Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

lengstar

HSC
well asq wouldn't you want to find a group of people who feel the same way about something as well? i mean sure its good to listen to other people points of views but trying to find people who have the same passions as you are hard these days and church has pretty cool people sometimes. i might go back sometime even if i'm still agnostic.

~Dreamer

HSC
Asquithian said:
its still narrow...and some people see the view presented by the church and the views of the people who like group affirmation as the ONLY way the RIGHT way...GODS way...

its spooky to be in a place where everyone is really nice to eachother and where everyone holds the same moral view...in this situation i have the feeling that anyone who talks about something that is converve to the group affirmed view might be seen as ungodly or blasphemous...

group affirmation of shared values doesnt encourage diversity or individuality...it also places peer pressure to conform to group values...
it really depends on what branch of christianity youre reffering to. if youre reffering to the uni one's they do tend to go a bit over the top, but no-one is forcing anyone to believe a certaint belief.
and if someone is new, or its the first time to a church, youre not going to behave to them rudley now are you?

~Dreamer

HSC
if you want ot express your oppsing view, you can do so even though you think that peer pressure is overwhelming.
but let me tell you, theyre not goign to put a bullet in your head if you dont agree with something, sure most might not agree but in most people respect others' views.
the youth meetings i go to, every time, whatever topic it may be there will always be a huge debate, usually me and my friends expressing our views on the matter, and theres nothing wrong with that, it is what makes them worthwhile to go to.

lengstar

HSC
i went to Sydney University Chinese Christian Fellowship today....i was horrible...*starts crying...the people...they were all so...happy!...it was scary. when they started the sermon it was with prayer, then songs, and the actual sermon...IN CANTONESE!!!...i didn't understand a thing so i read the passage from a translated bible, it was hypocritical....they ended it with a prayer and i felt so horrible coming from it. i'm never going back there again! i'm scarred for life.

dangerousdave

HSC
I'm a non-practicing Buddhist. Their beliefs appeal to me more than soem almighty God that has full control over the world. However, I do go to a Catholic school.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
No Jesus - No Beast.

Faith is a personal thing, and I could never attend instutions like churches. I used to be a Christian but I could never honestly accept there is such a thing as a 'God'.

Now that I'm a little older, I can see:

- the double standards and self righteous attitudes of so many Christians.

- the errors, discrepencies and hypocricies within the Bible (the reason I really feel so strongly about Christianity, since in all honesty I find the religious beliefs and conceptions of other people irrelevant).

- the fact that the majority of christian's have misconceived ideas of what their faith is about. They happily interchange verses from the new and old testaments when it suits them, and upon hearing something from the old testament they don't like, cite it as irrelevant, and say these things are "different now". (which of course they aren't because on many occasions Jesus said that he didn't come to supplant the old law). Additionally, I find it disturbing that I have a greater understanding of the Bible than most Christians.

Religion doesn't save your soul. it destroys it. I could never put 'faith' in a higher being, since I control and create my own life.

I don't need to pray, I work for what I want - and i get it.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
lengstar said:
i went to Sydney University Chinese Christian Fellowship today....i was horrible...*starts crying...the people...they were all so...happy!...it was scary. when they started the sermon it was with prayer, then songs, and the actual sermon...IN CANTONESE!!!...i didn't understand a thing so i read the passage from a translated bible, it was hypocritical....they ended it with a prayer and i felt so horrible coming from it. i'm never going back there again! i'm scarred for life.
Obviously the main reason to attend these things is to deflower attractive, asian Christians.

*try to*

lengstar

HSC
neo_o said:
Obviously the main reason to attend these things is to deflower attractive, asian Christians.

*try to*
damn! you figured me out already! :p

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
these groups are not banded together into a monolithic organisation...

yep and people protesting for right to choose, homosexual rights/rights in general, feminists and all those 'lefty, vegetarian, lesbians' are going to lead to a 'moral crisis' and we will all be backsliding into the depths of hell...

*shakes fist like an old codger*

:rolleyes:

every conservative element in the community has be yelling this out for years...we havnt falling in anarchy yet...
I do believe this was your original question
Originally Posted by Asquithian

when was the last time secular groups banded together in and gave you flyers, covered notice boards with 20 posters and deciding not to be friends with people who are not religious.
I would say that some of them could and should be described as being apart of a monolithic organisation (maybe not quite as big as organised religion but then, you can/never will compare to the majority......!!) LOL
:)

lengstar

HSC
I went to the Christian Chinese Fellowship annual meeting. The food was great, everyone enjoying themselves and singing very corny love God songs. I found one guy who admitted that he wasn't christian but her turned up to the meetings to find nice people, a group of friends. Even though i'm sceptical about God's existence, the joy shared amongst this gathering is, at least to me, more important then whether you believe in God or not. Sure the purpose of the gatherings is christian but it doesn't have to be. I going to turn up to the weekly meetings to work on my Cantonese, and get to know a few people.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
i gotta say, i'm loving john safran atm

granted, he's a bit of a dick, but i like how he's a straight shooter

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
babydoll_ said:
i gotta say, i'm loving john safran atm

granted, he's a bit of a dick, but i like how he's a straight shooter
he's funny

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
oh right, more people who like safran

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)