Regrets of Picking Certain Subjects (1 Viewer)

HSC
:). My pleasure heh. I'm guessing people have high expectations of you??
That would be 100% correct ahahhah I'm an only child so I need to make my family proud they are looking at 95ish for an ATAR the way I'm going I see a 70 : / Plus my aunty is a dentist in Canada so they're like why don't we move there so you can get a job ... yeah, no thanks I'd rather not look in peoples mouths all day ... ahhaha

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
That would be 100% correct ahahhah I'm an only child so I need to make my family proud they are looking at 95ish for an ATAR the way I'm going I see a 70 : / Plus my aunty is a dentist in Canada so they're like why don't we move there so you can get a job ... yeah, no thanks I'd rather not look in peoples mouths all day ... ahhaha
Ahahahahhaah. I thought that was the case. Nevermind them :p. My parents expected me to do quite highly as well, I just brushed those expectations off and did what I felt I needed to do to get into my course.

HSC
I wish I stayed in PD/H/PE at the start of year 11 instead of transferring to Ancient History and eventually dropping it... Now I'm stuck with Food Tech :/

madharris

HSC
N/A
I regret picking Music 2 How the hell can teachers fairly mark someone's playing on an instrument if they don't play it themselves? Also all this composition crap, a musicology essay that we have 20 minutes to write and friggin melodic dictation and sight singing that we (well at least my class) has never been taught how to do. Plus, the choices for the pieces you have to play are so restrictive. Add to that that the whole subject is pretty much an ATAR killer and you get the biggest regret of my HSC year :(
The markers don't need to know how to play the instrument. What they mark you is on how technical ability, stylistic understanding, your understanding of your role as a soloist or ensemble member, expression and if you or just play the piece or if you perform it

With music 2, because you get a score you don't have to listen to the recordings, meaning you can just rush ahead so you have more time for the essay

With melodic dictation, first of all if you haven't already, you should learn to identify intervals (e.g. P4, M3, m6, tritone, etc)
What I suggest doing (this is how I did it), I wrote out the rhythm at the top of the stave on the first playing, then figured out the melody on the next few playings
(you should try to do at least one every second day)

With sight singing you should do a similar thing to melodic dictation
Get a feel for the beat and rhythm, sing it through once or twice, figure out any intervals that you don't know individually, put it all together
(you should try to do at least one every day)

You actually have a huge variety of pieces to choose from. 25 years worth of music for your core topic and depending on your option, there will most probably be a lot of pieces to choose from.

I think the topics are Music of a culture, medieval music (I admit not much to choose from but I know no schools who do this), renaissance music (same as medieval), music 1900-1945 (lots of music for every instruments even if they're arranged for particular instruments), music 1945 to music 25 years ago (again, there is a whole bunch of music here!)

You're doing well in music, so I wouldn't think it would be too much of an atar killer, just try your best, Polish off your pieces and learn sight reading/melodic dictation and you'll be fine :)

MK2308

HSC
Should've done bio instead of physics, even though I dropped physics. Probably would've dropped chem or eco.. but i like both subjects, just horribad at them.

mcapuano

HSC
Business studies, easy subject but didn't realise how shit the ranking is

zmccu3

HSC
can't remember if I've posted in this thread yet but I did:
Legal(prelim and dropped)
Ancient
Modern
Adv English
CAFS
Business

wish I:
kept legal
dropped ancient
Modern
adv English
2u maths
physics
and ext 1 history

watapple

HSC
i think i like my subject combination but wanted geography... no class because not enough people

i have no common sense.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Jap Beginners.

It was easy last year, but this year it got so damn hard. And then I learned that it was an accelerated course...

levelup888

HSC
Should've fought to stay in MX1
Should've done Filipino Continuers instead of doing Chemistry
Shouldn't have dropped SOR 1U so I could at least have a back up

But I'm pretty happy I stayed in Physics, ITM and Adv English. Just wish I didn't drop and should've taken other subjects. ==' 10 units woopie... Mystery Mark I guess. >.<

Last edited:

jaycoo50

HSC
I shouldn've dropped 4u, I should I done economics in year 11.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Physics! Probs help with the theoretical understanding of mechanics.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree, but my school was lowsy and couldn't be bothered offering economics.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I agree, but my school was lowsy and couldn't be bothered offering economics.
Oh yeah. People that live in Sylvania Waters reckon that Eco is a dying subject

I reckon I would have done Eco over Business

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)