• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religion: Does It Do More Harm Than Good? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davin

HSC
N/A
and actually, forgot to mention that American ships were being sunk by the Germans in WWI

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Commit suicide!!! :):):)

If the afterlife is so great, go top yourself now. :):):)
no sorry my life doenst belong to me
its forbidden to commit suicide
so ur stuck with my annoying posts until the day i die

HotShot

-_-
HSC
davin said:
and actually, forgot to mention that American ships were being sunk by the Germans in WWI
yes millions were killed under the hands of american. now they r being raped in iraqi prisons.

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
yes millions were killed under the hands of american. now they r being raped in iraqi prisons.
american ships were attacked while the u.s. was neutral. so the u.s. joined the war. that was 3 YEARS after the start of the war that the u.s. became involved. so how is that warmongering?

and any links to this claim of raping in the prisons? there's been some isolated incidents of people acting horribly wrong, but its not been on level of raping or other forms of torture.

Jordan.J

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
LOL, its not religion that causes violence. Its humans, its human nature to be violent, to feel alienated, to discriminate those that are different. We fear things that are different.

Violence is everywhere, if you remove religion- 'world's problems would still exist. Many peeps use religion as an excuse to to do violent actions and as a result ur perspective is that religion has cause all this.

Religion, is just a basically a set of rules, a guide. ITs up to you as an individual to make a choice to believe in it, abide by it etc. So religion is not a cause of problems, rather its in human natures. Humans are greedy bastards (like any animal), we want more, and as result we will do anything to get it and this means using religion, politics, art etc.
yeah I agree.

Corruption and violence has always existed.

davin

HSC
N/A
soha said:
all religons promote peace and love harmony and social justice blah blah blah
we just need people to follow them properly
when you mention social justice, do you mean the use of a particular relgions views to create a code of laws, or in the sense that it would instill in people the belief that they have to follow a given set of laws of a region/country/etc but not neccessarily just their religious beliefs?
or did you have a different view in mind?

K

katie_tully

I believe it does more harm than good. Religions are still under the notion that they are a law unto themselves, much like they were doing the dark ages. Hard core fanatics of any religion, I feel, are extremely dangerous. I believe their sense of good judgement or infact any sense is completely over ridden by their belief in their religion.
I do believe there are many harmless religions. Buddhism for example is extremely peaceful, and whilst it revolves around a higher being, its teachings do not promote violence against "infidels".

HotShot

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:
I believe it does more harm than good. Religions are still under the notion that they are a law unto themselves, much like they were doing the dark ages. Hard core fanatics of any religion, I feel, are extremely dangerous. I believe their sense of good judgement or infact any sense is completely over ridden by their belief in their religion.
I do believe there are many harmless religions. Buddhism for example is extremely peaceful, and whilst it revolves around a higher being, its teachings do not promote violence against "infidels".
hardcore fanatics of anything are extremely dangerous. there buddhist extremists out there, just not picked on by the media.

Davin: Oh yeah, american just nuked Hiroshima and killed millions then and now killin more as a result of nuclear fallout.

K

katie_tully

Buddhist extremists are called Greenies. They may be annoying, but they don't blow shit up.

K

katie_tully

You have sexual thoughts towards the lotus plant, don't you. Monks cannot think of flora and fauna in a sexual way.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
As much as I enjoy supporting criticism of religion, the approach of your criticisms has escalated to personal and provocative attacks with no rational and sensible arguments on the topic of 'Is religion more harmful than good?' The same old rhetoric is repeated. If further attacks take place this thread will be closed by a moderator.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Might I add the fact that particular religions revolve around a book. It's not extremists, soha, its not the fact that "one person screws everything up".
I feel its the process of revolving around a text.

The written word should always be handled with great suspicion, since the very nature of reading is nevertheless always selective and up to interpretation. I've noticed that even though this concept is imbedded in the HSC English syllabus, a lot of people fail to apply the idea with the bible. It is a text itself.

If you do not understand this, it is the reason why some religious people say "they're not a "true Christian" or they are "just radical muslims" or "they do not know Islam" when really, again, it is a branch, a group of people who have read a book, shared a similar interpretation and have become active. Whether it be the many branches of Christianity/Catholicism etc or Islam.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:
You have sexual thoughts towards the lotus plant, don't you. Monks cannot think of flora and fauna in a sexual way.
I DONT THINK ITS A SEXUAL DESIRE, I JUST FEEL LIKE EATING SOME LOTUS ROOTS.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Fuck man, that isn't working :(
NOW IF I HADNT CALLED U RETARD WOULD IT HAVE WORKED? NO WHY? COS U HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A RETARD.

NOTE: BE STRONG, DONT CRY TAKE IT LIKE A MAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)