Regrets of Picking Certain Subjects (1 Viewer)

nifkeh

HSC
since when is economics in the asian 5

that doesn't make sense at all because it's an essay based subject, and the asian 5 stereotype is meant to perpetuate a "we love maths, we hate english" deal.
nope

ShayK

HSC
dropped PDHPE and kept Business Studies.
I shouldn't have done that, worst decision ever.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Should never have started guitar in year 9. (This is probably my biggest regret, I hate the instrument more than anything.)
Should never have subsequently picked Music 1 which I eventually dropped anyway and wasted 2 perfectly good units I could've picked physics for.
Should never have swapped eco for drama, which I eventually dropped anyway and again, wasted 2 perfectly good units.
Should never have acted on the supremely petty and childish hate I had for Math in junior high school years and sucked it up and picked up 3u and consequently 4u Math. Judging by how fast I picked up Math and how much I liked it in the end I would've done so much better if I had been smarter just picked Math.
Should never have picked 4u English. It was a supreme waste of time and incredibly unrewarding.
Should have put more effort into my accelerated subject in 2011. I had no other HSC subjects at the time and I could've done a lot better than I did.

I could've made a 99+ ATAR...

ashleeyy

HSC
CHEMISTRY! Ohmygosh. I absolutely hate chemistry , I regret dropping legal studies instead of chemistry. -.-'

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
This is also true - there's too much rote learning for Chemistry and Physics because they should be more conceptual. All the humanities/social sciences are rote learning frenzies (experience from Modern History) - I just couldn't do it.
I think Modern History is the least rotable humanity-it's all about structuring a clear logical and sustained argument with your essays and questions. I think it does take a lot of skill-particularly it's first section.

I don't have regrets persay because I achieved my ATAR goal easily. But during yr 11/12 I definitely felt I could have picked a better subject combo-but considering with 12 units, the one subject I should have dropped when I had the chance didn't count so yeah. I wish I had stayed in Economics-did well in it in Yr 11 with minimal effort and it is a sub that caters to my natural ability. Similar to Modern which ended up one of my best HSC subs.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
since when is economics in the asian 5

that doesn't make sense at all because it's an essay based subject, and the asian 5 stereotype is meant to perpetuate a "we love maths, we hate english" deal.
Coz Eco's scaling is on par/rivals the scaling of Chemistry & Physics.

So traditionally, the Asian 5 is:
Adv Eng
MX1/MX2
Physics
Chemistry
Economics OR sometimes, Biology.

Then the Asian 4 is just the above without Eco/Bio.

What's the most common thing in the Asian 5? It's scaling.

Aysce

HSC
Ugh. Why didn't I do the asian 5? :haha:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I regret not doing music and picking chemistry instead .

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ugh. Why didn't I do the asian 5? :haha:
Look forward. Forward.

I also feel pertinent to add the Asian Five is not the best combo for everyone despite its esteem-I think I would have gotten a decently worse score attempting it myself :p The best subject combo for someone is individual. Balanced between interest mainly, consideration to natural abilities second and then furfilling pre reqs for uni, considering scaling in respect to ATAR goal, quality of teaching of the sub at your school etc. It's a very unique and tough one to make because you make the bulk of your general study choices in Yr10 Aug sub selections, and then you can have clashes like I did that can change what you do a bit :p Then tailoring in yr 12 with the option of extensions/dropping is also tough.

Aysce

HSC
Look forward. Forward.

I also feel pertinent to add the Asian Five is not the best combo for everyone despite its esteem-I think I would have gotten a decently worse score attempting it myself :p The best subject combo for someone is individual. Balanced between interest mainly, consideration to natural abilities second and then furfilling pre reqs for uni, considering scaling in respect to ATAR goal, quality of teaching of the sub at your school etc. It's a very unique and tough one to make because you make the bulk of your general study choices in Yr10 Aug sub selections, and then you can have clashes like I did that can change what you do a bit :p Then tailoring in yr 12 with the option of extensions/dropping is also tough.
I don't really care anymore lol. More so just looking in retrospect and laughing.

If I weren't looking forward, I'd still be lying in bed brooding :p

enoilgam

HSC
Look forward. Forward.
I think it can be beneficial to look back in order to analyse what you did wrong in addition to what you did right - that way you can make adjustments for the future. However, looking back for the purpose of regret does no good really, even though it is tempting.

Although it was a while ago for me, I had absolutely no regrets with my subject choices - I think my combination helped me achieve the best ATAR I could. In saying that, I wouldnt have minded giving Business Studies or Biology a go, but again I dont really regret not doing them.

SandyS1995

HSC
Should have dropped business to do 4u
Should have done phys instead of bio

medicore

HSC
- Dropped Biology and Ancient History and Maths.
- Picked up Modern History and Extension History.
- Picked up Extension I and II English.

J18134

HSC
Picked the easiest subjects that my school offered so i could have attained the highest possible atar rather than going to much, much harder subjects.

Kingportable

HSC
Regret going to my school (although i love and if i had the chance i would come back again), i now know that i am good at EXT1 i just couldn't work with the teacher set on it i spent like 5 weeks with a tutor going through the basics as a last minute emergency plan after the trials from then on my study regime worked. My school never runs Economics, Economics is like the Physics of social sciences and social sciences were my best topics. Instead i got stuck with hospitality from there i made the big mistake of switching to Chemistry half way through the year (which i think i would had done well on had i more time and a better ground on the basics). On that note i regret not choosing to do Chemistry from the start. Also my school forces students to do religion which robbed me of 2 units, an easy subject that i am not good at. Also the teacher was really tired even though we all really liked him.

On the topic of regrets, even though i regret thing i still will not change a thing. I think that if did not make the mistake of choosing my school or if i didn't make the mistake of choosing to do chemistry after hospitality i would the not be the person i am and hence would had not done much better than i did. I am not a naturally smart so my personality and attitude is my only weapon, which i developed in my school.

mapletree

HSC
Shouldn't have taken general maths - should have done calculus. And not design technology - too much portfolio work. :mad3:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)