reckon ruse will come top again this year? (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by pranks85
Well, as a Ruse student, let me just correct some misunderstandings. Firstly, Ruse people are not all nerds. Secondly, Ruse people are not geniuses. The only thing any different about our school & anyone else's is that students here are able to focus on the HSC itself better than anyone else. Not that that's a good thing - I personally happen to think it sux. I mean, even if you want to be purely academic, there's stuff to learn outside the HSC, something I don't think many people here seem to get. That's the only thing we've got going for us, and I think it's a pretty sad reflection on the HSC that an attitude like that should be allowed to succeed.
But is not the root of your complaints the sole reason you chose James Ruse on your selective school application - that you wanted to do well in the HSC and you didn't mind messing it with the heavyweights? Although I don't want to kill to get in your school anymore (because I had that mentality before), I still think that its elite academic achievement is a great thing - it sets the standard for everyone else. Although I'm not exactly saying GO RUSE! (if I say that all my friends will kick me), I hope you guys do well.

krissy7685

Ruse arent that intelligent

I didnt go to ruse and thank godd for that
i agree with SPX... hes so right in saying their environement is totally different to ones like ours..

We are all equally intelligent if we put the work in.. but hey people that get so evolved in schoolwork are such social outcasts sometimes because they dont know how to associate wiht people and they didnt enjoy their high school years..

i personally wouldnt recommend anyone to go to Ruse..
i think firstly its full of people that parents push them and the majority of people are indian/chinese... the minority are aussies...

and these indian chinese people are used to their parents pushing them to work......

but guys if u all work we can do better than ruse... they are only good academics...
they arent sporty or musical which is sometimes the better talent to have...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Re: Ruse arent that intelligent

Originally posted by krissy7685
We are all equally intelligent if we put the work in.. but hey people that get so evolved in schoolwork are such social outcasts sometimes because they dont know how to associate wiht people and they didnt enjoy their high school years..

i think firstly its full of people that parents push them and the majority of people are indian/chinese... the minority are aussies...

and these indian chinese people are used to their parents pushing them to work......

but guys if u all work we can do better than ruse... they are only good academics...
A lil bit racial generalisation, dun you think krissy?

Anyway, it's not about parents anymore... when you get to year 12, there's momentum to work harder... momentum fueled by the barrage of assessments, the competition between ppl ranked above and below you... it's about doing it for yourself, as they say.

And I agree, if everyone works harder, we can leap-frog Ruse (that's a bloody truism btw), but in all honesty, which school will?

Last edited:

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
*sigh....

could ppl just stop hacking out ruse hehe...
it's just a school...

a lil different to other schools yes.. maybe a bit smarter...
but not everyon'es academically obsessed or pushed by their parents...

spice girl

magic mirror

You've gotten yourself into a contradiction here. You've implied that intelligence comes from hard work, but you've said that ppl who try hard at skoolwork are social outcasts. Do you mean to say that intelligent people are social outcasts? Then what do you mean when you say that "we are all equally intelligent"? :rolleyes: *sigh*

i agree with SPX... hes so right in saying their environement is totally different to ones like ours..
Of course you do. You've got the same mindset as SPX. Why bother getting a different nickname?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad

c'mon.....
Ruse is pretty competitve at the CHS athletics carnival I recall, winning a few 4x100m relays
it isnt just full of 'nerds'...I happen to know ppl from Ruse, and they dont wear thick glassess and go around reciting encyclopaedia's...they are simply a small collection of the brightest students in the state

^___^
HSC
i know a kid from James Ruse, very good tennis player and pretty sporty...and i asked him bout other kids in the school...he told me this funny story how he saw on of the Ruse kid masturbating behind the train toilets...

so, dun think all James Ruse kids are freaks or aliens...

pranks85

Firstly, as much as we'd like to believe it, we're not equally intelligent. I'm not saying that the Ruse kids are neccessarily more intelligent than every other - or even the majority of other - students in Sydney's schools. However, to pretend we all have the same capabilities and the same talent is akin to pretending we're all the same height and weight. It's not true, and it's useless - not to mention blind - to insist it is. Secondly, the only person you have the right to say that in relation to is yourself. I won't deny that there are people at Ruse who just have no social skills and no understanding of the world around them. But I know people like that from more schools than just Ruse. I know people who are so caught up in sport, for example, that they're more interested in who's playing in the NRL this weekend than what's happening in the Australian government. Whatever, that's their choice. But by placing any one pursuit above another, you automatically forfeit the right to condemn anyone else for it. And having obviously failed to understand of the mechanisms behind the way a school like Ruse develops and functions, you've forfeited the right to pass judgement upon it.

A phenomenon I think you'll find occuring in most of the state's "top" schools (in relation to HSC marks, anyway). You know, we have a word for generalisations with little or no evidence to support them. They're usually termed "false". For the record, most Ruse kids take the pressure upon themselves.

Racial generalisations - or generalisations of any kind - are generally not a good way to go. They're far too easy to attack, and most are clearly inaccurate. And given the fact that you've just made a blanket statement about 1/3 of the world's population, I won't even bother.
I agree, if everyone out there worked - or at least gave the markers what they wanted - to the best of their ability, a lot of people would probably kick most Ruse kids. And at times, yes, sporting talent or musical talent is better to have than academic excellence. A cricket field, for example, or onstage in the middle of a musical. But let's not lose sight of the fact that Ruse - along with your school - is first and foremost, an academic institution. And while I certainly won't defend the narrow-minded, marks-orientated view that Ruse, along with other schools, displays, when it comes to a choice between sport, music, or anything else, and education, while the former may be better in another cirumstance, in a school, education should always win out.

is a roflcopter
HSC
fuck it we're gona beat them this year skunk! :D

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I believe there are only slight variations in 'intelligence' among most students.

What allows James Ruse to remain the undisputed pinnacle of academic excellence in NSW is the culture which embodies the school. They have a culture of learning and achieving academic excellence, a large proportion of which is already imbedded within them when they sat the selective schools test.

I recently had a chat with a James Ruse student and she said stuff like "oh, chemistry is fun", "maths is interesting" and she was one of the top 5 in JR. Of course, there are still those in JR who have to push themselves to keep in touch with the rest of the pack but the top students actually discovered (or rediscovered, or always has) how to ENJOY LEARNING. They still compete with each other, although I believe many actually enjoy (or at least not hate) absorbing the wealth of information within and outside of the NSW BOS syllabuses.

In primary school I enjoyed learning, I kinda enjoyed learning in year 7 but from then on learning became something which I was forced to do. I still enjoyed some subjects but lost interest in most others. Result: At year 12 I'm cramming for virtually everything, (although I still find physics kinda interesting).

I go to a selective school which also has a culture, but it's a culture of competition rather than a culture of learning and we forget a large part of what we studied right after the exams.

spice girl

magic mirror
ohh...but competition is one of the key reasons to enjoy learning. Learning is 'fun' when you learn something someone else doesn't know yet. Learning something that everyone knows is called 'catching up'.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i disagree, competition, especially trying to "beat" someone is sometimes the best, or the most efficient form of motivation one has, even if most dont admit it :D

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by Cyph
That is a fucked-up mentality, sorry.

There will always be someone who knows more than you, so you're self-worth and esteem will constantly be degraded as you make futile attempts to compare yourself to everyone else constantly falling short.

Measuring progress against others of your own learning is fine and is the way it should be done IMO, that way you'll reach your full potential.
woot? your argument is somewhat deficient here. imean, wot's the difference between 'competition' and 'Measuring progress against others of your own learning'?

you can only have lowering self-esteem if you have expectations and you don't meet it.

i think you're confused between the conceptual difference between 'someone' and 'everyone'. just because 'someone' knows more than you, doesn't mean 'everyone' knows more than you.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
imho opinion you're both really saying the same thing - that we should set achievable and realistic competitive goals for ourselves.

is a roflcopter
HSC
how do you measure progress against other people without competing? :confused:

pranks85

Originally posted by Suvat
I believe there are only slight variations in 'intelligence' among most students.

What allows James Ruse to remain the undisputed pinnacle of academic excellence in NSW is the culture which embodies the school. They have a culture of learning and achieving academic excellence, a large proportion of which is already imbedded within them when they sat the selective schools test.

I recently had a chat with a James Ruse student and she said stuff like "oh, chemistry is fun", "maths is interesting" and she was one of the top 5 in JR. Of course, there are still those in JR who have to push themselves to keep in touch with the rest of the pack but the top students actually discovered (or rediscovered, or always has) how to ENJOY LEARNING. They still compete with each other, although I believe many actually enjoy (or at least not hate) absorbing the wealth of information within and outside of the NSW BOS syllabuses.
You gotta tell me who these people are! I must meet them!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)