• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ranking scaling all that bs (1 Viewer)

kevda1st

HSC
School rankings are based on the year that does the HSC.
Your school rank when YOU do the HSC will have nothing to do with the year before.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Re: too late to improve for assessments ?

That's assuming you beat the kids ranked above you in the external examinations, which is unlikely since you couldn't beat them in the internal. Rather, you should be worried about the people below you.
I thought so too, but from experience, you still can.
I was ranked 22nd internally for Maths last year when i was accelerating, however I managed to get a Band 6 and most of the people ranked between 10th-20th didn't get a Band 6.

High ranks do help, but so does going well in the externals.

runnable

HSC
School rankings are based on the year that does the HSC.
Your school rank when YOU do the HSC will have nothing to do with the year before.

Indeed but the school's ranking is only used for an indication.

youngminii

Banned
HSC

I thought so too, but from experience, you still can.
I was ranked 22nd internally for Maths last year when i was accelerating, however I managed to get a Band 6 and most of the people ranked between 10th-20th didn't get a Band 6.

High ranks do help, but so does going well in the externals.
Yeah but, that's assuming you can do really well all of a sudden. I mean it's not like everyone else isn't trying really hard as well. I guess you just studied better :D But yeah, it's kinda unrealistic to think that you can study harder than people that have beaten you and studied harder than you etc.

(Btw what's PBC? Your sig)

OMGOMGOMG I ONLY NEED TO BEAT LIKE 5 PEOPLE BY ONE MARK IN THE NEXT MATHS TESTS TO COME FIRST IN 4U AND 3U~

MrDimple

HSC

HOLY CRAPP mines ranked like 45th :monkey:
thats heaps good i dontreally care bout where my school is ranked i like the people in my school im doing heaps well now i feel smarter :D since my school is in the west lol

Aplus

HSC
N/A
What's the deal with external exams? I heard that whatever rank you received for your internal assessment mark, that's the mark you will get for the external exam? For example, if you were ranked 1 in Advanced English, then for the HSC Advanced English no matter how crap you do, you 'steal' the marks of the person in your school who came first in the external exam, and that mark becomes yours, whilst your shit mark goes to some other person who had a bad ranking. Is this really how it works, because it doesn't sound all too fair to me at all.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Yeah but, that's assuming you can do really well all of a sudden. I mean it's not like everyone else isn't trying really hard as well. I guess you just studied better :D But yeah, it's kinda unrealistic to think that you can study harder than people that have beaten you and studied harder than you etc.

(Btw what's PBC? Your sig)

OMGOMGOMG I ONLY NEED TO BEAT LIKE 5 PEOPLE BY ONE MARK IN THE NEXT MATHS TESTS TO COME FIRST IN 4U AND 3U~
Hmm true, or maybe it was the fact that I didn't study at all during the year xD

But yeah - I guess the main point is that it's never too late to improve - and I know that from personal experience.

Also PBC - is my school's initials (I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology)

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
What's the deal with external exams? I heard that whatever rank you received for your internal assessment mark, that's the mark you will get for the external exam? For example, if you were ranked 1 in Advanced English, then for the HSC Advanced English no matter how crap you do, you 'steal' the marks of the person in your school who came first in the external exam, and that mark becomes yours, whilst your shit mark goes to some other person who had a bad ranking. Is this really how it works, because it doesn't sound all too fair to me at all.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I think this is how it goes:

Whatever rank you receive internally aligns itself with the external mark of whoever placed your rank externally. Confusing, I know but stick with it:

You: Internally - 2nd, Externally - 95 (1st from your school)
Someone else: Internally - 1st, Externally - 93 (2nd from your school)

So you get 93 for your aligned internal mark, and 95 for your external mark --> 94 HSC mark

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Lol that's true, but you seem to be misunderstanding a bit.
The key piece of information that you're missing is that your mark is split into two parts, your internal and external mark.
So by your hypothetical situation, you 'steal' the external mark of the person who came first FOR YOUR INTERNAL MARK. You still keep your really crap external mark. These two are averaged out and ta-da! There's your HSC mark.

Edit: Beaten to the punch. That guy explained it better than I did as well :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)