rankings (1 Viewer)

Flutterby

HSC
hey the rankings my report said are different to the rankings on students online. For advanced english i came 6th, but it says that i came 7th? Is this a mistake? If so, what should i do??

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
Flutterby said:
hey the rankings my report said are different to the rankings on students online. For advanced english i came 6th, but it says that i came 7th? Is this a mistake? If so, what should i do??
call ur school up....and talk to your principal as soona s possible to get everything sorted out

dan_viper88

HSC
hey the rankings my report said are different to the rankings on students online. For

hey the exact thing happened to me. My report said i came 6th in advanced english but students online said i came 7th. I went to my school this morning and appparently the problem was that i came equal 6th and the person i tied with had a 0.5 higher mark then me but our percentages were still the same. But they had to discriminate between the both of us so i ended up getting 7th rank although i was 6th

PREETY F***ED UP I GUESS BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, its a differnce in how the two handle ties as well as how they round the marks.

Not much you can do about that.

If it was reported as 6th by the school, and studentsonline said something like 20, then there is a problem, but in this case there isnt.

Carnivour

HSC
plus, its the difference between the ranks that matters, not the actual numerical ranks themselves. and since there was only 0.5 mark of a difference, it ultimately wont matter at all, so dont worry about it

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
yeah, on my report i came 1/58, but on students online it ses 1/56... no one dropped out to my knowledge.... is it coz people tied!?

hYperTrOphY

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Report rankings are TRIAL results. The rankings on the website are ASSESSMENT results.
Not necessarily. At my school, we were given both.

Last edited:

Lil Clutch

HSC
yeah at my school our trial hsc reports slash yearly reports put down our assessment marks and ranks, not just marks and ranks for our trial hsc. and our assessment mark was made up of 4-5 assessments we had over the year, each with different weightings, however the trials did have the largest weighting (40% for most subjects, 20% ish for english).

Lil Clutch

HSC
umm maybe what he meant by final assessment mark was what i was saying about how we got an assessment mark, based on various weightings of 4-5 set assessment task we did for each subject over the year. of course no one should know the marks that get submitted to the board, but my maths teacher told me that most marks (for maths that is) were left as is (our final report mark, not just the trial hsc alone), but then it can get changed, moderated, whatever, i dont know what goes on in that world.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Sorry, but you never get your final assessment results from your school. The Board does not allow schools to release final assessment marks as they are moderated and may give a false indication of a students position. You only receive your Trial results, and perhaps a mark from a single other assessment.
Well explain this (from my yr 12 yearly report)

English Advanced 2 Unit
Assessment rank: 38/90
Exam mark: 83%
Exam rank: 29/90
Application: A

We get our overall assessment rank but not the mark. I don't think there are any rules regarding handing out of ranks.

Jazzap

HSC
Yeah i had a problem with my rankings. For senior science on students online it had 19th out of 19 for me, when in fact i came 5th. Seeing this a just a bit of a problem i went up to school and told the vice principal about it, and worked out it was a simple typo..and should be worked out soon. But damn, had me worried for a bit..

Srixon

HSC
yeah dumsum u r right playboy2njoy doesnt really understand what u said i also got my final assesment ranks for each class u r alowed to have them but you are not alowed to have your assesment mark. we also got our trial mark and the trial rank

Srixon

HSC
I know that i said i got my final assemsnet RANK not the mark

dan_viper88

HSC
sorry, but you are wrong the school is allowed to disclose you final assesment marks and ranks in your report, as long as it is reavled after the ranks from the BOS are given out

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Dumsum said:
Most of my teachers told me my assessment mark anyway. :)
What they have told you is your raw assessment mark - the one they submitted to the BOS.

These are subject to scaling and adjustments AFTER the marking process has been completed and so would not be available yet.

Don't be surprised if the mark they gave you is somewhat different to the one that appears on your results from the BOS.

The various documents that I have seen from the BOS make it clear that teachers are NOT to give out the final assessment marks (but I know many do).

Final ranks are not supposed to be issued until all exams are completed but again many teachers give those out in the last week of school for Year 12 or even earlier.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
cem said:
What they have told you is your raw assessment mark - the one they submitted to the BOS.

These are subject to scaling and adjustments AFTER the marking process has been completed and so would not be available yet.

Don't be surprised if the mark they gave you is somewhat different to the one that appears on your results from the BOS.

The various documents that I have seen from the BOS make it clear that teachers are NOT to give out the final assessment marks (but I know many do).

Final ranks are not supposed to be issued until all exams are completed but again many teachers give those out in the last week of school for Year 12 or even earlier.
Yes, I know this. It's why I'm not running around screaming "I got 100 in physics and chemistry and maths extension 1!!"

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
playboy2njoy said:
I dont think a mark of 100 would be moderated that much :D

It will be converted to the top exam mark gained by the group from that school, so that if the top scaled exam mark is 50 for instance (in other words the teacher was a dope and didn't understnad the system!!!) then the 100 would be scaled to 50.

If the teacher knows their job then no it shouldn't scale that much BUT it will depend on the exam results of that school.

dan_viper88

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Incorrect. Final assessment marks are not to be revealed. The board will not allow release of final school-based assessment.
Well in my report this is what i was given for english Adv:

(Overall) Assesment rank: 6/23
(Overall) Assesment mark: 83
Trial result: 78/105
Trial rank: 4/23

Yet on students online i was ranked 7th. Obviously concerned I went to my school and "appparently" i came equal 6th and the person i tied with had a 0.5 (83.4) higher mark then me but our percentages were still the same (even though on my report it wasnt stated that i came "equal" 6th). But they said that they had to discriminate between the both of us so i ended up getting 7th rank although i was 6th.
Does this information that my school gave me sound true? can the board discriminate on the basis of 0.5 marks? I thought that the school had to send in full marks to the BOS not decimal points. Am i being screwed out of a rank? what should i do?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

roadcone

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
Actually a first place in a subject excludes you from the moderation process.
from what i understand this isn't the case unless you also come first in the exam also (and even then your assessment mark will be moderated based upon your performance on the hsc). therefore it is basically impossible to avoid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)