Regret doing Standard? (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Because generally the people who pick Standard aren't that capable of achieving such a mark.
This is true.
they align your marks In the AOS against advanced, so if you do well in AOS a band 6 is definitly achievable.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
chyeah said:
lol it is actually... 3.3% of standard english people which get band 6. well that's what i heard from the 2007 hsc marks. I do standard english....
Unfortunately, nowhere near that many people get a band 6. Only twenty-something people got it this year, so that's like waaaaaaaay under 1%.

To the OP: if you're doing well in Advanced, why are you considering dropping down to Standard? I reckon that if you can manage a band 6 (or even band 5) in Advanced, then stick with it. Band 5/6 is much more attainable in Advanced than it is in Standard. Standard is only for people who are stuggling with English/have too much on their plate to be able to cope with the demands of Advanced.

But please do not make the assumption that because you're doing well in Advanced that you'll blitz Standard. You'll still need to put in the work and actually study your texts. If you don't, you'll get shit marks and where would that leave you?

(Lol, I think I'm spending too much time looking at Standard v. Advanced threads)

bassistx

HSC
Ffs this is because most of the people doing Std Eng are stupid. They've never read a book in their life.
This is what I'm stuck with. But it guarantees your rank will obviously be in the top 10 if you're stuck with people who are almost illiterate.

michael1990

HSC
I did pick Advanced but because of the teacher i was going to have if i stayed, i dropped down to Standard and have a kickarse teacher.

(he teaches year 11 Advanced now)​

sasa-o8

HSC
I faced the same dilemma as you, but at the end of term 3, right at the end of the preliminary year. I was ranked 20 in advanced but decided to drop and now I regret BIG TIME cos I have the shittest teacher and I think my rank dropped down further. And considering the fact standard scales worse it has worked AGAINST me.

So think about it carefully! :)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
bassistx said:
Ffs this is because most of the people doing Std Eng are stupid. They've never read a book in their life.
This is what I'm stuck with. But it guarantees your rank will obviously be in the top 10 if you're stuck with people who are almost illiterate.
I've never ever read a book in my life, and I've never even gone half way through reading a prescribed novel/text in English.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
michael1990 said:
I did pick Advanced but because of the teacher i was going to have if i stayed, i dropped down to Standard and have a kickarse teacher.

(he teaches year 11 Advanced now)​
Yeah your teacher is defintly in the top 2 standard teachers at our school.
Probably 2nd.

I think standard english is hard, merely because in class we ARE slowed down by the illiterate kids/retards and its hard to get an edge.

michael1990

HSC
risole91 said:
Yeah your teacher is defintly in the top 2 standard teachers at our school.
Probably 2nd.

I think standard english is hard, merely because in class we ARE slowed down by the illiterate kids/retards and its hard to get an edge.
I SO agree, the 'mentally challenged' students in my english class, make it extremely difficult to go forward. Except this isn't just for english also, nearly every other one of my subjects.

Agreed Risole???

HeavenlyAnarchy

HSC
Yeah i GOT dropped because they wanted to compress classes.
Damn them all!

My class is mostly full of braindeads who ask at every possible moment "What does THAT mean?" or make statements like "But I don't get it sir!"

Somedays..*gun to head*

nandison

HSC
bro nahh you know what i totally regret not picking up advanced i should of picked it up as well as with extension coz instead i piked up maths and i dont need maths in poetry and english teaching i need english !!!

overalll i think you should go for advanced if you can do it , don t waste your time doing standard if you can do advanced , you'll just be fooling yourself!!!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
HeavenlyAnarchy said:
Yeah i GOT dropped because they wanted to compress classes.
Damn them all!

My class is mostly full of braindeads who ask at every possible moment "What does THAT mean?" or make statements like "But I don't get it sir!"

Somedays..*gun to head*
Just get a Band 5 or 6 and you can assure yourself you are definitely not one of them.

lishajohannah

HSC
im doing standard.
and i was away(sick) for the first month and a half this year, came back and came first in the assessment that id missed all the work for.
standard is incredibly easy.
i wouldnt drop.
we had people drop at the beginning of year 12, people who could have done really well in adv.
and now, because most people in st. are unmotivated, and are only there cos they have to do english, they are coming like 40th in st.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I've never done Advanced English so I can't really compare but I will say that Standard English was awesome. Why the hell would I regret it?
lishajohannah said:
im doing standard.
and i was away(sick) for the first month and a half this year, came back and came first in the assessment that id missed all the work for.
standard is incredibly easy.
i wouldnt drop.
we had people drop at the beginning of year 12, people who could have done really well in adv.
and now, because most people in st. are unmotivated, and are only there cos they have to do english, they are coming like 40th in st.
Finally some positive views on Standard English.
Didn't like being looked down upon just because we are Standard English students.

HSC
Do you want a band 6 for English? Then i suggest you stay in Advanced English. My English teacher was explaining to me that if i was to stay in standard English i would have no chance reaching a band 6, regardless if i was to ace everything. They’d scale me down just because I’m in standard :/.

Plus if your topping the class then i don't see the problem :p.

But anyways, its up to you

^_^

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
a.w.e.s.o.m.e-o said:
Do you want a band 6 for English? Then i suggest you stay in Advanced English. My English teacher was explaining to me that if i was to stay in standard English i would have no chance reaching a band 6, regardless if i was to ace everything. They’d scale me down just because I’m in standard :/.

Plus if your topping the class then i don't see the problem :p.

But anyways, its up to you

^_^
False to the stuff in bold lol.
P(chance of getting a band 6) ≈ 0.01, therefore it is still possible to achieve a Band 6 , not impossible.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Aplus said:
DO NOT DROP DOWN TO STANDARD. I think it's been stated so many times that students of Standard English rarely if ever achieve the top marks.
I agree. :D

HSC
Forbidden. said:
False to the stuff in bold lol.
P(chance of getting a band 6) ≈ 0.01, therefore it is still possible to achieve a Band 6 , not impossible.
serz? :O! she lied to meeee! ;_;
o wells, i still dont regret taking up advanced ^_^

jazzbaby

HSC
u know if it were me i would NEVER consider dropping to standard

like you i am also in the top class...our advanced class is the best, we actually get our work done and we have the best teacher.. and down the corridor u can hear the standard classes.. they are just so disruptive... at my school anyway .. but u know might be different in yours...

but yeah dont drop to standard unless u are finding advanced hard.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
In a way i think that i should of done advanced but in a way i am glad i do standard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)