Rankings of Unis (1 Viewer)

lum

HSC
does anyone have the list of Times Higher Education Supplement rankings of universities? just the ones that's relevant for australia would be nice :)

zelba

HSC
Sorry I don't know exactly but I know in 2005 the ANU in Canberra was ranked the highest in Australia

InFeRn0

HSC
here u go

1 (1) Harvard University, US
2 (3) Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US
3 (6) Cambridge University, UK
4 (5) Oxford University, UK
5 (7) Stanford University, US
6 (2) University of California, Berkeley, US
7 (8) Yale University, US
8 (4) California Institute of Technology, US
9 (9) Princeton University, US
10 (27) Ecole Polytechnique, France
11= (52) Duke University, US
11= (11) London School of Economics, UK
13 (14) Imperial College London, UK
14 (23) Cornell University, US
15 (17) Beijing University, China
16 (12) Tokyo University, Japan
17= (20) University of California, San Francisco, US
17= (13) University of Chicago, US
19 (22) Melbourne University, Australia
20 (19) Columbia University, US

*last years rank in brackets

Last edited:

jessiej87

HSC
Australia's best universities

The Good Oil

The first to attempt some sort of quantitatively based ranking of the entire world's universities was the Shanghai Jiao Tong University, which only began the exercise in 2003. You can read their current results here.

“irked at some parvenus” Irked that some parvenus in a supposed–Third World nation had deigned to pass judgement on the First World, the well-respected The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) in the United Kingdom came up with its own Top 200 list of the world's best universities in November 2004; together with some sniffy commentary on the ostensible defects of the SJTU ratings. They repeated the exercise in November 2005.

Ranking the world's universities is a big job, and a difficult one. It's impossible to say how far the concept is meaningful. Everyone would agree that some universities are better than others, but how do we measure the differences? Since no one else has put their hands up to do the task, the SJTU and THES rankings stand as the only benchmarks we can use.

We've read a detailed defence of SJTU's methodology in one of our favourite journals, Scientometrics1. We haven't seen anyone defend the THES rankings in any scholarly journal.

The SJTU Rankings

When SJTU's rankings first appeared, the senior management at the University of Sydney sat up in their chairs. This university is one of Australia's oldest, established as an Antipodean Oxford 150 years ago. All well and fine when your function is to reproduce the colonial upper-class. Not today: Australian universities have to produce results, not blue-bloods, to rake in the dough. It has taken the University of Sydney 40 years to come to terms with that sad reality.

The University of Sydney was shocked by its SJTU ranking. In late 2004 it summoned its biggest poobahs to a senior management forum (in a NSW north coast hideaway) to discuss ways of improving their ranking. Their intention is to become first in the country (Australia); fifth in the region (Asia) and 40th in the world by 2010; on SJTU's ranking. They call it the 1:5:40 strategy.

The THES Rankings

The THES ranks the Australian universities much higher than SJTU. We are more than dubious. The 2005 THES ratings places two Australian universities as better than every single university in Europe, save two; as better than every university in Japan save one; as better than UCSD, Cornell, UCLA, the Ecole Polytechnique, Kyoto and Johns Hopkins.

That is crap: pure and simple.

We think that the toffs at THES have some very serious rethinking to do. We also suggest that those academics {professors} at those two Aussie universities who are ecstatic at the THES ratings release their grip from their genitalia and apply it to reality instead.

Defending the THES Rankings: Ms Radovanovic Writes
We recently received an email from a reader using the moniker ‘Radovanovic’ (dradovan@bigpond.net.au), pungently defending the THES rankings against our criticisms. We at the Key Centre are big believers in letting have our critics have their say, right here at archsoc.com, for all to see.

Like many of our self-effacing correspondents, ‘Radovanovic’ was too shy to sign his or her real name or affiliation (our investigations seem to indicate that ‘Radovanovic’ was emailing from Canberra in the Australian Capital Territory2). Since we have no way of knowing the reader's sex, we shall use the title Ms as a suitable neutral honorific.

Ms Radovanovic has her say below. We reproduce the relevant portions of the email below, exactly as ‘Radovanovic’ sent it.

‘i sincerely hope that it wasn't you who wrote such comments on the australian universities and their performance in THES 2005, but if you did write that stuff well than let me educate you about some things. Well the THES is right simply because a third world country should not pass any judgement on the first world counties such as Australia and secondly THES is highly popular prestigious and respected source of information and yes it's British and that means they are definitely right and credible and the second Times Higher World Rankings is the best guide to the world's top universities, says Martin Ince the editor.Obviously since THES looks at the modern way of analysing the rankings of universities not using some stupid methology like the Shanghai rankings did basing everything around the notion of science-related citations while THES offers a more consistent and systematic look at the world's top universities in the context of the globalisation of higher education which is obviously what is happening in our world today.British are obviously right since they had universities before other people around the world knew what a book was and therefore their rankings are the best so far,first class all the way.

‘so thefore you should stop writing your little pity insignificant dumb comment you bloody idiot’

The Results
We list SJTU's ranking here to present a list of Australia's best universities. To be fair, we also present the THES ranks from both 2004 and 2005.

The SJTU Rankings
SJTU ranks the top 500 of the world's universities.

SJTU does not supply a specific rank after number 100, only a grouping. Admittedly, the groupings are inconsistent from year to year, but what the hey.

University 2003 2004 2005
Australian National University 49 53 53
University of Melbourne 92 82 82
University of Queensland 102-151 101-152 101-152
University of Sydney 102-151 101-152 101-152
University of Western Australia — 153-201 153-201
University of New South Wales 152-200 153-201 153-201
Monash University 152-200 202-301 202-301
University of Adelaide 201-250 202-301 202-301
Macquarie University 300-350 302-403 302-403
University of Newcastle 351-400 302-403 302-403
University of Tasmania 351-400 302-403 302-403
Flinders University of South Australia — 404-502 404-502
Murdoch University — 404-502 404-502
La Trobe University 401-450 404-502 404-502
James Cook University 401-450 — —
University of the Sunshine Coast 152-200 — —

The THES Rankings
THES ranks the top 200 of the world's universities.

University 2004 2005 2005 vs 2004
University of Melbourne 22 19 ↑
Australian National University 16 23 ↓
Monash University 33 34 ↓
University of Sydney 40 38 ↑
University of New South Wales 36 40= ↓
University of Queensland 49 40= ↑
Macquarie University 68 67 ↑
University of Adelaide 56 80= ↓↓
University of Western Australia 96 80= ↑↑
RMIT 55 82 ↓↓
University of Technology, Sydney 113 87 ↑↑
La Trobe University 142 98 ↑↑
Curtin University of Technology 76 101 ↓↓
Queensland University of Technology — 118 ↑↑
University of Newcastle — 127 ↑↑
University of South Australia — 154 ↑↑
University of Tasmania 151 166 ↓↓

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT ALL DEPENDS WHERE U LOOK!!

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I'd like to think that the Times rankings are a little more accurate than the SJTU rankings, purely based on the fact that US universities seem to be completely overrepresented in the top 100. Either way though I think that the only telling thing about these surveys is that the major Australian universities: UNSW, Usyd, Monash and UQ perform consistantly at around the same level, and ANU and Umelb consistantly outperform them. It's rather questionable though whether these rankings directly translate into the quality of teaching at an undergraduate level, especially the SJTU ranks since they have such an intense focus upon journal citations.

Wolfowitz

, now also hated by Jews!
HSC
I also must say that ANU's recent creation of the college system will push it up a lot higher this year.

Chixidol

HSC
lum said:
does anyone have the list of Times Higher Education Supplement rankings of universities? just the ones that's relevant for australia would be nice :)
Dont count on these bloody rankings........

Can you beleive that they ranked Indian Institute Of Technology above Stanford University(birthplace of yahoo and google) in Technology.

This year Duke jumped 41 places up.....utterly ridiculous.....so much improvement in a year.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
THe Times has a very unreliable ranking system from what I've heard.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Chixidol said:
Dont count on these bloody rankings........

Can you beleive that they ranked Indian Institute Of Technology above Stanford University(birthplace of yahoo and google) in Technology.

This year Duke jumped 41 places up.....utterly ridiculous.....so much improvement in a year.
they changed the weightings.. and hence the improvement

the THES one is more eurocentric in a sense and is significantly bias towards western & english speaking nations.. the SJTU was suppose to counter this

both weights undergraduate teaching and quality kinda low... and in terms of most of us?... we goto crap undergrads.. then we head to UMelb or ANU for our graduate work.. :D

i have money that UWA should technically shoot up in the next set of results.. just because of one win

kartman

HSC
FYI the indian institutes of technology are one of the best in the world for engineering and IT programs.

the quality of research and the students are easily comparable if not better than top US universities like stanford.

the level of maths and other science education is waay higher in asian countries compared to us. This guy in my math unit from india had already done all of 1st and 2nd year engineering mathematics in high school.

kartman

HSC
oh and imho the Times rankings for the most accurate and unbiased rankings you could get since they are based on peer review

Hanzo

HSC
kartman said:
the level of maths and other science education is waay higher in asian countries compared to us. This guy in my math unit from india had already done all of 1st and 2nd year engineering mathematics in high school.
yeh i know.. my dad was telling me off.. saying i cant even do simple year 12 2U shit
hahaha and then he compares it to his high school days back in a 3rd world asian country... and says year 12 maths is like year 9 maths in his days... hahaha

peace^^

Last edited:

epsilon

HSC
Hey guys, doesn't it piss you off that Victorian unis seem to always kick NSW unis's asses when it comes to those rankings?

Why is it that Melbourne Uni consistantly kicks Sydney Uni and UNSW's asses? Is that our equivalent of Harvard or Cambridge or something? I wonder if it's cut-offs for courses there are much higher than here or something?

And according to THES 2005, Monash Uni also came in higher than Sydney Uni/UNSW.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
As if U.S unis are any good! It is easier to get into uni and do law there than here! I wonder why there are so many U.S unis in the top spots. Biased, biased!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Tuna said:
As if U.S unis are any good! It is easier to get into uni and do law there than here! I wonder why there are so many U.S unis in the top spots. Biased, biased!
You're not even in uni yet, what the hell do you know about this ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)