Recalculating UAI (1 Viewer)

slinky_cumquat

Geriatric
HSC
UAI's r te sh*ttiest things ever, they make no sense and are no evidence of tou HSC results it seems... i hate them.

i still got an OK UAI.. but its a little under the cutoffs for the courses i want. such a stressful month this shall be..

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
madabtu said:
aw thanks for your help,

man im so pissed off ..

i had a few high band 5s ..

i ended up wif a uai of 77.90

my subs were
eng adv-86
legal-88
maths-81
retail-87
modern history-78

i was hoping to hit 80
Looks to me as if you really did get f'ed over. Having said that what is 'retail'?

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
7th Sign said:
give it up...

i got high 80s and 70s and my uai is 61.50

if you go to a shit school and you do low scaleing subs you can not expect to get a MADDDDDDDD mark...
But s/he has got relatively high scaling subjects! (except retailing)...

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
2004 UAI: 86.00
2003 UAI: 88.95
2002 UAI: 90.30
2001 UAI: 93.25

I'm guessing one of those subjects starts to seriously get scaled down this year. Maybe all of them. Everyone's marks are on the rise, you know.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
helper said:
Schools have nothing to do with scaling.
exactly. man, no one except 'helper' has any idea at all. the school you go to only affects your assessment marks. so with your final marks being in the high band 5 area already, the school has nothing to do with the calculation of the UAI.

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
i dont get the uai system either.
i mean, my marks were:
eng adv: 90
eng ext 1: 45/50
pe: 93
sor 2U: 93
music: 91
mathematics: 75

ok, so maths wasnt so great, and maybe pe and music dont scale that well, but..

i got 95.10, not that im not absolutely THRILLED with that mark, it's weird that people who got one band six got a higher or slightly the same uai as me when i got 5. i guess it's just the subjects that you do that make the difference.

but i do think you were ripped off majorly! a careers guy told me that if you average band five you should get in the 80's, and you certainly averaged band 5!

arooshika...

HSC
7th Sign said:
give it up...

if you go to a shit school and you do low scaleing subs you can not expect to get a MADDDDDDDD mark...
i dont think its really on the schools cause i got a crappy uai and my school had about 101 kids who got 90+ for their uai

kido525

HSC
madabtu said:
aw thanks for your help,

man im so pissed off ..

i had a few high band 5s ..

i ended up wif a uai of 77.90

my subs were
eng adv-86
legal-88
maths-81
retail-87
modern history-78

i was hoping to hit 80

Subjects selections u had were low scaling subjects like retail and legal that might have screwed u over , if u got those marks in physics and chemistry u would be getting in high 80s

kido525

HSC
7th Sign said:
give it up...

LOL what madd do u mean

barthez

HSC
alot of ppl at my school got 70s and 80s in the exams and got low 50 UAIs...

im wondering why they used 2 units from my worst subject chemistry instead of taking one unit from religion and 1 from chemistry....i got a 37/50 for religion and a 63 for chemistry ( yes i never liked chemistry)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Ok, you idiots.

RELIGION IS THE WORST BLOODY SCALING SUBJECT EVER.

End rant.

The UAI is a rank, the way HSC marks are scaled at UAC is against your state cohort. If you do dumb subjects, you'll get crap scaling. Hence why chem has SIGNIFICANTLY better scaling than RE.

It's so simple. Nearly as simple as at least one of the groups of order 60.

barthez

HSC
ok fuckwit....according to SAM...which i dont take too seriously.....i would of got 1 unit from RE and one from chemistry last year...so i thought i would ask the question....just because u got a 99.75 no need to think your king shit around here and shoot people down....wake up to yourself

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
barthez said:
alot of ppl at my school got 70s and 80s in the exams and got low 50 UAIs...

im wondering why they used 2 units from my worst subject chemistry instead of taking one unit from religion and 1 from chemistry....i got a 37/50 for religion and a 63 for chemistry ( yes i never liked chemistry)
because 63 for chemistry > 74 for religion (obviously I converted mark to /100 to make them comparable.

plain and simple. chemistry scales astronomically higher than religion, especially 1 unit religion.

TimmyDD

HSC
The school you go to doesnt, but ur position within that school does. The BOS will NEVER scale you higher than someone with a higher rank than you.

freaked

HSC
TimmyDD said:
The school you go to doesnt, but ur position within that school does. The BOS will NEVER scale you higher than someone with a higher rank than you.
How do you mean the BOS will never scale someone higher than a student with a higher rank?
I kicked ass and beat the person who was ranked #1 at our school (mind you for that subject it was a 'teachers pet' thing that put this person in 1st position and me in second.

madabtu

HSC
i was talking to my cousin yesterday about papers being remarked

and he said they can mark you down,

is that correct?

TimmyDD

HSC
i dont mean u cant beat them overall...the scaling which u receive is lower than what they receive...in other words u kicked their ass to beat them overall in the hsc even tho they may have been ranked higher than you.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
One thing that no-one has mentioned is that the vast majority of students will receive marks between 50 and 100 for each subject (with about 1.5% getting less than 50 at most).

However the UAI uses the full scale from 0 - 100 (with the bottom 30 given to the students in your cohort who have already left school - they don't actually get a UAI but it is assumed that they would have taken those positions which is why they left - very simplistic in my experience but ...).

As a result marks in the low to mid and even high 80s would give a UAI in the high 70s. With Retail in the list of subjects as well then you are talking of a subject that will also pull down the UAI considerably.

The careers advisers at my school tells kids to average their marks and then if they are in the 90s take off 5 marks, in the 80s 7 marks, in the 70s 11 marks, in the 60s 15 marks and in the 50s 20 marks to get a rough UAI. She is not too wide of the mark generally.

The UAI is done by Sydney Uni and it uses the system in place since the mid-80s - ranking each student against the other students who did the same subjects and weighting the subjects compared to the marks gained by all the students who did that subject in all their subjects. It is very complicated and the book with the formula in it goes into the 100s of pages according to the Deputy Principal at my school - who attempted to read the formula once and gave up after about 150 pages.

freaked

HSC
madabtu said:
i was talking to my cousin yesterday about papers being remarked

and he said they can mark you down,

is that correct?
No. I have called the HSC help line and they confirmed that no marks will be deducted. If you pay for rechecking you will either keep your marks as is or recieve higher marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)