Religion: Does It Do More Harm Than Good? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katie_tully

I read a book about the history of the Bible the other day, you know, out of interest. I wonder how many hard core religious types know the true origin. I doubt it would matter, they all believe it is the direct word of God..

Which it turns out, is not correct!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
katie_tully said:
I read a book about the history of the Bible the other day, you know, out of interest. I wonder how many hard core religious types know the true origin. I doubt it would matter, they all believe it is the direct word of God..

WE ALL READ BOOKS, GO READ SOME HARRY POTTER. (FUCKEN RASCIST BOOK)

K

katie_tully

I don't like fictional books. I often dislike one or more characters, and end up eating the displeasing pages.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Here’s a door and
Here’s a window
Here’s the ceiling
Here’s the floor
The room is lit like
A black and white movie
The t.v.’s on, that’s what it’s for
And if you walk real slowly
You can feel the planet breathe
There’s no need to feel so lowly
Now that we’ve all learned to give

Accidently kelly street
Where friends and strangers
Sometimes meet
Accidently kelly street
I never thought life
Could be so sweet

In the garden birds are singing
The sun is shining on the path
The wind is talking to the flowers
The dogs and cats all take a bath
And if you stop that talking
You can hear the traffic sigh
Throw away those keys
Start walking, watch those
Tiny things go by

Accidently kelly street
Sometimes meet
Accidently kelly street
I never thought life
Could be so sweet

It’s sunday everyday
And there’s no need to rush around
Inside of everybody there’s sun
And laughter to be found
It seems that we’re on holidays
And sleeping in is not a sin
All the housework’s done by teatime
I’m feeling good about
The way I’ve been

Perhaps this optimism
Will crash on down
Like a house of cards
I know that my decision
To change my life was not that hard

Accidently kelly street
Sometimes meet
Accidently kelly street
I never thought life
Could be so sweet

Accidently kelly street
Sometimes meet
Accidently kelly street
I never thought life
Could be so sweet

Accidently...
Accidently...
Accidently kelly street
I never thought life
Could be so sweet!
Religion Does
It is the direct word
of Programming
Languages French Chinese German
Italian Japanese Latin Spanish Other
Than Good? enough to
make me some LOTUS plant, you.
did. Irritated by Schroedinger
Sponsored Links Today, 1:50
PM 51 PM. 简体ä¸*æ–‡ 繁體ä¸*æ–‡ 51 PM 55
ur_inner_child View Public Profile
Send a true HSC:
TAMAL TIGERS 4 0

yy

HSC
N/A
sociological perspective on religion:
functionalist analysis - social solidarity, meaning of life, social control, identity, psychological support, social change
conflict analysis - inequality (Marxism), conflicts between religions

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
i don't outrule religion completely, it does teach things like respect to your elders, parents, family..cleaness, etc but the thing is a person in the right mind, with the right education from their family would already know these things, apart from that, the existance of each god is not proven, or the praying or whatever all that stuff....if people realise, praying brings people together...which is probably why religion was brought out by somebody in the first place, maybe for good purposes, so people unite, be happy, caring about eachother and stuff...but it is outdated, and the other parts (god allah whatever ) is not proven....and today, it only separates people, causes arguments,"ooh no he's christian, she's muslim, don't be friends with them!!" etc...these are nothing but barriers

HotShot

-_-
HSC
sparkl3z said:
i don't outrule religion completely, it does teach things like respect to your elders, parents, family..cleaness, etc but the thing is a person in the right mind, with the right education from their family would already know these things, apart from that, the existance of each god is not proven, or the praying or whatever all that stuff....if people realise, praying brings people together...which is probably why religion was brought out by somebody in the first place, maybe for good purposes, so people unite, be happy, caring about eachother and stuff...but it is outdated, and the other parts (god allah whatever ) is not proven....and today, it only separates people, causes arguments,"ooh no he's christian, she's muslim, don't be friends with them!! etc...these are nothing but barriers
thats all gud. did u have a gud lunch?

davin

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
hardcore fanatics of anything are extremely dangerous. there buddhist extremists out there, just not picked on by the media.

Davin: Oh yeah, american just nuked Hiroshima and killed millions then and now killin more as a result of nuclear fallout.
you really seem to be off on the sequence of events in WWII and things like that....if you've much a point to make though, feel free to start another thread, i'll debate you there

and sparl3z, i think that religion is probably rooted in creating order and, often, power, rather than simply bringing people togetehr

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Davin: Oh yeah, american just nuked Hiroshima and killed millions then and now killin more as a result of nuclear fallout.
The japanese were planning on using civilians to storm beaches as cannon fodder in order to stop the US... it would of been the bloodiest most horrible war in all history.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
transcendent said:
If further attacks take place this thread will be closed by a moderator.
Seems like someone's gunning for benefactor.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
This was on the history channel, who knows if it's accurate or not. I've generally been against the bombing because it strikes me as bad logic, however when presented with this idea (coupled with knowledge that this seemed to fit with japanese military strategy), I changed my opinion.

If however someone here knows that this is just bullshit or whatever I'll probably go back to being anti-hiroshima bombing :/

Mongke

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
This was on the history channel, who knows if it's accurate or not. I've generally been against the bombing because it strikes me as bad logic, however when presented with this idea (coupled with knowledge that this seemed to fit with japanese military strategy), I changed my opinion.

If however someone here knows that this is just bullshit or whatever I'll probably go back to being anti-hiroshima bombing :/
if its true then the Japanese propaganda in WW2 was better than the English propaganda in WW1. do you really think civilians would do that?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
What? defend beaches armed with very little in order to defend their homeland? I think there's alot of people that would be willing to defend their homeland in such a way and we've seen it throughout history.

Mongke

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
What? defend beaches armed with very little in order to defend their homeland? I think there's alot of people that would be willing to defend their homeland in such a way and we've seen it throughout history.
yeah, i think youre right there.

hey, why did you delete "What is God?"

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
katie_tully said:

Which book was that? I found that sort of thing interesting. I read a book by a bloke (can't remember whether he was a professor or what) about the evidence supporting the bible. It seemed pretty thorough. If you want the title and the author I can give it to you.

Anyway, as for religion in general: I am not going to be so absurd as to group all religions together because some of them do not mix well.

But first, it should be remembered that religion, like any other ideological perspective can be used by fanatics etc.

Christianity: This is a religion that I find to be extremely positive and most Christians I know are all the good sort of people who brighten your day and work for charities, that sort of thing. Christianity is a personal thing and should stay that way.
That being said, I do remember that the crusades were done in the past and that religious extrememists do exist, but, in modern Australian society, especially on a personal level, Christianity seems to do more good than harm.

EDIT: Catholicism: I knew I forgot something big. Catholicisim is similair in Christianity to beliefs but it has a more structured, and thus more corruptible approach. Further, Catholicism is rife with allegations of a disturbing nature. Catholics do seem a nice lot but being such a rigid heirachy there is always the worry of views being enforced on those lower down.

Islam: I don't know many muslims, though the few I've met are nice enough, even if it was just in passing. However, the continual problems that arise in relation to islams inconsollability with the West is a hard point to go past. The violence that seems to be inherent with islam (and I used to defend islam up until very recently) along with it's intolerance for certain individuals (including all non - muslims) seems to make this a religion that does more harm than good, at least in Western societies and from a Western, liberal, view point. Perhaps islam is all well and good islamic countries and they can stick with it if they want, but there'll always be a problem as long as they interact with Western nations and people.

Buddhism: There seems to be nothing overtly wrong with this religion in contemporary society (I'm not sure of it's history), but it's not practiced widley in Australia so I'm not familiar with it. Still, the monks seem happy with their lives so they can do as they please.

New Age: A market place religion, if you will. I don't have anything against New Age people in general, if they want to create their own religion to give their life meaning then fine by them. It's a personal thing. As long as it doesn't interfere with society then ok. The logic behind it is another matter, but people can believe in what they like in a free country.

Druidism: Perhaps this is the real religion that should be associated with Greenies, not buddhism. If trees are your thing then go for it, as long as it's legal.

Jedi: May the force be with you. It's actually a real religion and if it's followers reckon they can use the force then good for them. Star wars rules (though I do realise it's fantasy).:jedi:

There are more religions and I'm sure I missed a few biggies but I'll get back to them.

Here is the crux though: Would society really benefit from the loss of religion? And would banning religion really be "freedom"? Wouldn't that just be another form of oppression.

I know the muslims are going to attack me :bomb: , but what the hell. I'm sick of being politically correct. Up until this cartoon foray I defended muslims in Australia when they came up in debates (not on BOS obviously because they're muslims here to do it themselves) and I had nothing against islam. However, these riots have highlighted how incompatible things are. What's more, those links provided withoutaface and others are disturbing and I am not going to defend islam again, or even give it the benefit of the doubt, until I'm assured that muslims aren't raised to believe this and similiar stuff. I'll post one of the links so people know what I'm ranting about: http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/muhammpmad.htm
And there were other links.

Oh, and if this is a bit of a disjointed reply blame it on lack of sleep.:sleep:

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Here is the crux though: Would society really benefit from the loss of religion? And would banning religion really be "freedom"? Wouldn't that just be another form of oppression.
Stalin, Mao and to a lesser extent Hitler and Jacobin France all banned religion and they weren't exactly lovely societies to live in. Also, did you mean to say christianity on a personal level does more good than harm?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Religion should not be banned, but it's best that the government of a society is secular.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Stalin, Mao and to a lesser extent Hitler and Jacobin France all banned religion and they weren't exactly lovely societies to live in. Also, did you mean to say christianity on a personal level does more good than harm?

Thanks for pointing that mistake out. I fixed it. And I agree with you. As I said banning religion takes away freedom and thus ushers in the beginning of oppression and tyranny, except I didn't clarify it like this, but that was the general idea I was grabbing at.

EDIT: And I agree with waf. Otherwise the society becomes oppressive, a theocracy.

Last edited:

Mongke

HSC
withoutaface said:
Religion should not be banned, but it's best that the government of a society is secular.
yes, othewise we would become like the US is at the moment. you need religion to take the fanatics, not the government.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)