Rankings question.. (1 Viewer)

forme

HSC
N/A
So I've been curious about the whole ranking thing and how it works because apparently if I'm coming say last in my school, but in the externals I come 10/20 I won't get that mark instead I'd get the lowest mark? Is this true? Instead the person who is ranked 10th will get my mark?

I just need a confirmation about these 'rumours', also that we should be help each other out?

Also I have a friend who bombed out in his trials even though through out the year he had been getting 80+ however now he got 50s and some he failed and he had basically gave up, because it affected his rankings and hearing that^ didn't exactly help so I just want to confirm to him that he can still improve and so on. Tell him not to give up just yet :spin:

enoilgam

HSC
You will get the lowest internal mark. However, you always get to keep your external mark. You should help lift the standard of your cohort for the final exams so your internal marks will be bumped up. This is how the BOS explains the process http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

Your final exams are worth 50%, so there is still time to improve.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You will get the lowest internal mark. However, you always get to keep your external mark. You should help lift the standard of your cohort for the final exams so your internal marks will be bumped up. This is how the BOS explains the process http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

Your final exams are worth 50%, so there is still time to improve.
Yes, the BOS will try to moderate the marks in such a way that the highest exam mark achieved externally over the whole cohort is given to the first placed person, and the lowest exam mark achieved externally is given to the last placed person as their moderated school assessment mark.

Skriker

HSC
Yes, the BOS will try to moderate the marks in such a way that the highest exam mark achieved externally over the whole cohort is given to the first placed person, and the lowest exam mark achieved externally is given to the last placed person as their moderated school assessment mark.
Wait, so the person with the lowest external mark will be replace the person with the lowest internal assesment mark? Basically pulling the last persons mark down if the person ranked higher doesn't achieve a higher mark than the lowest persons mark internally? Thats kind of BS.

For example if student A comes last and is ranked 50/50 and gets like 60% internally but kills there externals and gets say 80% and another person is ranked higher say 45/50 and does shit in there external and gets like 40% does that mean the person replaces the 80% with the 40% for the assesment mark? as it is now the lowest external mark? I find this hard too believe because wouldn't it be extremely unfair I mean a person works so hard to achieve a mark of 80% and then gets there assesment mark moderated to 40% while the other person whos ranked 45/50 gets your 60% internal assesment mark or they get too keep there original assessment mark? Can you confirm this shadowdude? This is soo bullshit.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Wait, so the person with the lowest external mark will be replace the person with the lowest internal assesment mark? Basically pulling the last persons mark down if the person ranked higher doesn't achieve a higher mark than the lowest persons mark internally? Thats kind of BS.

For example if student A comes last and is ranked 50/50 and gets like 60% internally but kills there externals and gets say 80% and another person is ranked higher say 45/50 and does shit in there external and gets like 40% does that mean the person replaces the 80% with the 40% for the assesment mark? as it is now the lowest external mark? I find this hard too believe because wouldn't it be extremely unfair I mean a person works so hard to achieve a mark of 80% and then gets there assesment mark moderated to 40% while the other person whos ranked 45/50 gets your 60% internal assesment mark? Can you confirm this shadowdude? This is soo bullshit.

Actually if you think about it it is fair. They came last all year so should get a mark that reflects that rank so his moderated assessment mark would be 40 but...he/she also worked their backside off and got 80 for their external - which they also keep. Their final mark would be 60 - the average of the 40 for internal and 80 for extenal. A fair mark that reflects there work throughout the entire course and not just the work they did at the end.

Skriker

HSC
Actually if you think about it it is fair. They came last all year so should get a mark that reflects that rank so his moderated assessment mark would be 40 but...he/she also worked their backside off and got 80 for their external - which they also keep. Their final mark would be 60 - the average of the 40 for internal and 80 for extenal. A fair mark that reflects there work throughout the entire course and not just the work they did at the end.
Yes but I am saying that it is unfair as it is a lower mark..Which they don't deserve.

Skriker

HSC
It's fair.

Smart people gonna smart anyway, shouldnt affect them
Actually no, this is because in our trials this wasn't the case a guy in our year came last in business studies and got in his 80s for his test while the other guy ranked above him got in his 40's so that is not the case..

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes but I am saying that it is unfair as it is a lower mark..Which they don't deserve.
it's to reward people who work hard all year as opposed to people who may be intelligent but are lazy

it's fair because the hsc is intended to measure how hard you work, not your intelligence

taeyang

HSC
wowowow, so say if you are coming first, and you are a dick, can you just do NOTHING in the test, and the person coming last gets 0 and you get the highest mark? fuarrrk come at me bro.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
wowowow, so say if you are coming first, and you are a dick, can you just do NOTHING in the test, and the person coming last gets 0 and you get the highest mark? fuarrrk come at me bro.
why wuld u do that? if u get zero ur just going to fail the subject urself.

Skriker

HSC
why wuld u do that? if u get zero ur just going to fail the subject urself.
he just said, the person who is ranked first will get the highest external mark therefore..... he doesn't have to do anything in the test....

tambam

HSC
he just said, the person who is ranked first will get the highest external mark therefore..... he doesn't have to do anything in the test....
No, the person coming first will get the highest external mark as his internal mark.
That's only 50% of his total mark.....It's jeopardising his external mark, so no idiot would do that
Its not that complicated guys

HSC
Uni Grad
no, the person ranked first who does nothing in the external exam will get zero for their external mark

powlmao

Banned
HSC
You would still fail the test because you will have zero for your external, but if you wanted to do it to a subject which won't count for you....

HSC
Uni Grad
also, the bos has measures in place to protect the lowest ranked person from people ranked higher but gets like zero in the externals

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

But they do deserve the lower as they didn't work that well all year - so they got rewarded for their good work with their good exam mark but also got penalised for their poor work throughout the year with their poor assessment mark.

The HSC is a year long course and students have to work well all year - not just for half of it (internals or externals).

x3Reii

HSC
You still have to remember that your external is a stand-alone mark that does not get moderated only scaled accordingly. It is also worth a 50% chunk of your ATAR so no person smart enough to be ranked first would jeopardize their marks by getting zero.

Also, you're mark in the exam is a stand-alone mark and you still retain that mark. So even if you're say coming 10/30 (which btw, is still pretty respectable), and score high in your externals, your ATAR can still be higher than someone who is coming first (thats assuming if they bombed the externals, which is unlikely). And universities look at your ATAR not your internal assessment mark.

Overally message? Do the best you can in the externals and kill them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)