• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

get_born

ogmzergrush said:
I don't thank god for anything I have, because I don't believe in a god. That said, I am grateful for what I do have, and do what I can to help others in return. I don't really see what this has to do with religion, apart from people thinking that they're doing the world a favour by saying prayers for people who are starving to death on the other side of the globe. To each their own, but no, being non-religious doesn't mean you are any less capable of helping others.
you say you dont believe in god. But god made you, and created every enjoyable moment you have experienced in life as well as the bad to make you a better, stronger person. He created everything beautiful around you, I dont understand why you wouldnt thank god for anything.

HSC
last_chance said:
you say you dont believe in god. But god made you, and created every enjoyable moment you have experienced in life as well as the bad to make you a better, stronger person. He created everything beautiful around you, I dont understand why you wouldnt thank god for anything.
I guess this is why you're religious and I'm not. I see no proof that god created myself, everything that I have experienced, and everything which surrounds me. Nor do I feel any urge to believe in such an incredible (In the implausible sense) concept, with said lack of proof.

I'm exceptionally happy as I am, live a happy and fulfilling life, and feel that I'm a morally sound and compassionate person. I feel no need for anything else in my life, and that's pretty much all there is to it.

get_born

ogmzergrush said:
I guess this is why you're religious and I'm not. I see no proof that god created myself, everything that I have experienced, and everything which surrounds me. Nor do I feel any urge to believe in such an incredible (In the implausible sense) concept, with said lack of proof.

I'm exceptionally happy as I am, live a happy and fulfilling life, and feel that I'm a morally sound and compassionate person. I feel no need for anything else in my life, and that's pretty much all there is to it.
I respect what you believe. But this is what I meant before, those who dont believe have made their minds believe that what they want. If you cant see god created you, guess you dont see much at all. Havent you ever stopped to think where everything began, if its gonna end. Life isnt as simple as you think it is -- your living in a fantasy of some sort. And about lack of proof. I disagree, God has given us examples. Take just a plant. They live and die. And the very same will happen to you and me and everyone else

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
last_chance said:
I respect what you believe. But this is what I meant before, those who dont believe have made their minds believe that what they want. If you cant see god created you, guess you dont see much at all. Havent you ever stopped to think where everything began, if its gonna end. Life isnt as simple as you think it is -- your living in a fantasy of some sort. And about lack of proof. I disagree, God has given us examples. Take just a plant. They live and die. And the very same will happen to you and me and everyone else
have you read the bible? do you believe the word of God was written by those guys so many years ago?

get_born

no I've never read the bible, but I have studied it in studies of religion last year a little.

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
last_chance said:
no I've never read the bible, but I have studied it in studies of religion last year a little.
what kind of conservative christian are you if you havnt read the bible and memorised it by heart?

get_born

im an idiot said:
what kind of conservative christian are you if you havnt read the bible and memorised it by heart?
no ive never read the bible. But I have studied it in studies of religion a little last year. I heard, but I'm not sure, that the bible is changed or updated from time to time. But I wont say anything as I dont have sufficient knowledge on that. And no i dont believe those guys wrote that.

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
last_chance said:
no ive never read the bible. But I have studied it in studies of religion a little last year. I heard, but I'm not sure, that the bible is changed or updated from time to time. But I wont say anything as I dont have sufficient knowledge on that. And no i dont believe those guys wrote that.
so your not a bible humper why do you not support gay marriage and abortion?

get_born

im an idiot said:
so your not a bible humper why do you not support gay marriage and abortion?
because you dont have to be christian to not support that stuff.

HSC
last_chance said:
Havent you ever stopped to think where everything began, if its gonna end. Life isnt as simple as you think it is -- your living in a fantasy of some sort.
That's rich, you respect my beliefs, but tell me I'm living in some sort of a fantasy world because I don't believe in an intangible being who got bored one day and decided to make the universe?

I realise that life isn't simple at all, and frankly I don't understand how it all happened one bit. In reality, seeing as it's such a massive question, it seems a little futile trying to find an answer (Especially seeing as each religion claims to have the exlcusive truth). I'd much rather spend my time doing what I think is the right thing based on my experiences, and enjoying the time I do have, than cooking up reasons for being here. It just doesn't interest me one bit. As you said, that is because I have made my mind believe what I want, but so what? Looks like we all pick our own beliefs and go with them, but somehow you're saying that mine is misguided, simply because it's not the same as yours.

last_chance said:
And about lack of proof. I disagree, God has given us examples. Take just a plant. They live and die. And the very same will happen to you and me and everyone else
I agree, we live and die just like plants. When I'm dead, they'll stick me in a box in the ground, and after a bit my rotting corpse will be eaten by worms. I'm as comfortable with that as you'd expect.

I don't see how believing that I'm going to slowly decompose like all other living matter on the planet equates to living in a fantasy world, as opposed to thinking that if we're good little boys and girls God will take us away to live in heaven happily ever after. Believe what you want, don't get me wrong, it really doesn't bother me one bit what people believe. It's just not for me.

get_born

im an idiot said:
what are your reasons then?

Other than the fact that I'm a muslim, abortion involves killing a life, and gay marriages is wrong, in my opinion.

get_born

ogmzergrush said:
That's rich, you respect my beliefs, but tell me I'm living in some sort of a fantasy world because I don't believe in an intangible being who got bored one day and decided to make the universe?

I realise that life isn't simple at all, and frankly I don't understand how it all happened one bit. In reality, seeing as it's such a massive question, it seems a little futile trying to find an answer (Especially seeing as each religion claims to have the exlcusive truth). I'd much rather spend my time doing what I think is the right thing based on my experiences, and enjoying the time I do have, than cooking up reasons for being here. It just doesn't interest me one bit. As you said, that is because I have made my mind believe what I want, but so what? Looks like we all pick our own beliefs and go with them, but somehow you're saying that mine is misguided, simply because it's not the same as yours.

I agree, we live and die just like plants. When I'm dead, they'll stick me in a box in the ground, and after a bit my rotting corpse will be eaten by worms. I'm as comfortable with that as you'd expect.

I don't see how believing that I'm going to slowly decompose like all other living matter on the planet equates to living in a fantasy world, as opposed to thinking that if we're good little boys and girls God will take us away to live in heaven happily ever after. Believe what you want, don't get me wrong, it really doesn't bother me one bit what people believe. It's just not for me.

Hey sorry if anything I said offended you, just caught up in the debate I guess. Will leave it there then b4 things get out hand, hey and I do respect what you believe!!

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
last_chance said:
Other than the fact that I'm a muslim, abortion involves killing a life, and gay marriages is wrong, in my opinion.
why didnt you say you were muslim before?

abortion involves killing a life
yet its ok to ruin the lives of teenage mothers and take away the freedom of choice

gay marriages is wrong
great argument there

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
ogmzergrush said:

dam right ;)

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
last_chance said:
Hey sorry if anything I said offended you, just caught up in the debate I guess. Will leave it there then b4 things get out hand, hey and I do respect what you believe!!
dont go away im starting to get fired up here

get_born

im an idiot said:
dont go away im starting to get fired up here
hey that little debate was between me and someone else, so why are you getting fired up. But anyway Im bored so go ahead.

get_born

And when I apologised, didnt mean i was leaving, I was merely trying to be nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)