results, they would moderate it with respect to your class' performance in the HSC Externals first.
In order to just reinforce what my friend said there, the performance of your cohort in the particular subject matters. So someone who does Textiles won't affect your performance in Mathematics. It's just the people at your school in your subject that matter.

However, in saying that, if you come first, you won't be adversely affected in anyway.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Based on experience of small classes.

A single student at a school in a class will have their exam become the assessment mark - I sent in a student with a mark of 86% but he bombed the exam and ended up with 58% for exam, assessment and final HSC.

Two students will operate the same as other classes - I sent in a top mark of 92% and a bottom mark of 84% but the second student scored 92 on the exam and the first student scored 90 so top student ended up with 92 90 and 91 and the second student ended up with 90 92 and 91.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)