related texts (1 Viewer)

jwilkinson

HSC
Just had a random thought but say your related texts had nothing in helping you answer the aspect of belonging asked e.g. relationships, wider world etc. but there was a perfect piece for it in the comprehension section... could you use that?

freeeeee

HSC
you can twist almost anything to fit with belonging lol

Demise

HSC
LMAO if you're completely screwed, yes. Better than nothing IMHO.

Rawf

HSC
What happens for some crazy reason that your related text happens to be an unseen text in the hsc?
My songs pretty old but really famous (teachers would all know it and be like omg this is my jam)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
In all honesty, I would never have recommended the use of a song as a related text.

Rawf

HSC
In all honesty, I would never have recommended the use of a song as a related text.
Its not like an irrelevant pop song or whatever from today's time.
Imo it could even be seen as a poem.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
The problem with songs is that not only must you analyse the lyrics, language wise, but you also have to address the musical component as well (after all, it is a song). For example, how does the tempo and beat at this point in the song show whatever it is you're arguing? You don't have that in poems.

If you've already got your analysis for a song all geared to go like that, then go for it, but the reason I say all this is that almost all students neglect the musical component of the song and that is not looked upon well by markers.

Rawf

HSC
The problem with songs is that not only must you analyse the lyrics, language wise, but you also have to address the musical component as well (after all, it is a song). For example, how does the tempo and beat at this point in the song show whatever it is you're arguing? You don't have that in poems.

If you've already got your analysis for a song all geared to go like that, then go for it, but the reason I say all this is that almost all students neglect the musical component of the song and that is not looked upon well by markers.
Is it crucial that we analyse the musical component? Oh crap man.. I didn't do that. I have negative tone, personification and metaphor for it. Its a Minor related for my belonging essay :( like.. 180 words.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
There's no point in doing a song if you can't analyse the musical composition of it. It's a song for a reason and you have to address that. Otherwise, don't expect spectacular marks in an essay where you're using a song to back up your argument.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
hes referring to the essay.
can he use one of the unseen texts from the comprehension as a related text for belonging.

personally i dont think its a great idea
Haha, yeah, it was nearly 4am and I misread it.

OP I would strongly advise against using the given text in the comprehension section for your essay.

Also, you need to analyse the whole song, music and all, because that's what the text is composed of.

mike12345678

HSC
ive done a music film clip rather then the audio so i have to analyse the lyrics, music and the visual haha.

the song i picked fits belonging so perfectly and ive done a few essays and got close to full marks so i guess ive done the right thing

Rawf

HSC
There's no point in doing a song if you can't analyse the musical composition of it. It's a song for a reason and you have to address that. Otherwise, don't expect spectacular marks in an essay where you're using a song to back up your argument.
Is there a difference if I introduce the song in the intro saying "the song lyrics ______ by _____"? Would that mean I just have to analyse the lyrics? (I did that in trials and still scored a 11/15.. I'm hoping for 12 in hsc)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Is there a difference if I introduce the song in the intro saying "the song lyrics ______ by _____"? Would that mean I just have to analyse the lyrics? (I did that in trials and still scored a 11/15.. I'm hoping for 12 in hsc)
No, it's still a song and needs to be analysed as such. You may have gotten away with it then, but I assure you you won't in the HSC.

Rawf

HSC
No, it's still a song and needs to be analysed as such. You may have gotten away with it then, but I assure you you won't in the HSC.
Do you reckon I can just throw in one little sentence like.. slow tempo creates a melancholy tone or something like that? I only have 1 small paragraph for the song and I don't wanna write too much on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)