• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Reading time (2 Viewers)

Roy216

HSC
Hey guys,

With paper 1 starting tomorrow for many of us, I'd just like to know what do you do in your 5 mins reading time for English?

Personally I'll just take a look at the creative and essay question and do a quick plan.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Just wondering, are you aloud to highlight in reading time? Some people say you can and some people say you can't :(

deswa1

HSC
Just wondering, are you aloud to highlight in reading time? Some people say you can and some people say you can't :(
No. You can't annotate your paper in any way. And I think for belonging OP, the reading time is 10 minutes from memory

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Take a look at the essay question/creative - if expected or simple, then super, if not, think about it while you're doing S1 (and do a quick written 1-2 minute plan later), it will probably give you some ideas. - Preferable that you do this during the 'check you have page 1, page 2, page 3 etc.' stage if your school has one of those.

Spend the next 8 or so minutes reading the comprehension texts and pick out key ideas. Skim the questions before you read the texts so you know generally what concepts of belonging you're looking for. Do a second reading of all texts if possible, whilst thinking directly this time about how to answer the questions.

Roy216

HSC
Yeah I think a friend of mine told me that earlier I just wasn't sure

Alkanes

HSC
Personally for me, I flick through the paper quickly and first thing look at the essay question - do a quick plan in my mind. Then look at the creative, think about how I could adapt my creative to the question. Finally for the remaining time, I read the questions for the comprehension so I know what to look for when reading the texts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)