Recommended hours for work? Recommended Study methods? Balancing school,work & life? (2 Viewers)

daina

HSC
Just wondering do you guys think about the recommended hours one should work in year in 11 and 12. Do you have any recommendations of studying? How can one balance school with work yet having time to do what they want and still being able to score terrific results?

I currently work approx. 13hrs a week (at a Fastfood place) but for the next 3 weeks i work 23hrs.
I dont have any financial difficulties or stuff like that so having a job may not seem necessary. I just work for experience and a bit of pocket money.

Here are my current subjects in which most of them im failing at :(

Software Design and Development: Marks: 19/20
Information Perocess and Technology: Marks: 76/80
Advance English: Marks: 35/55
Mathematics: Marks: 7/50
Chemistry: Marks: 15/50
Economics: Marks: 37/70

Im aiming for a UAI of 90+ but i have to get at least 80 for the course i want to get in at uni. Which by the way is Engineering.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
i fit two two hour shifts of cleaning in my study time table that doesnt really exist. i used to work every day of the week, all through the prelim, but i cut back.

itll progressively get worse as you get into the hsc course. youll find theres not enough hours in the day to get all you want done. i would reccommend no more than 6 a week, because i do four now, and no matter how dedicated i know i am, work throws out any order, regardless of whether you timetable it in or not.

daina

HSC
Well im still in the prelim year should i quit my jobs and study or just wait till the beginning of the hsc and then quit?

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
btw, i make 26.35$ an hour. if your only making 7.50$, while its good practical experience and looks good in a resume, the time it consumes probably isnt worth undertaking through the hsc. ask you parents for 40$ a week of your youth allowance you are applicable for it and they have it.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
daina said:
Well im still in the prelim year should i quit my jobs and study or just wait till the beginning of the hsc and then quit?
prelim sets you up for s swing of the hsc. cut back now, and when you get to hsc year, see how it goes. you have to make it clear to your emplyer your schooling > work.
in about 4 months im taking 4 months leave for exams, schoolies, and other shit. the bonus for me is, i work in a family business, so, leave isnt hard to come by.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you're not in any financial difficulty, then you should quit your jobs - if you want to do well in the HSC.

bettina44

HSC
Re: Recommended hours for work? Recommended Study methods? Balancing school,work & li

my teachers say less than 10 hours a week. if i was in your position i would quit, cause i simply would not cope,but if you're REALLY committed and dedicated i guess you could manage to balance school and work.i used to make a time table and try to follow that,but i always had something on, so used write all my study notes all over my arm and hand ,so i could study while i worked(not the most efficient way of studying).if you can discipline yourself i guess the timetable think could work for you,keep in mind,school first,work second.

daina

HSC
Okay im probably thinking of quiting, although i have no idea what to say and when I should say it.

Do i ring them up or talk to them face to face after my pay day? or should I just do nothing?

Last edited:

selablad

HSC
Is it not possible to just ask to cut back your hours (or find another place where you could do fewer)? Because then you could have the experience and pocket money that you wanted, but you'd still get more time to work on schoolwork?

I don't know, I've never had a job, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, oh well :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I think you should reduce the amount of time you spend on work so that you have more time for your studies.

I feel guilty sometimes. I am too lenient on my parents (financially). I basically spent few thousands dollars on textbooks & everything and I don't even use 20% of the textbooks I bought. I really feel guilty.

However, on the same time, I do not wish to work and even if I work, it will be awkward for me to get paid. I was offered few tutoring work for few subjects, but I ended up helping them with no payment at all (I still do that tutoring twice a week). I just can't go to someone and pay me (it is just too awkward!!) :D :lol: :cold:.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
selablad said:
I don't know, I've never had a job, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, oh well :)
Me neither. I don't think it's worth getting a job now, especially since you're likely to only be payed around $10 per hour. It's just not worth the time which you could use to play COD4 or whatever. Even studying would be a better use of that time.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Our school told us today ( i am in year 12) that we are to do 4 hours of study a night plus weekend study. However last year we were told that we should of been doing three. I know that i do not do 4 hours a night i am lucky if i do 2 but i think i should start doing more. If you are concerned about balancing work and school why dont you only work on weekends and not on school nights. bear in mind however that you are in year 11 that is not as much work as year 12. If you get into good habits with the amount of work that you put in they should continue to year 12 as well.

Last edited:

-tony-

HSC
i work 10-12 hrs a week atm over thursday-sunday (not necessarily all 4 days,thats just my availability)

i think thoe that next yr once the hsc gets closer i may cut bak to just weekends or even ask for some time off till the exams r ova

bored of sc

HSC
-tony- said:
i work 10-12 hrs a week atm over thursday-sunday (not necessarily all 4 days,thats just my availability)

i think thoe that next yr once the hsc gets closer i may cut bak to just weekends or even ask for some time off till the exams r ova
Really?! I am hoping to do more study as the HSC exams get closer.

-tony-

HSC
bored of sc said:
Really?! I am hoping to do more study as the HSC exams get closer.
yea i want to as well

thats y i said i wanna cut bak work to available 2 days or ask for time off

bored of sc

HSC
-tony- said:
yea i want to as well

thats y i said i wanna cut bak work to available 2 days or ask for time off
oh, i thought you meant work as in study, not part-time labour (haha)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
bored of sc said:
oh, i thought you meant work as in study, not part-time labour (haha)
Lol Bored Of Sc :D. Daina, I recommend you do your best in Preliminary and the HSC now. Focus on your study habits in the preliminary year, then work hard on those study habits with diligence during the HSC year. Attain a high UAI, then when you get into your university course, get a part-time job if you wish. If you're not having any financial difficulties, and just working for 'wants', I'd just quit if I were in your shoes.

My 2 cents.

WannaBang?

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
btw, i make 26.35$ an hour. if your only making 7.50$, while its good practical experience and looks good in a resume, the time it consumes probably isnt worth undertaking through the hsc. ask you parents for 40$ a week of your youth allowance you are applicable for it and they have it.
Can I have a job? I'm serious.

HSC
well im doin the hsc this yr... and i work i would suggest to work in ur hsc yr if u can cope as it des mean more money and that means ur not relyin on ur rents all the time.
i work aprox 2- 3 days a week and i still mange to fit in at least 2 hours study a day
and my marks are all in the 80s
so ppl it is possible and u need a life besides studying and work gives u an expreince and the money to give u a life otta school and study

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)