• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides?

Dotpoint for Chemistry is very good. I have it.

vasuu91

HSC
Re: What textbooks are the best?

sikdude said:
The subjects i don for school are
biology, physics, engineering studies, business studies, 3 units maths, 2 unit maths, adv english.

well i just wanted to ask.
-what text books people use for these subjects?
-if any has like the list of the best textbooks for yr 11 and 12, (how helpful are they, what types of question-hard/easy)
-also, like past experiences with textbooks? (wrong answers etc)

Thank. You.
well i can tell u for some of ur subjects:

maths 2u/3u--- cambridge is really good and it has year 11 and 12 stuff. it has different levels but u may find the way their answers are written a bit hard to get around at first. i havent found any faults in it!

business--- business studies in action. u wont need to use anything else with this book coz its the most comprehensive one i know and it has lots of case studies.

bio-- i used the heinemann one in year 11, dont do it anymore. i thought it was quite good!

english-- never used a 'textbook' per se. only the texts and then may be critical readings on it. if ur desperate u could use excel but i dont think theres alot in it.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

Math: Fitzpatric (Good, small), Cambridge (Too many questions, very depressing), S.B Jones and K.E Couchman (Good (the 3U book is small), questions are a bit too easy), Understanding Series (Very good cramming book).

Physics: Jacaranda (good), Macmillan (prelim book is smaller than jacaranda but still good).

Chemistry: Chemistry Pathways (a bit old, but good), Conquering Chem (good, prelim books is smaller than chemistry pathways).

Eco: Excel, Tim Riley. (eco is so dead easy, i can't tell which book is better, but most people think tim riley is better.)

Tsylana

HSC
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides?

If you're one of those people that are doing 3U Maths and want to pick up extension 2... and are studying ahead... I recommend Foundations of Mathematics 4U book, that thing goes to an orgasmic level ^^. It's just awesome if you ask me...

[Though the Harder 3U part of the book is a bit too hard...]

vasuu91

HSC

foram said:
Math: Fitzpatric (Good, small), Cambridge (Too many questions, very depressing), S.B Jones and K.E Couchman (Good (the 3U book is small), questions are a bit too easy), Understanding Series (Very good cramming book).

Physics: Jacaranda (good), Macmillan (prelim book is smaller than jacaranda but still good).

Chemistry: Chemistry Pathways (a bit old, but good), Conquering Chem (good, prelim books is smaller than chemistry pathways).

Eco: Excel, Tim Riley. (eco is so dead easy, i can't tell which book is better, but most people think tim riley is better.)
wtf?? the kid doesnt even do eco!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

I will recommend all the books that Foram suggested (double recommendations!!!) except the Economics books.

For Biology, I will recommend Biozone books as well. Spotlight and Excel are also pretty good for light cramming, reading & revision.

For Mathematics, Excel books are really good. Get them. I doubt you will regret.

Good luck!

cs01001

HSC

vasuu91 said:
wtf?? the kid doesnt even do eco!!
Hmm he does... it says in his signature.

vasuu91

HSC

^^
uhh...no he doesnt!!
sikdude said:
The subjects i don for school are
biology, physics, engineering studies, business studies, 3 units maths, 2 unit maths, adv english.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

vasuu91 said:
^^
uhh...no he doesnt!!
I think cs01001 is referring to Foram who does both Chemistry & Economics. :)

vasuu91

HSC

lyounamu said:
I think cs01001 is referring to Foram who does both Chemistry & Economics. :)
well then cs1001 i was talking about the op coz foram recomended eco books to him.
and thank you lyounamu for pointing that out...what would we ever do without you???

vasuu91

HSC

sikhman said:
really?

i found that just using cambridge has worked so far.....maybe I should expand....
cambridge is definitely one of the best if not the best. but its all about getting a variety of questions which cambridge gives....
but as shortykatt said, the more books and resources u use, the more variety u get, hence u are better prepared!!

Twickel

HSC
I need a good study guide for Bio

The excel was absolutely pathetic, is the Macquarie Revision Guide: Preliminary Biology any better?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: I need a good study guide for Bio

Twickel said:
The excel was absolutely pathetic, is the Macquarie Revision Guide: Preliminary Biology any better?
I mainly use Heinemann Biology textbook and Spotlight book. They are good books to use. I suggest you using them.

By the way, I won't suggest Excel or Macquarie as they tend to leave some pieces out (or only give summarised version of important info).

Twickel

HSC

Excel missed out on the whole chemicals in cells.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Twickel said:
Excel missed out on the whole chemicals in cells.
Yeah. That's my point. It's always or usually good to use textbooks rather than study guides.

Twickel

HSC

How many pages is the spotlight, see the point is I want something less detailed then my current bio book ( bio in focus).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Twickel said:
How many pages is the spotlight, see the point is I want something less detailed then my current bio book ( bio in focus).
It's quite concise. I don't have it here as I left it at school. Sorry. But it's very good for light studies (with maximum results).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

That's weird. Seems like Excel is pretty good for Chemistry and Physics, isn't it?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

try Dotpoint i heard it is good for biology

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)