Regarding teaching in more than one discipline (1 Viewer)

thomas88

HSC
Hi guys,

A question regarding secondary education. I am seriously considering secondary education and undertaking an additional year of university now that i have completed my undergraduate degree in Commerce. What I would like to know, is there any chance for me to teach more than 1 subject at a high school - ie more than just Business. Besides business/commerce i have always had passion for humanities - especially history. Now i know i should probably have done an arts degree or something similar to do that, but is teaching both history and business in any way possible?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

A question regarding secondary education. I am seriously considering secondary education and undertaking an additional year of university now that i have completed my undergraduate degree in Commerce. What I would like to know, is there any chance for me to teach more than 1 subject at a high school - ie more than just Business. Besides business/commerce i have always had passion for humanities - especially history. Now i know i should probably have done an arts degree or something similar to do that, but is teaching both history and business in any way possible?
A lot will depend on the size of the department in the school where you end up. History can be sometimes in a separate department to other HSIE subjects (it could be a stand-alone department or in with English or with HSIE). At my school all business teachers teach Geography and History without any specific training. From talking to a number of teachers at the recent HTAA Conference in Sydney a number of teachers who teach History don't have the university qualifications to teach it but do so due to falling into it once in schools.

If you really want to teach History though see if you can do a subject or two in History specifically along with the actual teaching of History course.

boris2003

HSC
A lot will depend on the size of the department in the school where you end up. History can be sometimes in a separate department to other HSIE subjects (it could be a stand-alone department or in with English or with HSIE). At my school all business teachers teach Geography and History without any specific training. From talking to a number of teachers at the recent HTAA Conference in Sydney a number of teachers who teach History don't have the university qualifications to teach it but do so due to falling into it once in schools.

If you really want to teach History though see if you can do a subject or two in History specifically along with the actual teaching of History course.
Wow, sounds interesting.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This outlines the requirments for the subjects you will be qualified to teach

http://www.nswteachers.nsw.edu.au/I...condary Teaching NSW (abridged) July 2010.pdf

Being qualified to teach isn't the same thing as what you will teach once in schools e.g. at my place this year we have a Business/Economics teacher 1st year out with one Business class and a lot of junior History and Geography classes. This teacher didn't do any History or Geography at uni or in fact since leaving Year 10.

sarahjos5z1

HSC
N/A
hey your doing a good job. Whatever you feel good to teach go for that subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)