Related texts to Emily Dickinson (1 Viewer)

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Hi
What do you guys suggest I should use as related texts for Selected Poems by Emily Dickinson?

chantal_3

HSC
N/A
Babel,KRudd sorry speech
you can choose a variety because the thematic issues explored in her poems vary -isolation,love of nature,etc-
the related material you choose will ultimately depend on the poems to choose to discuss in your essay

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Wait, so in an exam, would I be able to choose which poem to do? So I don't need related texts that relate to all of her poems?
Also, does that mean that I don't really need to be familiar with all the poems too?
And if I were to choose "This is my letter to the world," and "I had been hungry all the years," what texts would you suggest then?

Sorry for all the questions lol

chantal_3

HSC
N/A
in an essay you should include an analysis of 3 poems. you should know all your poems and have a related texts that respond to the thematic issues in her poems. I know people that had 3 back realted texts. remember in the HSC they only asked one text.

babel is a flexible text that you can incorporate in pretty much all essays.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
No you don't need to refer to all the poems in your essay. Best to only refer to two or three (if you're using the shorter ones) and go into depth with those.

I wouldn't just have notes on those though, I had notes on 4 for the HSC so I could decide in the exam which poems and which of my concepts could best answer the question. Of course you can't do that if you're planning to pre-prepare an essay..

This is my Letter is about wanting to belong to society but their rejection of her, her belonging to nature and belonging through her art-form (writing) and therefore to posthumous audiences rather than her present. Hungry shares the idea of the innate need/want to belong to society, but in it she realises that she doesn't actually need society because it causes her fear/pain, and she can belong more comfortably in nature and from within.

Sooo when I used these poems I focused on the concept of internal belonging~ to nature and to her writing, and the fact that she didn't need society to get a positive sense of belonging.
'Walden' by Thoreau is a biography that you could use, specifically the chapter on nature, because he's promoting solitude. 'Letters to a Young Poet' by Rilke is similar- promotes solitude to enhance writing and internal connection. Hm, 'Bright Star' is a film by Ana Kokkinos about John Keats (Romantic poet) and Fanny Brawne, and how nature and writing allow them to belong despite physical barriers.. and the ability (in the end) to have belonging through nature and poetry even after death. I also used Steppenwolf, a novel by Hermann Hesse about a Schizophrenic (sort of) man who believes his soul is half wolf (nature) and half man (society) and it deals with the struggle between then two and the inability for him to belong in bourgeois world due to superficiality.
UMmmmmmMmMmmmmm I'm sure there are a million more. 'The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock' also works for proving these sort of ideas by reflecting the opposite- when one does not have nature, and instead lives in an urban wasteland, one's sense of belonging is corroded. Prufrock also can't connect with his superficial society, like Dickinson who can't connect with her Calvinist religious context.

You don't need to find texts that deal with nature either, but I found it easier that way. Hope they helped, but better to find your own related texts that you're already familiar with.
Good luck ;D

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
in an essay you should include an analysis of 3 poems. you should know all your poems and have a related texts that respond to the thematic issues in her poems. I know people that had 3 back realted texts. remember in the HSC they only asked one text.

babel is a flexible text that you can incorporate in pretty much all essays.
Yeah I had three related texts. -_____-
It was quite crushing when they asked for just one, again! D:

chantal_3

HSC
N/A
its better to be safe than sorry. i also know people that went into the exam with only one related text, one that they didn't even know properly.

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Alright thanks guys, I think I have an idea of what related texts I'll choose =)
I think I'll play it safe, and make notes on 4 of Dickinson's poems and 3 related texts.

+rep to both of you =D

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
What related text should I use for 'I died for beauty' ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)