Recommend me a Camera. (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Budget 1-1.5k

First time purchasing an really good camera (but have used good quality camera's in the past)

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
What kinda experience do you have with manual and what not? Do you have a specific form factor you prefer? Do you want just JPG or do you want raw?

astroman

HSC
with that budget your easily in the midst of entering full frame cameras. If you want a dslr get a Nikon d610 or Canon 6d, it's personal preference but i would go for the nikon coz im a fanboy.

If you want something lighter and still fullframe look into sony a7

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Budget 1-1.5k

First time purchasing an really good camera (but have used good quality camera's in the past)
You mean dslr?

Why do you want a really good camera? An 800 dollar one is fine ..

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
with that budget your easily in the midst of entering full frame cameras. If you want a dslr get a Nikon d610 or Canon 6d, it's personal preference but i would go for the nikon coz im a fanboy.

Just curious, with 1.5k what lens do you propose they get if they got a FF ?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
What's a camera that will make every picture look awesome? E.g. really good automatic setting.
No camera will do that

You have to learn how to use any camera and find your own perspective before pictures will look good

Don't do yourself a disservice by using auto :p

astroman

HSC
Just curious, with 1.5k what lens do you propose they get if they got a FF ?
i would recommend a 50mm 1.8 prime as it's the only decent lens i can think of that will suit OP's budget and recommend a bigger investment down the road to something like a tamron 24-70 if they want a zoom all round lens.

What's a camera that will make every picture look awesome? E.g. really good automatic setting.
a6000 handsdown

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A
i would recommend a 50mm 1.8 prime as it's the only decent lens i can think of that will suit OP's budget and recommend a bigger investment down the road to something like a tamron 24-70 if they want a zoom all round lens.
I don't think that's wise at all. He should probably get a DX camera and get a good lens. As they say, camera bodies are outdated every 2 years, lenses last forever. No point in getting a FF and being stuck with a 50mm 1.8 for god knows how long. Plus, the user won't be able to experience other focal lengths to see what he actually likes shooting.

Glass > Body. Its easy to get sucked into the body game but glass will always have the biggest impact.

astroman

HSC
I don't think that's wise at all. He should probably get a DX camera and get a good lens. As they say, camera bodies are outdated every 2 years, lenses last forever. No point in getting a FF and being stuck with a 50mm 1.8 for god knows how long. Plus, the user won't be able to experience other focal lengths to see what he actually likes shooting.

Glass > Body. Its easy to get sucked into the body game but glass will always have the biggest impact.
i agree with you but once again, OP's definition of 'really good camera' may be different to your's and mine. If i were him, i would get a d7100 with a tokina 11-16mm and a 35mm f1.8 with accessories such as filters and a tripod.

astroman

HSC
also OP could possibly find a sony a7 ff mirrorless with kit 28-70 for around $1.5k but a dslr would be a better long term investment.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
i agree with you but once again, OP's definition of 'really good camera' may be different to your's and mine. If i were him, i would get a d7100 with a tokina 11-16mm and a 35mm f1.8 with accessories such as filters and a tripod.

I was thinking maybe getting a canon 70d but then again d7100 sounds pretty good.

Going to play with cameras in stores next week sometime.

turntaker

HSC
My recommendation is to invest in a good lens rather than a very good camera.
You can get better images with good lenses.

Have a look at sony cameras if its just a hobby.

astroman

HSC
I was thinking maybe getting a canon 70d but then again d7100 sounds pretty good.

Going to play with cameras in stores next week sometime.
i'm not keen on starting a fanboy war between nikon and canon but i believe that the nikon d7100 is the best crop body dslr available on the market. But it's up to you and lens choice will play a big choice in what you purchase. Also, what are your insights into mirrorless?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
i'm not keen on starting a fanboy war between nikon and canon but i believe that the nikon d7100 is the best crop body dslr available on the market. But it's up to you and lens choice will play a big choice in what you purchase. Also, what are your insights into mirrorless?
Yeah nikon is probably better value then canon but I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to 'judge'.

I think I'll probably edge towards DSLR because there seems to be more opportunity to upgrade further if I become better in the foreseeable future.

astroman

HSC
Yeah nikon is probably better value then canon but I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to 'judge'.

I think I'll probably edge towards DSLR because there seems to be more opportunity to upgrade further if I become better in the foreseeable future.
yes i agree with you, dslr is much more versatile, and has lots of benefits over a mirrorless. But would you think about getting a full frame dslr? Say a nikon d610? for around ~1.4k? You would be very stuck on lenses with your set budget but if you can stretch it a bit you could manage to get some decent glass to work with. If you prefer crop dslr it will cause you to multiply your focal length and aperture by 1.5 so basically your losing performance and choice since lenses are written as they would be put on a 35mm camera.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
OP i'd recommend a mid range crop sensor DSLR like a 70D. Just start off with the 18-55 kit lens because you won't have a clear idea of what you'll like to shoot most. Over time you will work this out and you can buy a good lens tailored to this area, don't fall into the trap of buying those cheap crappy telephotos like a 70-300 f5.6.

You also need to factor in a tripod, class 10 SD card (a must for video or continuous shooting), bag and cleaning kit. This can all add up to another few hundred so i wouldn't be spending more than $1200 on a body and lens package.

You will not get a new 6D with a decent lens for 1.5k. Also, i wouldn't bother buying a full frame if you were limited to just a 50mm, i've been there and done that and as a general purpose it is really limiting. The OP wants to spend 1.5k, a decent general purpose for a full frame is another $700 + on top

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
You mean dslr?

Why do you want a really good camera? An 800 dollar one is fine ..
I can tell you several reasons why this isn't the case. This is assuming you mean a camera + lens.

My comments will change if you mean an $800 body with some high quality glass. I've got some stunners with my old 1000d with the 70-200L on it.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
OP i'd recommend a mid range crop sensor DSLR like a 70D. Just start off with the 18-55 kit lens because you won't have a clear idea of what you'll like to shoot most. Over time you will work this out and you can buy a good lens tailored to this area, don't fall into the trap of buying those cheap crappy telephotos like a 70-300 f5.6.

You also need to factor in a tripod, class 10 SD card (a must for video or continuous shooting), bag and cleaning kit. This can all add up to another few hundred so i wouldn't be spending more than $1200 on a body and lens package.
The EOS 70D was the first was I really thought about buying initially so glad to hear that you think its worth purchasing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)