Raw Marks Thread (2 Viewers)

Dr Hu

HSC
I like the exponential alignment of economics.
87 raw = 92 exam mark
94 raw = 96 exam mark

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
93/100 raw examination --> 95/100 examination mark (aligned) for Business Studies.

Not sure if I'm miscalculating my total but full raw total was 93.5/100 but got rounded down (I assume aligning for the OPTIONS for the last section had affected this). Doesn't matter too much though :haha: since I had an assessment mark of 96/100 so HSC mark was 96/100 (95/96 split and 96/96 split would still be the same HSC mark so yay).

braintic

HSC
N/A
93/100 raw examination --> 95/100 examination mark (aligned) for Business Studies.

Not sure if I'm miscalculating my total but full raw total was 93.5/100 but got rounded down (I assume aligning for the OPTIONS for the last section had affected this). Doesn't matter too much though :haha: since I had an assessment mark of 96/100 so HSC mark was 96/100 (95/96 split and 96/96 split would still be the same HSC mark so yay).
The HSC mark would be different in your two scenarios since it is recorded to (I don't know how many) decimal places. So it does have the potential to affect your ATAR.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
The HSC mark would be different in your two scenarios since it is recorded to (I don't know how many) decimal places. So it does have the potential to affect your ATAR.
I guess but if there's a problem, HSC results check should have noticed it.

Not sure if there'd be a massive difference anyways - probs a very small difference in the end.

I'll assume they rounded it down for some particular reason. :haha:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I like the exponential alignment of economics.
87 raw = 92 exam mark
94 raw = 96 exam mark
100 raw = 100 exam mark

Seems fairly linear to me.

Doesn't matter too much though :haha: since I had an assessment mark of 96/100 so HSC mark was 96/100 (95/96 split and 96/96 split would still be the same HSC mark so yay).
Matters for your ATAR in a very slight way.

study1234

HSC

It can actually matter. I did the same subjects as my friend, and either beat or equaled him in all our HSC marks. But he got a higher ATAR than me. So when I called up UAC (and waited like 10 minutes), they said that BOS gives them the HSC marks to decimal places, not just to the nearest integer like they give us. So yes, every single mark does count, however slightly.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Seems fairly linear to me.

Matters for your ATAR in a very slight way.
It can actually matter. I did the same subjects as my friend, and either beat or equaled him in all our HSC marks. But he got a higher ATAR than me. So when I called up UAC (and waited like 10 minutes), they said that BOS gives them the HSC marks to decimal places, not just to the nearest integer like they give us. So yes, every single mark does count, however slightly.
Well, not sure what 99.40 would do at this point if it somehow did affect my ATAR :haha:

But yeah, not sure if this rounding down scenario is unusual.

study1234

HSC
Well, not sure what 99.40 would do at this point if it somehow did affect my ATAR :haha:

But yeah, not sure if this rounding down scenario is unusual.
Do you think I should call up UAC to investigate it further? I beat him in 2 subjects (by 1 mark in Adv. English and 2 marks in MX2), and same marks in MX1, Chemistry and Physics. I must admit it still seems pretty dodgy to me, even with the slight rounding, because I got a LOWER atar, not an equal one.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you think I should call up UAC to investigate it further? I beat him in 2 subjects (by 1 mark in Adv. English and 2 marks in MX2), and same marks in MX1, Chemistry and Physics. I must admit it still seems pretty dodgy to me, even with the slight rounding, because I got a LOWER atar, not an equal one.
Apparently people have been getting calls out of nowhere - where they got notified that their ATAR has been increased (and they didn't even request for a mark check/change or anything).

If you think it's worth it, call them up to see.

Dr Hu

HSC
Wow, you see an exponential alignment from two data points. That's pretty impressive.
And you tutor maths?
Please do not mock my third eye. It is right roughly half of the time.
Grammar Maths Nazis.

Last edited:

Randox

HSC
N/A
Must be so hard to get state rank for Eco.... You probably need like 96/97 raw.

D94

HSC
N/A
Apparently people have been getting calls out of nowhere - where they got notified that their ATAR has been increased (and they didn't even request for a mark check/change or anything).

If you think it's worth it, call them up to see.
That's because if someone else's mark changes (so obviously at least 1 person has to request a clerical check), it has the potential to affect other student's assessment marks and subsequently, their ATAR.

D94

HSC
N/A
How do you mean by "same marks"? Do you mean your assessment and exam mark reads the same?

BOS sends UAC your raw HSC mark, which is a combination of your raw HSC exam mark and your moderated assessment mark before aligning. So your reported mark is not even the mark that gets sent to UAC, it is some other mark which you cannot determine because you don't know how different your moderated assessment marks are. If your friend was ranked higher than you in MX1, Chem and Phys, then they will have a higher moderated assessment mark to the decimal no matter what, unless every student in the cohort got the same HSC exam mark.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
That's because if someone else's mark changes (so obviously at least 1 person has to request a clerical check), it has the potential to affect other student's assessment marks and subsequently, their ATAR.
Hey D94, for my previous inquiry:

''93/100 raw examination --> 95/100 examination mark (aligned) for Business Studies.

Not sure if I'm miscalculating my total but full raw total was 93.5/100 but got rounded down (I assume aligning for the OPTIONS for the last section had affected this)''

Do you think its due to options aligning? (I got 17.5/20 for the very last section where you could choose an essay question)

Cause I don't think BoS can make such an error after results check (which checks if they tallied everything up correctly)?

D94

HSC
N/A
Hey D94, for my previous inquiry:

''93/100 raw examination --> 95/100 examination mark (aligned) for Business Studies.

Not sure if I'm miscalculating my total but full raw total was 93.5/100 but got rounded down (I assume aligning for the OPTIONS for the last section had affected this)''

Do you think its due to options aligning? (I got 17.5/20 for the very last section where you could choose an essay question)

Cause I don't think BoS can make such an error after results check (which checks if they tallied everything up correctly)?
It does seem like it's a case of option scaling, but I cannot say with absolute certainty. It would seem more likely that it is due to option scaling than BOS making an error in the clerical check.

As obvious as this may seem, maybe a phone call to BOS will confirm your suspicions - maybe there's a number on the document you received?

gwilymprice

HSC
If you get a results check do the raw marks get included or are they both separate? Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)