Reason for James Ruse 1st in State and why is it not happening in other states? (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
Well to say the least on the above note it is true that they don't offer English standard

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
Pretty bad tbh. Like half the kids were like hypercompetitive asians, there were a lot of weird kids
Most people were fairly smart though, if very narrow minded. If I'm honest (don't get offended ahaha) a lot of the kids were kind of like eyeseeyou

Although to be fair, it was a better primary than the one I'd been going to before, so it was kinda worth it in the sense that my original primary was very like, uhm wild. I was fine with that but tbh I was also probably getting involved with some people I shouldn't have been - two of my previous friends have been to juvenile detention multiple times

I got I think 238 for OC, but then 209 for selective (not 100% on numbers but thereabouts)
thats pree good lol..so did u choose to go to an selective school?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
James Ruse has a very controlled environment. ie. compulsory subjects, restricted subjects, pressure from very early on. And this on top of ONLY taking the best the best coupled with obvious pressure from family irrefutably will render James Ruse consistently coming first.
Don't forget all the accelerated year 11's doing PE, Music, Drama, etc., competing against the year 12's and getting high ranks.

bobmyself

HSC
Well to say the least on the above note it is true that they don't offer English standard
True. Letting people do standard would probably lower their b6/e4 percentages.

Also, with the huge emphasis on scaling at top schools I'd imagine that Ruse would find a hard time getting a class together for standard. I go to a top 5 school and we currently have (prelim) 1 class doing solely advanced english, everyone else takes ext1.

Even bigger difference with maths, only 12 people taking solely 2u, 152 take ext1 along with it.

D94

HSC
N/A
Look around and think of other selective schools because they've got a similar principle to James Ruse
James Ruse select the cream of the crop. Im sure I could turn Sydney FC into the world's best soccer team if I had the money and pull to attract names like Messi, Neymar, Bale, Ronaldo etc.
James Ruse has a very controlled environment. ie. compulsory subjects, restricted subjects, pressure from very early on. And this on top of ONLY taking the best the best coupled with obvious pressure from family irrefutably will render James Ruse consistently coming first.
Don't forget all the accelerated year 11's doing PE, Music, Drama, etc., competing against the year 12's and getting high ranks.
Lol to all above. Your responses have no value without looking at what occurs in other states, not schools. Whatever is happening at James Ruse is completely mutually exclusive of what occurs in other states.

To answer the question, using Victoria as an example. The calculation used in Victoria is different to NSW. For the VCE, a score of 40+ (as used in the calculations on that website) reflects achievements in the top 9% of that study. In NSW, a Band 6 or E4 could range anywhere between the top 1% to the top 100%. They are simply not comparing the same thing.

Most importantly, especially for NSW, these are unofficial school ranks. Whilst we might instinctively know James Ruse has the most highest achieving students, the Board of Studies will never acknowledge this as a school achievement, but rather individual achievements of the students (and rightly so).

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Pretty bad tbh. Like half the kids were like hypercompetitive asians, there were a lot of weird kids
Most people were fairly smart though, if very narrow minded. If I'm honest (don't get offended ahaha) a lot of the kids were kind of like eyeseeyou

Although to be fair, it was a better primary than the one I'd been going to before, so it was kinda worth it in the sense that my original primary was very like, uhm wild. I was fine with that but tbh I was also probably getting involved with some people I shouldn't have been - two of my previous friends have been to juvenile detention multiple times

I got I think 238 for OC, but then 209 for selective (not 100% on numbers but thereabouts)
That's actually pretty good. You could've gotten into Fort Street but don't remeber the exact score in order to get into Fort Street. I think it was 214

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Isn't this with other schools as well (such as Sydney Boys)?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Don't know if Ruse accelerates in those subjects but I think they accelerate agriculture. They should introduce accelerated maths, accelerated chemistry and accelerated economics

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Why did you do that for? It seems to be a "waste of a selective test"
Well, I felt that I'd kinda bombed the selective test relative to my actual ability

So I applied for a better school with an exam, was first reserve lel (everyone was put on a reserve list)

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Well, I felt that I'd kinda bombed the selective test relative to my actual ability

So I applied for a better school with an exam, was first reserve lel (everyone was put on a reserve list)
Okay fair enough

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Only compulsory subject is advanced english... as with any other selective school. The school is currently actively trying to push students to do subjects outside the "norm" such as VA, Drama, History etc (none of which scale particularly well)

Ruse only accelerates PE, SDD and IPT (done in year 10), and Agriculture (and music only in very very very exceptional circumstances), which is comparable to most selective and private schools.

Don't know if Ruse accelerates in those subjects but I think they accelerate agriculture. They should introduce accelerated maths, accelerated chemistry and accelerated economics
The feeling I got from the maths department was that they would rather burn in hell before letting people accelerate LOL

To answer OP, most people here have the right idea - it's a self perpetuating cycle. You get the best students through an exam, you get the best results in an exam. Ruse ranks students since year 7 so competition is kind of ingrained into the school culture, and by year 12 you honestly get so used to the pressure lmao

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Only compulsory subject is advanced english... as with any other selective school. The school is currently actively trying to push students to do subjects outside the "norm" such as VA, Drama, History etc (none of which scale particularly well)

Ruse only accelerates PE, SDD and IPT (done in year 10), and Agriculture (and music only in very very very exceptional circumstances), which is comparable to most selective and private schools.

The feeling I got from the maths department was that they would rather burn in hell before letting people accelerate LOL

To answer OP, most people here have the right idea - it's a self perpetuating cycle. You get the best students through an exam, you get the best results in an exam. Ruse ranks students since year 7 so competition is kind of ingrained into the school culture, and by year 12 you honestly get so used to the pressure lmao
Jesus Christ lmao ...

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC

:lol: :lol: :lol:
why though, like from the ruse kids I know, quite a few could easily accelerate 3u

yea my school ranks from yr9 i think

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Why? I think they need to look at the circumstances of other selective schools as well such as baulko, girra, sydney boys/girls, north sydney boys/girls, st george girls, Fort street, hurlstone etc

lol why? Once again the need to look at other circumstances of other selective schools. I know schools like Fort street, Sydney boys/girls and penrith have accelerated maths and a tonne of other accelerated subjects

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Why? I think they need to look at the circumstances of other selective schools as well such as baulko, girra, sydney boys/girls, north sydney boys/girls, st george girls, Fort street, hurlstone etc

lol why? Once again the need to look at other circumstances of other selective schools. I know schools like Fort street, Sydney boys/girls and penrith have accelerated maths and a tonne of other accelerated subjects

lel i used to go to penrith
was like rank 78/85 for accelerated test
rip wasn't allowed to accelerate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)