Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Arguements on religion will never be one. It is in many houses a form of conditioning that begins at a very young age and ppl are raised with this conditioning accordingly. I have nothing against it, but im simply poining out that ppl have strong ideas in there mind- and it matters not what arguement some 1 presents whether its for another religion or no thesim, a person will GENERALLY never see otherwise.

Ppl are happy with things they have raised with, and most ppl hate change. Its a fact. I just think everyone should be given the right to make their own mind up about religion. It is very sad to see kids born in some countries where they have no choice in what to worship, and speaking out sthe religion of the state will hav severe consequences.

Just be happy we hav the right to make our own minds up in Australia- definately the lucky country.

jez-lil-bitty

HSC
definately none
iv had bad experiences with religion
where i was made believe in what was known to their group as
Christianity
but was more of a colt where the men controlled everything
n they believed in demons
so once gettin out iv realised
that life is to short to listen to what other people
preach to u u need to feel ur own way n believe wat u want
not be governed by others

jez-lil-bitty

HSC
definately none
Christianity

HSC
jez-lil-bitty said:
definately none
Christianity

Fantastic post, so good I read it both times.

Last edited:

Odette1990

HSC
I dont know what I believe in to be honest, Ive been told there's some sort of supreme being/creator or whatever. Even though Im from a Catholic family I just dont have a religion, I kinda have the belief just like the ones shown in The Secret, that we're energy so we're not really made from anyone as such, however there is something more powerful than us/ a higher being "the universe" , and that we shape our lives, no one else can change your life but you, you have the ability to control what goes on in your life just by your thoughts, remember the mind is a powerful thing. :) Hope I didnt scare anyone lol

coopert

HSC
I am an Athiest but have friends who are christians and muslims.
While I am accepting of other religions; personally the whole notion of Genisis and God creating the world in 7 days seems really childish..

I think that people invented religion to explain the unexplainable, back in the days before Science and Astronomy and Physics etc.

In those days, religion would have also been a good method of socialization and would have promoted social cohesion through strict Moral Codes and the threat of going to Hell and so on

I dont see the relevance of religion in 2007. I mean, every war and conflict throughout history has been based on religion in some way or another.

I belive that the only thing certain in life is that our bodies will eventually cease to exist. We should make the most of our time on Earth before we die.

Many people can't understand WHY where here; I dont think about it. I'm here now and thats all I care about lol

Anyways, thats enough from me.

C-ya!

aussiechica7

HSC
coopert most of the bloodshed in the 20th century had to do with antireligion not religion. and most of the founders of the modern scientific method were devout Christians and Jews.

but i respect that u've thought through your views and respect other people's right to their views 2 :)

vallakid

HSC
Religious Notes

Hehehe the good old religion thread :p

Basically If there is no god then life has no meaning and no purpose so why not go kill yourself or go on a killing spree>?

why listen to other people>?

why follow rules?

Because we are all born with a basic instinct to do right

and why would we have that if theres no reason to do good?

No heaven and hell then no action and consequence therefore if you dont believe in god and satan n all of it then why are you bothering to argue with religious people? why not bash their face in?

because we all know that that is wrong because theres a reason to live and a place to go when we die, we all know it.

besides - If i believe and its not real i've lost nothing - if i don't believe and it is real i've lost everything...

Peace out

.ShAkEdOwN.

HSC
nothing to lose, everything to gain.
i believe in god.

...yet harry potter is my religion just for now :]

B

Badgersprite

To quote a friend of mine, "I believe in Science!"

I just believe that it's incredibly likely that any religion I follow will be wrong. I know what I believe is possible, though, and so I don't 'rule out' a lot of things, but a lot is just scary when you actually take the time to read about it.

zoqaeski

HSC
I M J O S H said:
Atheist.

I believe the concept of an omnipotent being is moronic.

Seriously, it cracks me up just thinking about it.:haha:
hmmm... all seeing and all knowing being? very unlikely imho, although if such a being presented itself in a way that could not be denied or explained by any other means (i.e. not some other person's interpretation of an otherwise explainable event), i s'pose i wouldn't have any choice but to believe... for now i'll simply be somewhat apathetic about the existence of such a being.

as for all those ones who claim that the universe has to have been created for us, it cannot be a coincidence, etc etc... well, just quote Douglas Adams:
... imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.
As quoted in Richard Dawkins' Eulogy for Douglas Adams

mable

HSC
I personally do not believe in a god even though I've been brought up to do so. I think religion is way too complicated to immediately believe in a single being and base everything on the fact that such a thing exists. As someone said before I believe in science. I believe it explains some of what religion has struggled to explain and although I dont believe everything in life has to be proven to be believed religion has never proven anything to me. Religion acts as a comfort to alot of people, giving them a reason and a meaning and belief in god and heaven and salvation.

This might sound like a contradiction but respect religion and I admire those who can place so much faith in it, in a way I wish I could do that. Believing in god is not a bad thing. I think there has to be something out there, if humankind exists something else has to but I dont think that will ever be explained and its not meant to be. and whoever said that without god there is no meaning well we will never know what the meaning of life is, so why does god have to be the reason behind it. sorry for boring you thats the end of my essay..:sleep:

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
None.

I used to consider myself Christian. I think it was Year 8 that I started to read the Bible? Shitty things happened, and a couple of my Christian friends convinced me that God was the only way for me to feel better. I believed it because I wanted to. Yeah, this guy called Jesus loves me and died for me, and I can have a relationship with him and never have to feel lonely or confused again. He’ll help me through all of life’s woes.

And yet… he never did. So many people talk about God “speaking to them” and answering their prayers. Well either God’s perpetually pissed off at me and ignoring me on purpose, or he just doesn’t give a shit, because not once did he give me reply. No matter how many times over how many years I prayed to him, I got nothing. That’s when I started moving away from Christianity, though I never told my friends. The fact is I could never get my head around many of the Christian ideologies. I disagreed with so many aspects of it, but just ignored all of that under the reassure that “if I still accept Jesus as my saviour it doesn’t really matter if I disagree with everything else in the Bible”.

If God does exist, why would he honestly care about what one individual does with his/her life? Religion itself is really just a hypocritical way of scaring and guilting people out of their freedom and will. So morality is defined by inconsequential tidbits like sexual orientation; things that bear absolutely no meaning to a person’s character? You’re telling me this God is willing to allow someone he Loves with a capital L to burn in hell for all eternity simply because they’re not straight? How could God, all omnipotent and great, be that fucking petty and bigoted?

Maybe God does exist. I admit, sometimes I like to think so. I still maintain though that if he does, he's just sitting back playing minesweeper, with absolutely no care about what goes on in this world. And why should he?

Raaaaaachel

HSC
The christians will tell you that you didn't have enough "faith." They love that one, have faith that there is a god, that the bible is the word of god and therefore you should have faith the everything in the bible is true and you should accept it unconditionally. In this context "faith" seems to be a synonym for ignorance and stupidity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)