• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides?

the-derivative said:
They should.
It would make my life a hell of a lot easier.
I think what he means is that they hire other people to write the solutions for them.

bawd

HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
Yeah same here, that's why I got one too. And it's better than checking on BoS because sometimes it's quicker.

On another note, is it just me, or does anybody else find Cambridge's explanations confusing? I honestly prefer Fitz's explanations, they're much simpler to understand and the layout is much better. I don't like Camb's glossy paper either ...
I prefer Fitzpatrick's explanations too as they seem more logical and straightforward. Like I've mentioned somewhere, Cambridge just makes it more difficult for those who do not understand the fundamentals of mathematical linguistics. Too much mathematics jargon obscures the meaning sometimes and it gets muddled up.

Fitzpatrick (and all other Black/White senior textbooks, as a matter of fact) should start printing in colour, IMO. So much more appealing and engaging. I wouldn't mind paying the few extra dollars.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

bawd said:
I prefer Fitzpatrick's explanations too as they seem more logical and straightforward. Like I've mentioned somewhere, Cambridge just makes it more difficult for those who do not understand the fundamentals of mathematical linguistics. Too much mathematics jargon obscures the meaning sometimes and it gets muddled up.

Fitzpatrick (and all other Black/White senior textbooks, as a matter of fact) should start printing in colour, IMO. So much more appealing and engaging. I wouldn't mind paying the few extra dollars.
I wouldn't either, but as I've said before, Fitzpatrick is like an artwork in comparison to Coroneos! But yeah, I would like to see a colour version of Fitzy.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Aplus said:
I think what he means is that they hire other people to write the solutions for them.
Yeah, precisely. If I had spent two years of my life writing a textbook, I wouldn't wanna spend another year doing the solutions. [Hypothetically speaking].

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

bawd said:

Exactly. Cambridge is just too complicated so I usually have to build up my maths foundations before going onto it. But I don't even look at it once I've understood the foundations because they usually screw up my foundations and I end up feeling all confused and hating maths lol.

I don't mind if there's colour or not, because I just see maths as maths. Subjects like Physics need colour!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
Exactly. Cambridge is just too complicated so I usually have to build up my maths foundations before going onto it. But I don't even look at it once I've understood the foundations because they usually screw up my foundations and I end up feeling all confused and hating maths lol.

I don't mind if there's colour or not, because I just see maths as maths. Subjects like Physics need colour!
LOL maybe it's not that you need a colour text book for physics ... it's that you need a proper text book... not just Excel.

Anyway, I need to get myself a copy of Cambridge. So many people using it... I should give it a try.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Jacaranda Physics has colour. :p

Aplus

HSC
N/A

Colour = Distracting

Wassup?

Banned
HSC

People, get the Macquarie revision guides textbook range. They're fucking brilliant.

I've got a copy of Legal Studies, Economics, English and I'm looking to buy the Business Studies copy.

Anybody know anyone who is selling a copy?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

For Physics and Chem, they seem sorta....brief. Too brief.

Aplus

HSC
N/A

Study Guides should be used for revision/review of work. They should not be used for actually attempting to learn the content.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Aplus said:
Study Guides should be used for revision/review of work. They should not be used for actually attempting to learn the content.
Even for revision, I think it's too brief.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Excel, I have to say is shit. But I reckon Macquarie is pretty good. I find it explains stuff much better than my normal textbook actually. Come to think of it... I haven't touched either of my textbooks at all in the past 2 terms...

Aplus

HSC
N/A

Aerath said:
Even for revision, I think it's too brief.
For revision you should have it all in your head :p

Wassup?

Banned
HSC

When revising, notes should be short, concise and straight to the point, because that way you have a higher chance of actually recalling material.

For example, I tried reading my Legal Studies textbook as revision for my trials, only to find out that after reading the last page of the book, I couldn't really recall a thing. After investing in a Macquarie study guide, I know the course inside out.

The things you learn in class + Macquarie revision guide = 100%. :cool:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Wassup? said:
When revising, notes should be short, concise and straight to the point, because that way you have a higher chance of actually recalling material.

For example, I tried reading my Legal Studies textbook as revision for my trials, only to find out that after reading the last page of the book, I couldn't really recall a thing. After investing in a Macquarie study guide, I know the course inside out.

The things you learn in class + Macquarie revision guide = 100%. :cool:
Um...not necessarily.

Notes better be detailed than being concise.

However, different topics require different level of stress. For example, some contents can be better explained when the notes give lots of details whereas some contents are better learnt when they are conscise. But in saying that, Excel and Macquarie did that quite poorly.

bawd

HSC

the-derivative said:
No, colour = more appealing, therefore makes you more likely to look at the book, therefore making you work harder.
QFT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)