Recommendations as to whether a laptop is beneficial (1 Viewer)

csv

HSC
As the title explains, I'm just curious whether having a laptop handy would be beneficial for studies in Electrical/Telecommunications Engineering. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

HSC
N/A
As the title explains, I'm just curious whether having a laptop handy would be beneficial for studies in Electrical/Telecommunications Engineering. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
not really that much use.

I am a second yr electrical engineering student and a laptop will not do much at uni. There are plenty of places around the uni you go to to get a computer if you need one at uni , theres the physics study room, the red centre with the maths computers and the school of electrical eng/ telecomm has a computer room specifically for students of the school.

Engineering is very kind of "hands on" topic , you will be usually following lecture notes that the lecturer has ( hopefully) put online before your lectures. For example in maths and to a lesser extent physics you will be going through examples in the lecture and you will have to write down solutions etc. you cannot really do this very easily on a computer ( unless you have maths symbol software and can type it fast )

csv

HSC
not really that much use.

I am a second yr electrical engineering student and a laptop will not do much at uni. There are plenty of places around the uni you go to to get a computer if you need one at uni , theres the physics study room, the red centre with the maths computers and the school of electrical eng/ telecomm has a computer room specifically for students of the school.

Engineering is very kind of "hands on" topic , you will be usually following lecture notes that the lecturer has ( hopefully) put online before your lectures. For example in maths and to a lesser extent physics you will be going through examples in the lecture and you will have to write down solutions etc. you cannot really do this very easily on a computer ( unless you have maths symbol software and can type it fast )
Thank you very much.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Mine was good to piss off my maths lecturer last year
Lecturer: You should turn your laptop off and listen to me
Me: Okay
L: Are you going to turn it off?
Me: No
L: Suit yourself

I had the notes he was writing on the board open on the laptop lol

super.muppy

HSC
ahhhas @OP borrowing your thread ahhhas
what about for engineering/commerce at UNSW ? and also which is better suited for me IPad or Macbook Pro ?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
For engineering - pen and pad. I cannot imagine a situation where laptop > pen+pad for all the engineering courses I've done.

And why are you such a loser to apple marketing? i hate fuckwits who HAVE to say its a 'mac' and not simply 'ipad or laptop'

but i can give you the BEST option which cost less than 10 bucks - pen and pad.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Do not even take your laptop to uni unless you need to finish an assignment on it or something. If you are doing science/engineering, it would be useless most of the time.

miaowsha

HSC
Do not even take your laptop to uni unless you need to finish an assignment on it or something. If you are doing science/engineering, it would be useless most of the time.
What if you do something in science that's... *gasp* not math? :eek:

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Tablet laptops are pretty useful. No messy/heavy paper to deal with. Expensive compared to normal laptop tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)