Regional Entry Test (1 Viewer)

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by user

er...isn't that a personality test? Your answer will be based upon your personality + analytical skills. A more impulsive person may pick the answer which says to treat the wound, but a calm, attentive individual may look around to see whether there are any dangers to him/herself before attending to the person. Both answers demonstrate two different characteristics held by the person. The first person may be more selfless, and could be more devoted to their work, willing to put their life to it, and would do anything to save a person without regard for their own safety. The second person may be more through and more level headed. Both characteristics are desirable. The responder has to decide on the spot what they would do in such a situation.

But if the responder has been previously tutored on which response is the correct response, which answer the examiners want, then it defies the purpose of the test.

Say the desired personality is a level headed analytical person. An irrational impulsive smart person could possible pass the test having before hand revised scenarios and the desired actions with his or her tutor.

Also, the type of questions they ask aren't like maths questions, where there are right or wrong answers. They are questions based on ethics, based on morals and based on the heart. Therefore, if you get one question wrong, then yes, perhaps medicine isn't the right career path for you, even though it is just one question.

For example, the Department of Education requires all potential employees working with children to have passed a screening test for child abuse or something. If one person failed that test, even though that is such an indiginficant part of the whole employment process with the Department of Educaiton, even though that person may have been the best candidate for the job, that person does not get the job because that one requirement (or question) was not fulfilled.

but not everyone wants to do it to help people. A lot of people do medicine because it has prestige, they do it for the high income, or due to their parents expectations, or because they want to be like their romanticised heroes on TV

besides, you don't have to be a doctor to help people.

nurses help people too.

yeah, thats a long post, so I'll agree with you, and from what I read its sounds better than what I said.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Originally posted by jessika

yeah, thats a long post, so I'll agree with you, and from what I read its sounds better than what I said.
oh i think it starts repeating itself somewhere around the 3rd paragraph, but i'm not sure haven't read it through myself yet! :D

it is a long post. i'm bored.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by user

oh i think it starts repeating itself somewhere around the 3rd paragraph, but i'm not sure haven't read it through myself yet! :D

it is a long post. i'm bored.
hehe, my free hour in the day is spent on these boards, I think Im addicted.

evie

Originally posted by da_best
it depends if ur UAI is 65 or more and ur RET is 64 than UWS will use ur UAI than ur RET but if ur UAI is below 65 and with the RET score of 64 than u wont be offered a place unless u applied for EAS than they will accept u.
Thanks for replying! I get what you're saying but as I re-read old posts from this topic I saw this:

Originally posted by Amuka
If the posted UAI for a course is 75 then you need your UAI to be atleast 65 to use your RET, then to get into the course your RET must be atleast the posted UAI, 75.
At least.

Are you sure?

That means if your course is 75, you get 65 but your ret is 74, you can still be offered a place?

N

ND

medicine are for nerd people who study 24/7 cause last year 9 out of 22 people that got a UAI of 100 did medicine which shows that the nerd of that course. i think medicine is boring spending up 60 to 70 hours a week in a hospital with no social life at all which stinks i think.

this one of the UMAT question a friend gave me and i found confusing.
Suppose that three of these statements are true and one is false:
Niki is younger than Mark
Lia is older than Mark
the sum of the ages of Mark and Niki is twice the age if Lia
Niki is older than Lia

who is the youngest person-Lia, mark or Niki

Anybody got any idea who the youngest person is ???
my friend says it is mark but anyone agree???

l
The top one is false (Niki is older than Mark), so Mark is the youngest.

Rosie

Originally posted by evie

Are you sure?

That means if your course is 75, you get 65 but your ret is 74, you can still be offered a place?
Hey evie, why don't you just tell your friend that if she has any queries to call the info line and im sure they'll be able to answer her questions...i dunno what the number is off hand but if she just calls the uni or looks on the letter she was sent the number should be there.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A

Are you sure?

That means if your course is 75, you get 65 but your ret is 74, you can still be offered a place? [/B]

no u will not be offered a place cause ur ret was not 75 or more which is the cutoff but if u applied for disadvantage than maybe u can depending on ur reasons.

evie

Will do Rosie, and thanks for answering my q's da_best. :)

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ultimate
what is a regional entry test and why do you need it?

read page 276 of the UAC guide they will tell u wat it is.

Rosie

Originally posted by Ultimate
what is a regional entry test and why do you need it?
Its just an extra way of getting into a course for UWS. It consists of multiple choice questions maths n english plus a written english section where you have to write 2 essays. If you are successful then they will accept your RET score instead of the UAI u get which is helpful if your uai is lower then what the course cut off is. It has to be like 10 points within the range or something...
But yeah as da_best said if u want more info on it then read the uac guide. :)

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
and it's only for the "locals" westies!!

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
medicine are for nerd people who study 24/7 cause last year 9 out of 22 people that got a UAI of 100 did medicine which shows that the nerd of that course. i think medicine is boring spending up 60 to 70 hours a week in a hospital with no social life at all which stinks i think.

this one of the UMAT question a friend gave me and i found confusing.
Suppose that three of these statements are true and one is false:
Niki is younger than Mark
Lia is older than Mark
the sum of the ages of Mark and Niki is twice the age if Lia
Niki is older than Lia

who is the youngest person-Lia, mark or Niki

Anybody got any idea who the youngest person is ???
my friend says it is mark but anyone agree???

I love these problems. :D

The youngest person is Mark. It's the only option that makes sense, given the constraints of the question.

What the question is really asking for is a situation created by the negation of one and affirmation of three of the statements which makes logical sense. In this case, if statement 1 is negated, then Mark would have to be the youngest, followed by Lia, then Niki. Statement 3 is possible because the separating age between Mark and Lia and Lia and Niki could be equal, making the average of Niki and Mark's ages equal to Lia's age.

If Niki was the youngest person, then statement 4 would immediately be negated, as would statement 3, since if statement 2 is true, and Lia is the oldest, the sum of Mark's and Niki's age must be lower than double her age. If statement 2 is not true, statement 3 could be true, but still, two statements are false in this situation, not one.

If Lia was the youngest, statements 2 and 3 would be negated, much in the same way.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
yo weisy i agree with the logic and argument u said but i think u have 2 figure this out in less than 60 second which is the hard bit that i couldn't do it took me bout 5 minutes to figure wat they meant.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
I know what you mean. Also, doing it under pressure is more difficult.

However, having your own thought processes in response to a problem is much easier and less time-consuming than trying to understand someone else's reasoning written on a page.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Weisy
I know what you mean. Also, doing it under pressure is more difficult.

However, having your own thought processes in response to a problem is much easier and less time-consuming than trying to understand someone else's reasoning written on a page.
so true they say u understand better if its ur work than somebody elses sort of like school in a way i think
so did u take da umat test ???

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
no i didn't i was sick on that day they didn't even give me a refund back and also they didn't let me sit 1 on a alternative test date cause my reason was unacceptable.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
that's harsh. Even worse if you're set on doing med.

Are you?

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
yup i was planning on appling for unsw or newcastle but guess have 2 wait for next yr

so did u apply for any med school ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)