Raw marks for a band 6 in standard english (1 Viewer)

Ivy Mike

HSC
Title says it all. I've been looking over the website however I haven't been able to turn up much as most of the people who have posted their raw marks in the past did adv.

I realize that the value will fluctuate every year. I'm just looking for an estimation.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
Title says it all. I've been looking over the website however I haven't been able to turn up much as most of the people who have posted their raw marks in the past did adv.

I realize that the value will fluctuate every year. I'm just looking for an estimation.

Thanks in advance for any help.
u have to be in the top 64 in the state to get band 6.

atomz

HSC
only about 0.2% of students in standard get a band 6. Yeh like Hermes said you have to be in the top 70 or so.. they expect you to do advanced if your that good or some bullshit

Ivy Mike

HSC
u have to be in the top 64 in the state to get band 6.
Yeah, I've heard that the total percentage of students who achieved a band 6 last year was something like 0.18%. To be honest, if I'd known that standard english was such a scam at the beginning of year 12 I wouldn't have thought once about dropping.

As it is, I'm stuck with this shit and I'm not going to let the subject ruin my atar. I've worked pretty hard to come first internally with some other fairly decent students. If I have to come in the top 64 in the state then I'll see it through.

Edit: I'm looking for the raw marks, not the state rank.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
Yeah, I've heard that the total percentage of students who achieved a band 6 last year was something like 0.18%. To be honest, if I'd known that standard english was such a scam at the beginning of year 12 I wouldn't have thought once about dropping.

As it is, I'm stuck with this shit and I'm not going to let the subject ruin my atar. I've worked pretty hard to come first internally with some other fairly decent students. If I have to come in the top 64 in the state then I'll see it through.
dont think about it like having to come in the top 64 in the state. that will make it seem more daunting than it is. just work as hard as u can and dont panic too much on exam day and u can get that band 6.

also after standard's crappy aligning it actually scales the same as advanced. so even if u get like 88 or 89 in standard it wont affect u too much.

Ivy Mike

HSC
dont think about it like having to come in the top 64 in the state. that will make it seem more daunting than it is. just work as hard as u can and dont panic too much on exam day and u can get that band 6.

also after standard's crappy aligning it actually scales the same as advanced. so even if u get like 88 or 89 in standard it wont affect u too much.
So I need a raw ~88 in standard for a band 6? Not too happy with that... although it's not far from what I expected.

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
So I need a raw ~88 in standard for a band 6? Not too happy with that... although it's not far from what I expected.
no i meant that even if u got 88 as ur hsc mark for standard it wuldnt affect ur atar too much.

Ivy Mike

HSC
no i meant that even if u got 88 as ur hsc mark for standard it wuldnt affect ur atar too much.
Ah ok, but approximately what raw mark would I need to be looking at in the externals to get a ~90%?

maths94

HSC
last year my friend got 88 in english standard and got 80 percent in trials...so it is possible but very hard

Ivy Mike

HSC
Actually from what i've heard thats pretty much exactly what you need or better.
Not going to believe it until someone who's knowledgeable about this sort of stuff decides to post... It's just too ridiculous.

Last edited:

smartalec

HSC
64 in the state get it a year. not much. heaps of people can get over 90%. My friend got 90% in her trials last year (CSSA) and still recieved a band 5. I reckon 97%+

Ivy Mike

HSC
64 in the state get it a year. not much. heaps of people can get over 90%. My friend got 90% in her trials last year (CSSA) and still recieved a band 5. I reckon 97%+
This still doesn't answer the question...

I'll say it again. What raw marks do I need to get in the externals to achieve a band 6 in standard English?

Hermes1

Banned
HSC
This still doesn't answer the question...

I'll say it again. What raw marks do I need to get in the externals to achieve a band 6 in standard English?
mate i looked everywhere and cant seem to find it. so i think it is just determined by what the 64th ranked person in the state gets.
so if the 64th highest mark in the state this year is 95/105, then anyone above this will get a band 6.

Ivy Mike

HSC
u realise that only a small minority of ppl on here actually do standard
most do advanced and above
however I haven't been able to turn up much as most of the people who have posted their raw marks in the past did adv.
Why don’t you?

I reckon 97%+
So, let me get this straight. In the HSC, only the individuals who lose 3 errors or less throughout the entire paper get a band 6? That sounds like BS, hence why I’m assuming he was not talking about the externals.

mate i looked everywhere and cant seem to find it. so i think it is just determined by what the 64th ranked person in the state gets.
so if the 64th highest mark in the state this year is 95/105, then anyone above this will get a band 6.
Thanks man, I appreciate your effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)